Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > apple keyboard usb ports useful for what

apple keyboard usb ports useful for what
mrbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 02:31 PM

Can anyone confirm the apple keyboard came with a USB extension cable or did that come with my mac mini? I can't remember.

Also what good are the 2 apple keyboard usb. I guess they're low powered so plugging a usb memory stick is a no go, mouse is a no go (I think).

Will it charge an ipod shuffle (it mentions something about it needing 10.3.6 or above to operate with low powered usb hubs). Does that mean it'll work but just not recharge?

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 03:13 PM

You are supposed to use one of them with your mouse. As far as I know it doesn't have an extension cable unless you have a PowerMac. Also, I never had a problem with using a USB flash drive when I had the keyboard. I doubt that it could charge a shuffle.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
You are supposed to use one of them with your mouse. As far as I know it doesn't have an extension cable unless you have a PowerMac. Also, I never had a problem with using a USB flash drive when I had the keyboard. I doubt that it could charge a shuffle.
Works with mouse, other keyboard, USB key and shuffle - I can confirm this.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 04:53 PM

works great with digital cameras, and convenient.
(also good for left-handers...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 05:01 PM

The Apple keyboard does come with the extension cable. I bought an apple keyboard from the apple store, and it did indeed have the extra cable.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by JazzCatDRP:
The Apple keyboard does come with the extension cable. I bought an apple keyboard from the apple store, and it did indeed have the extra cable.
Sorry about the misinformation. For some reason I was thinking the mini came with a keyboard and mouse. I forgot that there was actually a system that didn't include one

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 12, 2005, 06:53 PM

The ports aren't unpowered, they're low-power. They will work with any low-power-compatible device, which includes pretty much all mice, most late-model flash drives (it is dependent on the model of flash drive, not the keyboard), as well as any USB device that is self-powered, such as digital cameras, powered USB hubs, printers, most scanners, etc.

And of course, if you plug in a high-power device, if it's designed right, it won't just "not work right" -- you'll get a message on-screen telling you about the power problem.

toooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules