Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Vista and 8 cores

Vista and 8 cores
Cei
May 30, 2008, 08:49 AM

I'm running a 2.8 Octocore Mac Pro with a Vista64 Boot Camp install. However, I'm getting rather frustrated as I think Vista is only using 4 of my 8 cores.

Task Manager only shows 4 graphs under CPU, yet I have seen other Mac Pro users with 8 - and I'll be darned if I can find any way to add more, which seems to imply there's only 4 in use. System Devices however, is showing all 8 E5462 cores as being there. Is Vista just being its usual (annoying) self, or is it actually just using 4 cores?

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2008, 01:21 PM

Are you using Vista Home? Home only supports 1 CPU, so 4 cores.

Cei  (op)
May 30, 2008, 07:34 PM

Home Premium - restriction still applies? If so, do I need to upgrade to Ultimate?

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2008, 11:57 AM

Home Basic and Home Premium (and Home N for the EUtards, if it was released) are all Vista Home and are limited to 1 CPU. Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate support 2 CPUs.

Cei  (op)
May 31, 2008, 01:35 PM

Nice move MS Time to upgrade methinks

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2008, 02:50 PM

It's a 6+ year old policy and noted in the system requirements.

Reading comprehension

cgc
Professional Poster
May 31, 2008, 03:08 PM

I doubt it will make any difference in performance using four or eight cores.

ghporter
Administrator
May 31, 2008, 08:28 PM

I have to admit that I rarely actually read through all of an OS's system requirements. I have run the Vista prep tool to see if my machine will work (it's an iMac; it had better) with Vista, and I'd have just blundered my way into using it. Not smart on my part, but it's a habit. On the other hand, my school is selling Vista Ultimate at the bookstore on our Campus Level Agreement, so the pain is very minor.

Still not convinced I should even bother with Vista though...XP does fine for my needs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2008, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have to admit that I rarely actually read through all of an OS's system requirements. I have run the Vista prep tool to see if my machine will work (it's an iMac; it had better) with Vista, and I'd have just blundered my way into using it. Not smart on my part, but it's a habit. On the other hand, my school is selling Vista Ultimate at the bookstore on our Campus Level Agreement, so the pain is very minor.

Still not convinced I should even bother with Vista though...XP does fine for my needs.
Intel iMacs will run Vista fine... why you'd want to (you're not going to be playing DX10 games with those crummy mobile video cards) is the question.

Cei  (op)
Jun 1, 2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It's a 6+ year old policy and noted in the system requirements.

Reading comprehension
Must admit, the last time I checked the system requirements for an OS was, well, never. I assumed MS would do the decent thing and actually support the whole lot, rather than further confusing matters - after all, Apple let you have as many as you like with a single OS edition for desktops.

The most ridiculous thing is that an OEM copy of Vista Ultimate will run me £117, but an upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate is £107. Nice maths.

Forum Links
Forum Rules