Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Strange Noise under Tiger

Strange Noise under Tiger
Cei
Apr 30, 2005, 07:48 AM

Dual 2.5 G5, 2Gb RAM, Radeon 9800XT OEM.

Updated to Tiger last night and went to bed...when I turned the machine on this morning I became aware of a very faint pulsing noise coming from the back of the G5 which hadn't been there before. It's now really irritating, as I can hear it all the time above the general running noise of the system. It's not that loud, but definitely audible.

How come an update to Tiger can cause this? Has anybody else experienced this at all?

Skaar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 08:37 AM

I've noticed the same pulsing noise coming from my G5 after installing Tiger as well, and it's starting to become annoying.
iMac Core Dou 17" 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM + 20" Dell Widescreen Display
15" PowerBook 1.3GHz

Cei  (op)
Apr 30, 2005, 08:49 AM

I'm on to AppleCare this second, will keep you updated!

Cei  (op)
Apr 30, 2005, 09:41 AM

Update:

Tier 1 were clueless.

Tier 2 were baffled, but eventually solved the problem.

First of all, run repair disk permissions. Then, delete your power management file in Library. Restart (your machine may actually crash), and it should be gone on boot.

Skaar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 08:44 PM

Thanks for checking this out with Apple. I just got home from work and tried it out and it works! Woohoo! Thanks!
15" PowerBook 1.3GHz

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cei
Update:

Tier 1 were clueless.

First of all, run repair disk permissions. Then, delete your power management file in Library. Restart (your machine may actually crash), and it should be gone on boot.
Glad Apple figured it out for you. Their tier 1 tech support reps work off a script and appear to be equally ignorant whether they are from here or overseas. Once you get to the second tier you're talking to knowledgeable staff.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Thomas_MacFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cei
Update:

Tier 1 were clueless.

This file? com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

I tried deleting this file now, and I did a restart, but I still hear cricket sounds when viewing the new RSS Visualizer in Tiger. Do you hear this sound too, when viewing the RSS Visualizer?
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5GHz (June 2004), 2GB ram, 570GB HD, Radeon 9600XT 128MB, OS X 10.4.5
Aluminium 20-inch Cinema Display

TheAlbinoBowler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 06:29 PM

yeah, i've been researching this as well, and the only thing that I can find to stop it is disabling Nap from the chud tools, but I keep reading this isn't recommended for prolonged amounts of time...if deleting a pref file can help this that would rule. so is it the file Thomas_MacFreak specified?

Thomas_MacFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheAlbinoBowler
yeah, i've been researching this as well, and the only thing that I can find to stop it is disabling Nap from the chud tools, but I keep reading this isn't recommended for prolonged amounts of time...if deleting a pref file can help this that would rule. so is it the file Thomas_MacFreak specified?
I have also had success on getting rid of the cricket sounds by turning off NAP with CHUD tools (Processor pref.pane), but as you say, Apple does not recommend turning NAP off.

I have tried deleting the pref-file several times now, rebooted, reset PRAM, without any luck. I notice a little intermittent electrical beep if I set the processors to perform at "Highest" speed (Energy Saver settings). This beep goes away when the processors are set back to "Automatic". I believe that is why those of you who tried to delete the PowerManagement.plist file got rid of the beeping. You maybe had your processors set to "Highest", and then when deleting the pref.file the power settings changed back to defaults ("Automatic").

I am thinking about calling Apple support soon(I have AppleCare on my system), but will do some more research before I do that.
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5GHz (June 2004), 2GB ram, 570GB HD, Radeon 9600XT 128MB, OS X 10.4.5

killabyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 12:25 AM

I just got my PowerMac G5 today and noticed the same weird electrical chirping under CPU load. Disabling nap does the trick but I can't get this other method for solving it to work. Hopefully Apple comes up with a fix.

Thomas_MacFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by killabyte
I just got my PowerMac G5 today and noticed the same weird electrical chirping under CPU load. Disabling nap does the trick but I can't get this other method for solving it to work. Hopefully Apple comes up with a fix.
This electrical chirping was present during the early days of Panther too (10.3.4, 10.3.5). It was gone in 10.3.6 through 10.3.9. When upgrading to Tiger, the chirping has come back. As you say, turning off NAP does the trick, but it is not smart to do that. Your processors rise to the max temperature and stays there (80ļæ½ celsius), until your turn on NAP again. Apple has done major changes under the hood (in the kernel) of Mac OS X Tiger. Read more about that here: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/4

I believe some of these changes may be the reason why the chirping is back.

Cei  (op)
May 4, 2005, 06:02 AM

Ah ha...time to ring AppleCare again then - I don't want my CPUs trolling along on Automatic, as it seems to take a while to notice I actually want to do some work!

Thomas_MacFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cei
Ah ha...time to ring AppleCare again then - I don't want my CPUs trolling along on Automatic, as it seems to take a while to notice I actually want to do some work!
Please let us know what AppleCare has to say . That would be much appreiciated!

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2005, 11:56 PM

I have the same chirping noise, about once per second, that you can hear when idling (e.g. when reading this post).

I repaired permissions, removed the power management plist, rebooted; no change.

So if anyone finds another fix, please post!

Also, under the default account the PM will sleep. Under my wife's account, migrated from a Mac mini, the display will sleep but the PM will not. Yet Energy Saver shows identical settings for each account (indeed, the power management plist is in /System not ~/System). Any ideas why the PM wouldn't sleep?

Cei  (op)
May 9, 2005, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas_MacFreak
Please let us know what AppleCare has to say . That would be much appreiciated!
Am planning to ring them this week - need to find the spare hour or two it always takes! I might email the guy who dealt with the case though...

NY152
Forum Regular
May 9, 2005, 06:41 AM

Sorry for the dumb question. What is NAP and what does it do?

Thanks
<over-large signature edited by management>

Thomas_MacFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by NY152
Sorry for the dumb question. What is NAP and what does it do?

Thanks
Computer Hardware Understanding Development Tools (CHUD Tools)

The CHUD Tools are applications and tools for measuring and optimizing software performance on Mac OS X as well as for hardware bringup and system benchmarking.

The CHUD Tools are delivered as a part of the Xcode Tools for Tiger.

Read more here:
http://developer.apple.com/tools/per.../overview.html

When you install CHUD tools, you get a new System Preference pane, called Processor. In there you can disable NAP. Apple does not recommend doing this. Your fans speed up, but you get rid of the crickets. I have tried it, and it works, but I do not want my processors or fans going bananas, so I will wait for Apple or somebody else to come with an other solution.

I've read in the Apple Discussions that some owners of the new Power Mac G5 Dual 2.3 and Dual 2.7GHz, do not experience any soft beeps/chirps/crickets. Apple must fix this soon, for all other PM G5-users too.

Skaar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 09:12 AM

Well, the chirping is back. I went into the energy saver preference and set the processor speed to highest, and as soon as I did it started again.
15" PowerBook 1.3GHz

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2005, 09:03 AM

I've got this too!

callefoss
May 10, 2005, 09:06 AM

me too. Pretty fu%*#ing annoying.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 09:18 AM

I'm picking up a new power supply and installing it this afternoon. My system chirps badly with the RSS screensaver. I'll post back if it solved the problem, but from what I've seen and read, it's about a 50/50 chance of getting a non chirping power supply.

callefoss
May 10, 2005, 09:28 AM

are you saying that Tiger damages the power supply!? Can't be..or?
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz, 1.5GB RAM & MacBook 1.83, 1.25GB RAM
OS X 10.5.2
www.blurimage.com

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by callefoss
are you saying that Tiger damages the power supply!? Can't be..or?
No, not damage.. but it does some things that seem to increase the likelihood of hearing the chirp (such as the RSS screensaver). This article from ars explains it exactly. It's been a problem since the G5s first came out, and mentioned in these boards several times. I never had it before because I used to have a single G5 and they weren't affected. Now that I have a dual, the noise is driving me nuts.

