Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta MacOSX

OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta MacOSX
Leonida
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2005, 09:54 AM

A pretty up-to-date build can be found over the net.
Info, links and screenshot here.
FreeSMUG-Free/opensource Sw Mac User Group - carracho://freesmug.org
copyleft audio stream (iTunes or any mp3 player): http://radioleonida.dyndns.org:8010

Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2005, 01:49 PM

Too Window-ish for me... I'll stick to Office
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

AmericanPsych0
Mar 24, 2005, 10:29 PM

Doesn't look too hot. 'sides, I'm managing just fine with Nisus Writer Express.

Originally posted by Ilja:
*laughs* Read that over again to yourself. I know what you mean, but it's so ironic.
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

dru
Senior User
Mar 25, 2005, 04:16 AM

Not everyone has Office or likes it.

I tried out NeoOffice/J which is the Mac Java StarOffice / OpenOffice thing and the Word filter is fantastically improved over earlier versions. It imported a several-hundred page document with images with no errors. I could scroll, make edits and so forth without issue. I was quite pleased. I'm using patch 10? and it's pretty quick. Sure it looks 'ugly' but the menu bar is where is should be for Mac apps. They're making really good strides.

I thought OpenOffice had actually be depricated on Mac OS X in favor of NeoOffice/J?
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

mrbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2005, 08:04 PM

that's what I remember reading too about it being no longer developer for MacOS X in favor of NeoOffice/J. Looks like they did an about face.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2005, 09:03 AM

Misconception - here are the facts:

OpenOffice.org for X11 is actively being developed and is essential for any version of OpenOffice.org for the Mac to occur. Without OOo for X11, there would be no Mac OOo at all and without OOo 2.0 for X11 there definitely won't be a Mac version of OOo 2.0 of any description.

NeoOfficeJ is effectively the same as OOo 1.1.x for X11, but modified to run in OS X and use more and more OS X features in place of OOo or X11 ones.

A fully native OpenOffice.org for the Mac, essentially built from the ground up, is what is stalled. It was hoped that the code for OOo 2.0 would make it easier to develop a fully MacOS X native version, but that hasn't proved to be anywhere near the case - and this is why all the focus on a native version of OOo has shifted to improving NeoOfficeJ. Whether there will be a NeoOfficeJ 2.0 is dependent on two things - a functioning OOo 2.0 for X11 and more time and money to the two developers involved in the NeoOfficeJ project to allow them to get NeoOfficeJ up to speed with the latest version of OOo. Any other developers who want to help out with either the X11 or NeoOffice versions would also speed things up a bit.

If you are interested in knowing more visit the NeoOffice and NeoWiki websites.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 29, 2005, 09:10 AM

Heheh. How ironic... Picking the MS app because it's less Windows-ish.

But yeah, I'll stick with MS Office too. Nice to see the open source projects progressing though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules