Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac to run final cut and Avid

mac to run final cut and Avid
TheMule
May 25, 2005, 02:50 PM

I am new to Macs and am wondering if someone could give me some advise.

I need a Mac that will run Final Cut and AVID well and I don’t want to overpay and get more computer then I need, any advice?

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2005, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by TheMule
I am new to Macs and am wondering if someone could give me some advise.

I need a Mac that will run Final Cut and AVID well and I don’t want to overpay and get more computer then I need, any advice?

Well, you're describing the iMac G5 17 inch 2.0 ghz. You'll need the dvd burner but not the 20 inch screen real estate. G5 is the way to go with editing so avoid the eMac Mini and laptop computers.

Regards,

PeteWK

Cei
May 26, 2005, 05:03 AM

I'd beg to differ to PeteWK on a few points...

I edit on a 20" Cinema Display, with a 19" as my secondary. Even then I keep wanting more space - I'm looking at replacing the 20" with a 23" HD display. I really couldn't imagine editing on a single 17" screen.

As for speed, an iMac 2.0Ghz would be okay, I guess, when fully loaded with RAM. I'm using a dual 2.5Ghz system with 4Gb of RAM in it currently, and I can still get slowdown. The fact that the PowerMac has a 1.25ghz FSB compared to the 667Mhz of the iMac also has quite an impact.

So, I'd recommend a PowerMac (dual CPU variety), with an attendant 20 or 23" Cinema Display. A minimum of 2Gb of RAM, and more hard drive space than you can shake a stick at. This is, of course, assuming you're serious about your editing. If you're just messing around (though it doesn't sound like you are), then a 2.0Ghz/20" iMac may do.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 01:09 PM

I'm in a similar situation. I'm going to film school next year, where I'll be using FCP exclusively for the first year, both FCP and Avid the second year, and, I think, pretty much all Avid the last two years. I was planning to get a 20" iMac both because of the size (those huge G5 towers aren't exactly dorm-friendly) and the value versus the powermacs. I'll eventually hook up the two SATA drives that are currently in my PC to whatever computer i get for a total of 610GB of storage (assuming a 250GB internal drive), so I think that should be sufficient. I doubt i'll be editing any feature-length or effects-heavy stuff for film school, so would this be a suitable computer?

-Max

"I start fires!"

Cei
May 27, 2005, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
I'm in a similar situation. I'm going to film school next year, where I'll be using FCP exclusively for the first year, both FCP and Avid the second year, and, I think, pretty much all Avid the last two years. I was planning to get a 20" iMac both because of the size (those huge G5 towers aren't exactly dorm-friendly) and the value versus the powermacs. I'll eventually hook up the two SATA drives that are currently in my PC to whatever computer i get for a total of 610GB of storage (assuming a 250GB internal drive), so I think that should be sufficient. I doubt i'll be editing any feature-length or effects-heavy stuff for film school, so would this be a suitable computer?

-Max
You going to be using Motion much, or the multi-camera setup of FCP5? Those are the things that really start punishing your system...especially when you've got FCP running at the same time as Motion, probably with Soundtrack as well.

In regards to being dorm friendly, I had no problems fitting a G5, a full-tower PC, 3 monitors and attendant bits and pieces in mine. Sure, my desk was full, but it went in! I stacked a load of I/O devices and A/V devices ontop of the G5 (multi-region DVD player linked to my input card, external HDDs and DVD writers). A G5 tower isn't that much bigger than your average PC.

If you're happy to go the route of external storage, then the expansion capability of the iMac is somewhat negated. I just admit I did find a speed boost when I updated my system drive to a Raptor 10,000 rpm and stuck the 250Gb 7,200 as my secondary. 610Gb should be enough for editing average projects - but be sure to stock up on DVD-Rs for archiving.

If you go the iMac route, load it out. That means 2Gb of RAM, and the biggest hard drive you can find. Get the 20" model over the 17", as those extra 3" mean a hell of a lot.

I find that the G5 represents an investment. I can upgrade it in the future well beyond what I could do with an iMac - need more RAM? Sure, I can get 8Gb in there. Need A/V capture? No problem - got some PCI-X slots for that. Need a second display bigger than 20", go up to 30"...times two. Need a third monitor? add a PCI Radeon card in to run that extra display or two (I've got mine linked to a TV for checking final output).

Finally, H.264.
My dual 2.5 runs H.264 perfectly, with no dropping. I tried it on our iMac (ok, it's a 1.8Ghz, not a 2.0, but I dont think that's a major difference), and the performance was woeful. The graphics card simply cannot handle it. Considering I've already outputted one completed project entirely in H.264, I think ensuring that future compatability is important.

Oh, and get the custom FCP keyboard. Makes everything easier.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 01:09 PM

I ordered a 20" 2GHz iMac. I can't imagine ever needing to use Motion, besides just messing around with it for fun. I'm going to film school, so I doubt the projects will be really effects/graphics heavy. And, on the off-chance that I do need it once in a while, I can hunt down a lab computer and use it on there. The iMac is just a much more economical choice.

A PowerMac, once you add an equivalent screen and the other little accessories and RAM and stuff, is basically a thousand dollars more than the iMac, which is just more than I can afford. I ordered an extra gig of RAM for it, so I'll have 1.5GB for now. Come fall when i start college, I'll probably get another gig and max it out.

Oh, and I was at an apple store the other day messing around with one of the iMacs, and the 20" iMac with only 512mb RAM could play 720p H.264 just fine. the 1080p samples looked like they played at around 15-20FPS, but 720p looked great.

"I start fires!"