NY152
Forum Regular
May 10, 2005, 12:06 PM

My new dual 2.7 has the notorious chirping. But like others here only when I have the processor speed set to highest. When in automatic no noise.
<over-large signature edited by management>

I'm Matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2005, 12:10 PM

Mark me as one more annoyed customer. It is things like this that will make me buy the extended AppleCare.

callefoss
May 10, 2005, 12:17 PM

well it has to be a software issue since I did not have this under 10.3.6-9. Just have to wait for Apple to releaase an update I guess
OS X 10.5.2
www.blurimage.com

I'm Matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2005, 01:13 PM

i've had it since last july when i got the machine. 10.3-10.4 has always given me a problem. also it makes a high-pitched whine in column view if i click on a video file and the preview icon appears. very annoying.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 05:33 PM

It always happened to me when rending graphic on screen.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

starman
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2005, 09:23 PM

Ok, I'm not the only one.

Dual 2 GHz G5.

I get this annoying "chirping" noise which goes hand-in-hand with CPU usage. Scroll a web page - chirping. Run the RSS screen saver - LOTS of chirping!

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 10:11 PM

The original poster of this thread mentions this application which you can download and use to test your system for the chirp. It actually plays a tune with the power supply. It's very loud and annoying on my system.

funkysmurf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2005, 04:03 AM

It's happening here as well. Dual 2.5.
Watching tv on HD or RSS screensaver makes it more constant.
Would love a solution to this.
if at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not
for you

Cei  (op)
May 11, 2005, 05:47 AM

Righto, update from AppleCare...

My tier 3 technical support guy, Tomas(first name terms and all...) is worried. He's checking with the engineering department to see what's going on - I mentioned that other people are having the same issue and it's been tied down to the performance setting of the machine, and it's happening on the dual 2.7 model as well.

Hopefully I'll get an email from him sometime soon, with maybe some information from the engineering department. I've linked him to this thread as well.

Thomas_MacFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cei
My tier 3 technical support guy, Tomas(first name terms and all...) is worried. He's checking with the engineering department to see what's going on - I mentioned that other people are having the same issue and it's been tied down to the performance setting of the machine, and it's happening on the dual 2.7 model as well.

Hopefully I'll get an email from him sometime soon, with maybe some information from the engineering department. I've linked him to this thread as well.
Good to know they are on to the problem now! Thank you for your effort. Please let us know when you get an e-mail from AppleCare (Tomas)

zakatov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2005, 05:39 PM

My once-per-second chirping noise does not go away at Automatic CPU setting... It's insanely annoying and distracting. Brand new Dual 2ghz Rev C. Why by the 3rd revision Apple can't get this right is beyond me...
x Infinity

nod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 07:20 PM

This chirping has been an issue since the first rev. G5s. It's been quite an issue in the pro-audio world. I wonder why there are still techs in the Apple support world who still aren't aware of this issue, and better yet, why it's still such a major problem.

callefoss
May 17, 2005, 06:29 AM

does not seem as 10.4.1 solved the beeping issue
OS X 10.5.2
www.blurimage.com

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 06:58 AM

I used to have this on my RevB Dual 2.0, but it has been gone since 10.3.6 ... Hope Apple comes up with a solution for all of those who have this annoying problem.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 07:06 AM

I thought the chirp was dead way back when. My G5 has never chirped on 10.3.4, 10.3.5 and 10.3.9, set on Automatic.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Marv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 07:16 AM

Great. I was just going to pull the trigger and get Tiger. No thanks, I'll wait.

Darn!

Marv

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2005, 08:23 AM

hmmm - thought it had gone with 10.4.1, but was a brief lunch stop at home, so will have another listen after work to confirm [rev b dual 1.8]

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2005, 01:19 PM

Nope. i stand corrected, wasn't there when i got in, did some photo shop edits and it's come back again - that combined with the damn chirping something makes whenever i mess with images [is this the graphics card??]

Annoying, but still quieter than my PC!

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2005, 05:35 AM

My revision A Dual 2Ghz G5 chirps when it's working, such as rendering video in Final Cut or encoding video in Compressor, which is what it's doing right now. When it's doing nothing, setting Energy Saver to "Highest" performance will cause it to chirp all the time. Setting to "Automatic" keeps him quiet when he's not thinking. Been there through every OS X update that I'm aware of, including Tiger. Of course, there was that period of time with 10.3.7 or 10.3.8 (I don't remember which) where the fans went berserk about once an hour - that was really special.

It doesn't bother me too much because even with the electronic crickets Apple decided to bundle inside every Powermac G5, it's still a thousand times quieter than the Dual 1Ghz G4 Vacuum cleaner it replaced. Besides, when the chirping stops I know my render/encode is done
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

modernpixel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 12:42 AM

I have a first generation Dual 2.0Ghz. My machine used to have the baby bird chirping. But throughout the time I've had the machine (since whenever it was released) the sounds have morphed and grown. My machine has several very special sound effects now (I guess all you who are jealous will have to wait for your G5s to age a bit before they are able to manufacture this cacophony.)

1.) Cricket Chirping - this is the once per second chirp that happens when I using the computer at all, even moving the mouse around without touching anything.

2.) Pulsing - this annoys me the least, it's a constant mechanical heartbeat.

3.) Alien Morse Code - this is like cricket chirping, but much louder and in constant chunks of repetition. It happens when portions of the GUI are being toyed with (scrolling, moving windows, RSS screensaver, playing Quicktime movies.)

4.) Crickets on Crack - this is the absolute worst of them all. It happens whenever I'm doing anything processor intensive. It is at it's peak when using Motion and realtime playback. It is a VERY loud, sped up version of the cricket chirping that sounds like electrical screeching. The sound is so annoying, in fact, that my roommate can hear it from across the room, so I have to limit my Motion time to when he isn't around. Truly a nightmare.

Set processor to different speeds - no difference.
Tried trashing the powermanagement prefs. - nothing.
Have run all flavors of OS X since Jaguar and the machine has chirped through all of them.
Haven't done the CHUD trick - I don't think I should have to worry about a meltdown just to override a clear defect in Apple's machines.

It kills me that Apple won't directly address this problem. It's criminal.

Frida's Boss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 08:41 AM

I believe that my machine is talking to your machine using the Alien Morse CodeĀ® you mentioned above. 'Tis crap.

flanders
Forum Regular
May 25, 2005, 11:56 AM

You don't need to fix the chirping, just run iTunes more often with larger speakers.

Frida's Boss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 12:40 PM

And if you can still hear it then get better speakers.

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 05:04 PM

ANd if that doesn't work get some headphones, big ones...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Frida's Boss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
The original poster of this thread mentions this application which you can download and use to test your system for the chirp. It actually plays a tune with the power supply. It's very loud and annoying on my system.
I tried this and it made me laugh. It also pissed me off.
Any of you have success in getting the PS replaced and having it fix the problem?

Nelsun
Jun 1, 2005, 01:07 AM

Can someone record this sound and host it somewhere? I just got my first G5, a 2.7. So I have no previous experience to judge by. Thanks!

I'm Matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 10:13 PM

Here is a recording I made using my iPod and the Belkin mic. I used the SystemLoad app mentioned earlier in the thread to provide the 100% load on both of the processors.
Apple really screwed the G5 owners with these defective power supplies and it is about time they own up to it and replace these pieces of shite. Thank you and have a fantasgreat day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules