Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > any reason not to buy from apple store?

any reason not to buy from apple store?
delfmen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 05:42 PM

i am going to purchase a 17" powebook sometime this week or the next.

i was on the phone to apple one day and they warned me against buy from the apple store (storefront). i have one very close to my house and would rather buy from their so i don't have to wait for shipping.

their argument was that the computers their might be refurbished or not perfectly new and just a bunch of other random things. i wasn't sure if maybe these people get commission or what the deal is.

is there any legitimate reason not to buy from the apple storefronts?

thanks.

tcphoto
Jul 17, 2005, 05:48 PM

They would not match the memory upgrade that MacMall, MacConnection and others were offering. You will also pay sales tax at the Apple Store while the other generally do not.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2005, 06:14 PM

The machine will not be refurbished unless they say it is. So you'll get a brand new machine. If you shop at an internet retailer you may avoid sales tax but you'll probably pay for shipping. Compare the deals to find out which is better. Also, if you want Apple to build your machine to order you'll have no choice but to buy it from Apple's online store. Otherwise it doesn't matter where you buy it.

Chris

delfmen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 06:31 PM

ok sounds like ill go to the retail apple store then to pick it up..

the reason i'm not buying from a third party is because i am getting the 300 student discount and a free ipod (another 179 value) so apple seems to be the best option in my case.

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2005, 08:27 PM

Don't forget about the free printer!!

Linky

delfmen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 08:45 PM

o wow never knew about the printer deal. thanks for the heads up.

i can use the student discount, the free ipod, and the 100 towards the printer all at once?

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2005, 08:47 PM

Yep

delfmen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 09:23 PM

can't beat that, ebay the ipod and printer and save more $$$$ on laptop

edit: do apple's come with more then 1 UPC label? because each (printer/ipod) requires an original comptuer UPC.
( Last edited by delfmen; Jul 17, 2005 at 09:30 PM. )

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2005, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by delfmen
can't beat that, ebay the ipod and printer and save more $$$$ on laptop

edit: do apple's come with more then 1 UPC label? because each (printer/ipod) requires an original comptuer UPC.
Hmmmm....good question. I didn't realize both offers required the UPC labels. I am pretty sure there is only one UPC on the Apple Powerbook box. Sorry for getting your hopes up. You might be able to call the Apple store and see if there is a way around this.

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2005, 10:55 PM

Here is another option if you want a Canon printer. They have a $70 rebate on their printers if you buy a computer with it. I don't think they have to be on the same receipt. The Canon Pixma ip3000 is on sale at CompUsa for $69.99. Or you can buy from Amazon for $78 (free shipping and no tax).

Canon iP3000

Rebate Link

Hope this helps

Forum Links
Forum Rules