Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Broken .img/.dmg files?

Broken .img/.dmg files?
prolix
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2002, 08:08 PM

I have a bunch of .img and .dmg files that will not mount. If I attempt to mount the .dmg files it just fails with no real error. It craps out about 1/3 through the checksum.

With the .img files I get error 95, unmountable file system.

I had been storing these files on another system (one running linux and another running winblows) while I changed some stuff on my mac. But with the files now back on my mac's storage drive some (not all) of these files don't seem to want to mount.

So does anyone know the possible cause? I'm running 10.2.1. I've moved files between PC's, Linux boxes, and Mac's before with zero problem. Why suddenly would I experience problems? Other files that were .sit work fine, toast images seem ok, even other .dmg and .img files are ok, its just a select few that seem broken.

If the files are in fact damaged is there any way to repair them? I've read DiskWarrior 'may' help but spending 70 bux on a 'may' seems like a poor decision.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 10:37 PM

The .img format actually keeps a resource fork as well as a data fork, and is thus prone to data loss in flat filesystems. It appears that what's kept in the resource fork is a catalogue of sorts that tells Disk Copy where in the dar fork to look for things... it might be possible to reconstruct that, but I haven't the faintest idea how. Good luck!

(The .dmg format still uses resources, but the two forks are serialized together into one, so it doesn't have issues with being stored on different filesystems. So the issues you're having with those must have a different cause... try checking the Console logs, perhaps?)
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2002, 03:43 AM

Also, .img is the extension that was used on the now-kaput Aladdin ShrinkWrap disk images. I have tried all sorts of tricks and have found it to be completely impossible to mount them on OSX. I have to reboot into OS9, mount them, save them as a different format, and reboot into OSX.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Forum Links
Forum Rules