Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quicksilver Vs G4 400

Quicksilver Vs G4 400
Juicebox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2001, 12:51 AM

Hello!

I haven't seen a Quicksilver in person. Is the back panel layout the same as the older G4 400 (Sawtooth)? Would the motherboards be able to fit in the other's case?

Or are the ports/ sockets in different positions?

I may have an opportunity for an upgraded motherboard. But would hate to not be able to put it in my Sawtooth case.

Thanks

jerry

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2001, 07:51 PM

I would doubt seriously if were to possible that it would fit. Even if it did, I would suspect that the ports would either not line up right or would not be the same either. Are you really trying to put something like an 867 motherboard in a G4 400 case?????? Even if this was possible you would also most likely not have the proper cooling as I have two fans (one the power supply and the other a large single fan) to properly cool my 867.

This does not seem to me to be a very logical idea as also the power supply might very well not be up to the task of powering the higher end motherboards. Hate to put a damper on things but, this seems to me to be a little less than a big waste of time.

Juicebox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2001, 10:24 PM

Well the answer is simple. My uncle is buying a Quicksilver 733. He only does word processing and e-mail. If the motrherboards layout are the same, for about $300 I can switch out out MB and I will have a 733mhz. I do video editing and this would be helpful.

It isn't a silly question. I have built many Macs over the past 10 years, and many of the motherboards layout remain the same as they upgrade. a 8500 motherboard would fit in an 850 950 or 9500 case.

The original G3 tower would fit in the Grey G4 case, and I don't think I'm too off in asking if this minor revision to the Quicksilver case would be the same.

Apple has no incentive to reconfigure the ports in the back of a case, or change the socket types (power supply, speaker, Ide, modem etc) if they don;'t have too.

So If anyone on this forum has access to a Quicksilver and the previous generation G4 (sawtooth), could you tell me if the motherboard is the same size, and the back panel the same layout.

Or if anyone can point me to some pictures of the rear panel of the Quicksilver case and motherboard. i can then compare for myself.

I sure would like to upgrade.

Thanks

J

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2001, 10:51 PM

Juicebox,
I meant no disrespect and am sorry if I sounded that way. I just wasn't sure what we were talking about here. Since I already have the 867, I will look up a friend who has a Sawtooth I think, and see what happens. get back to you later and have a safe day!!!!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules