Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > MRTG, SNMP & Airport Base Station

MRTG, SNMP & Airport Base Station
prolix
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2002, 01:16 PM

Has anyone gotten MRTG to work with an airport base station? I know the whole thing is managed with SNMP and you can enable WAN access via SNMP, so would it be logical to assume I can monitor it with MRTG from outside the LAN?

So far I've had no luck, but I don't know what the community names are for the airport. I'm assuming the default public and private but I get zero success with either of those if I attempt to build the MRTG config with public@airportip or private@

If anyone has gotten this working I'd like to know how you did it. I have a Cisco 675 router and there are tons of problems getting those to accurately graph data with mrtg, so I figured the next best was to monitor my airport behind the router (which is doing dhcp to my lan and port forwarding).

Thanks

Camelot
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2002, 05:27 PM

IMHO, the person who came up with the default 'public' and 'private' community names should be shot right after all the developers/engineers who design products that ship with these names enabled by default!.

That said, you should be able to use SNMP to get stats off the box. If I remember rightly you use the base station password as the community name.

That said, don't do this unless you're using WEP or are running MRTG on a hardwired system (i.e. not over the air). SNMP queries (including the community name) are sent in plain text and is too easy to snoop. Since it is the same as your base station password, it's like giving your network keys out to anyone who's passing by.

On the other hand, what problems have you had with MRTG and your Cisco router? I've never had a single problem with that.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

prolix  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2002, 11:00 AM

yeah i was wondering how secure the airport snmp is. i'd rather not enable wan access to snmp but i've had problems with getting mrtg to graph anything from the cisco 675. its a dsl router, rather low end and the cisco cbos isn't up to par with normal cisco products. supposedly cbos 2.4.2 fixes snmp, and i'm running 2.4.6. i've found misc data about getting it to work but its a real mess. i may give it another shot, but from people i've talked to who have gotten it to work the accuracy of the data isn't the best. i may give it another shot if the ap password is the community name on the airport. thats even more stupid than using public and private.

Forum Links
Forum Rules