Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Strange problem w/ 9.2 on G3???

Strange problem w/ 9.2 on G3???
Juicebox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2002, 07:08 PM

Hello!

I had 9.2 running fine on a beige g3 desktop 233. Then suddenly I could not start-up past the Opent Transport icon. I'd get BUS ERROR. I could not get it to work w/ ext off. Or even starting up from the 9.2.1 Start-up CD. Same problem.

I was able te reinstall the original; 8.1 System. So I don't think it is a hardware problem? I need a new OS to use my USB card and ethernet for my cable modem?

Any ideas?

I don't have access to any softaware other than 9.2 and 8.1. I guess if I could get up to 8.6 I could use my cable modem again.

Thank

Jerry

Mac-Guy
Jan 21, 2002, 05:57 PM

Did you install anything before the bus error started to occur?

Try this:

Start up with the spacebar down. That will open the Extensions Manager. Select 8.1 Base and then continue. If your Mac then boots up fine, I'd say you have an extension problem of some sort.

Could also be that the flavor of OS 9.2 on the CD isn't compatible as a startup disk for your older hardware. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on that will chime in here soon about that.
Otis Day?? He loves us!

Juicebox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2002, 06:15 PM

Hello!

I installed 9.2.1 from a G4 quicksilver CD on my mothers g3 233 beige desktop. It installed and operated greast for a couple months. All I did was remove a CDburner installed to move it to a PC to be able to flash the bios. I installed the original CD-rom it came with. Upon start up just after the open transport icon comes on I get a bus error. This happens from the 9.2 CD as well. It also happens with the shift key down.

I don't think there is a hardware problem. I installed the original 8.1 CD. It works fine. I just don't have any installers inbetween 8.1 and 9.2.

The problem is she can't use the USB card, cablemodem and Photoshop 6 with 8.1.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Originally posted by Mac-Guy:
<STRONG>Did you install anything before the bus error started to occur?

Try this:

Start up with the spacebar down. That will open the Extensions Manager. Select 8.1 Base and then continue. If your Mac then boots up fine, I'd say you have an extension problem of some sort.

Could also be that the flavor of OS 9.2 on the CD isn't compatible as a startup disk for your older hardware. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on that will chime in here soon about that.</STRONG>

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2002, 08:53 PM

Though its been done in a few rare cases, i would never ever recommend to anyone to try and use a system disk from another computer on a machine of any model except its own. Inevitably, the quicksilver system contains elements built specifically for itself, such as altivec support etc. Dont worry, you shouldnt have hurt anything though. Just make sure that when you downgraded back to system 8.1, that you perform a clean installation to get rid of extensions you don't need, which may fowl up the system.

There is quite frankly, only one reasonable option for you here. You'll just have to buy the system disc for either 8.6 or 9.x. Regardless of how well it seemed to run, the machine will never run properly under the operating system contained on a quicksilver disc, nor any other computer's disc. You have to understand that the system cds that come come with macintoshes are hardware specific. Apple does this purposely so that you cant install the system onto other computers. The CD you'll have to get needs to be a universal system install. You can get these just about anywhere, but if you'd prefer to run 8.6 for some reason, you can get an 8.6 disc from most mac resellers.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2002, 10:48 PM

Not sure of when they change, but my 8500 won't take anything newer than 9.1
From what you say, you had it running, then swapped the CDR(W) for the original CD-ROM and started getting the bus errors.

Zap the PRAM and/or hit the CUDA -
waving a rubber chicken would't hurt either.

Good luck

<anonymous>
Jan 22, 2002, 03:20 PM

See what icon (extension) is supposed to load after the Open Transport icon (extension) during bootup. Change it's title so that it loads before the OT exten. (instead of trying to load after right now) and see if it makes a difference. If not, it still may be that extension (i.e. maybe it became corrupted somehow). Replace that extension and see if that does it.

As explained above though you really can't expect to be able to mix and match OSs with machines. Apple wouldn't sell any new computers that way. Can't blame them.

Juicebox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2002, 04:35 PM

Interesrting idea.

The G3 ran fine with the G4 9.2.1 system. The problem that is confusing is that when the bus error problem began, the G3 would not start up with the G4 CD (9.2.1) either. Since the ext on the CD could not have been corrupted. Something chaged with the hardware for it to not like 9.2 or Open Transport or the ext which comes after it. That is what is really confusing. I'm getting an 8.6 CD today. I removed the battery for 30 min to clear the PRAM. Maybe that didn't work?

Thanks again

<anonymous>
Jan 22, 2002, 05:57 PM

Can't see it hurting to try different versions of those extensions in question and/or in a different loading order.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 05:02 PM

Unplug the power cord, then hold the power button in for about five seconds.This drains the power supply's filter caps.
Then press the CUDA switch for about two seconds.
When zapping the PRAM, "cmd-opt-p-r", hold the keys thru 3-4 "bong-restart" cycles.

That's as clean as the hardware's gonna get.

Forum Links
Forum Rules