Cei
May 27, 2005, 01:33 PM

If you're not using Motion etc, then the PM becomes less vital. Just straight FCP doesn't need quite the same level of power...

Glad the GPU upgrade for the iMacs sorted H.264 somewhat though, though the lack of 1080 would irk me a little. C'est la vie though!

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cei
I'd beg to differ to PeteWK on a few points...

I edit on a 20" Cinema Display, with a 19" as my secondary. Even then I keep wanting more space - I'm looking at replacing the 20" with a 23" HD display. I really couldn't imagine editing on a single 17" screen.

As for speed, an iMac 2.0Ghz would be okay, I guess, when fully loaded with RAM. I'm using a dual 2.5Ghz system with 4Gb of RAM in it currently, and I can still get slowdown. The fact that the PowerMac has a 1.25ghz FSB compared to the 667Mhz of the iMac also has quite an impact.

So, I'd recommend a PowerMac (dual CPU variety), with an attendant 20 or 23" Cinema Display. A minimum of 2Gb of RAM, and more hard drive space than you can shake a stick at. This is, of course, assuming you're serious about your editing. If you're just messing around (though it doesn't sound like you are), then a 2.0Ghz/20" iMac may do.

Um, OK. And I beg to differ with you. You rambled off an a tirade about a bunch of pro equipment that when added up cost 5000 dollars (2.5 DP PowerMac, 23 inch HD, and 4 gig of ram).

I could have just told the guy to go mortgage his house and get the world but I don't think a newbie user with a rating of "1" wants to hear that. My advise still stands and it's still the best in the "iMac, eMac and Mac mini" Forum.

Perhaps if he were asking in the PowerMac Forum and didn't seem so price sensitive I would have given him other advise.

PeteWK

Cei
May 30, 2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by PeteWK
Um, OK. And I beg to differ with you. You rambled off an a tirade about a bunch of pro equipment that when added up cost 5000 dollars (2.5 DP PowerMac, 23 inch HD, and 4 gig of ram).

I could have just told the guy to go mortgage his house and get the world but I don't think a newbie user with a rating of "1" wants to hear that. My advise still stands and it's still the best in the "iMac, eMac and Mac mini" Forum.

Perhaps if he were asking in the PowerMac Forum and didn't seem so price sensitive I would have given him other advise.

PeteWK
Not quite. I compared what I use - coming up with the conclusion that the 17" screen is too small. The 20" iMac would be a much better choice. Sure, everybody would love multiple screen setups but it is often too expensive.

"As for speed, an iMac 2.0Ghz would be okay, I guess, when fully loaded with RAM".
Bingo if they can't afford the PM option, that's my recommended alternative.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cei
Not quite. I compared what I use - coming up with the conclusion that the 17" screen is too small. The 20" iMac would be a much better choice. Sure, everybody would love multiple screen setups but it is often too expensive.

"As for speed, an iMac 2.0Ghz would be okay, I guess, when fully loaded with RAM".
Bingo if they can't afford the PM option, that's my recommended alternative.
I was referring to your ENTIRE comment, "So, I'd recommend a PowerMac (dual CPU variety), with an attendant 20 or 23" Cinema Display. A minimum of 2Gb of RAM, and more hard drive space than you can shake a stick at. This is, of course, assuming you're serious about your editing. If you're just messing around (though it doesn't sound like you are), then a 2.0Ghz/20" iMac may do.

It's kinid of like telling someone to get a BMW when they've asked about comparing a Civic and Corolla.

Certainly, bigger is better and more is more. I'm not bagging on your Mac knowledge as I'd certainly rather work on a Dual 2.7 with 8 gigs of ram. But his question seemed much more cost sensitive than a PowerMac solution.

PeteWK

TheMule  (op)
Jun 9, 2005, 05:28 PM

I guess what I was really asking is if I could afford a PowerMac (dual CPU ), would it be best to just buy one, or lean how to edit on an imac?

I am looking at getting Final Cut Studio so I think I need a PowerMAc.

Would I notice a huge difference between the Dual 2.3GHz and 2.7GHz using Final Cut Studio?

Where is the best place to buy macs?

Cei
Jun 9, 2005, 05:37 PM

If you can afford a PM, go for it. There's quite a bit of difference between the PM and iMac, especially in upgrade terms.

Between the dual 2.3 and dual 2.7 I'd actually say get the dual 2.3 and spend the extra on RAM/graphics card (RAM being the priority). You'll get 'snappier' performance with more RAM. Sure, you'll run 400Mhz slower on each CPU, but you'll probably have a gig or more RAM you wouldn't have otherwise had.

I'd try springing for the GeForce 6800 if you can, Motion loves GPU...

Best place? Apple Store for Education. Third party, such as Crucial, for RAM.

TheMule  (op)
Jun 9, 2005, 06:50 PM

This is the Powermac I am thinking about getting.

• Dual 2.3GHz PowerPC G5• 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256• 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm• NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL w/256MB GDDR3 SDRAM• 16x SuperDrive double-layer (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)• Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English• Mac OS X - U.S. English• None
Estimated Ship:3-5 business daysFree Shipping
Subtotal $2,749.00

Then I’ll get 4gigs of Ram at crucial for $411.20.

Where should I buy the extra hard drive at?

How big / and what kind?

Cei
Jun 10, 2005, 04:58 AM

Your 250Gb drive will be fine as scratch/secondary, so a 10,000rpm Raptor as your primary is probably the best choice - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144160

4Gb of RAM is good - I'm running on 4Gb at the moment, and it's a good sweet spot I find.

Forum Links
Forum Rules