Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DVI monitor and a 12" Powerbook

DVI monitor and a 12" Powerbook
prolix
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2003, 10:50 AM

Here at home I have a 18.1" Sony LCD monitor that is DVI. I just got my 12" powerbook and want to hook it to the 18" lcd and then use a better keyboard and mouse when I sit at my desk. I've run the LCD using the VGA adapter that comes with the Powerbook, but in my opinion LCD's look like crap if you use them in VGA mode.

So here is my question: If I go shell out the cash for an adapter that lets me run my Powerbook with this actually let me run the LCD in true DVI mode, or is the signal that comes out of the Powerbook going to be VGA reguardless of whatever adapter I use.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by prolix:
Here at home I have a 18.1" Sony LCD monitor that is DVI. I just got my 12" powerbook and want to hook it to the 18" lcd and then use a better keyboard and mouse when I sit at my desk. I've run the LCD using the VGA adapter that comes with the Powerbook, but in my opinion LCD's look like crap if you use them in VGA mode.

So here is my question: If I go shell out the cash for an adapter that lets me run my Powerbook with this actually let me run the LCD in true DVI mode, or is the signal that comes out of the Powerbook going to be VGA reguardless of whatever adapter I use.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thanks
The 12" PB outputs VGA regardless of what adapter you use.

Now the question is if your monitor takes analogue VGA signals. If It doesn't already have a VGA input on it then I doubt it, but I'm not sure. Which model, and can you live the manufacturer's specs?

I think there IS an adapter out there that will convert VGA to DVI-D, but they are very $$$$. You'd almost be better off just buying a new monitor, or a new PowerBook.

prolix  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2003, 12:06 PM

the monitor does does have a vga input, its a sony sdm-m81. i used to be using it on my old g4 tower but i sold that when i bought the new powerbook. i'm not about to buy a new lcd, i paid a thousand dollars for the monitor so thats not an option. i actually have two of these lcd's

if the powerbook will only output a vga signal i'll just have to live with it, i don't hook it up to the monitor that much anyway.

thanks

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by prolix:
if the powerbook will only output a vga signal i'll just have to live with it,
There's your answer, prolix. There's no difference whether the analog VGA output from the 12-inch PowerBook gets converted to a digital signal inside the LCD (i.e. through its built-in VGA port and AD converter) or through a fancy VGA-to-DVI adapter. Both ways you're going from digital (inside PowerBook) to analog (VGA) to digital (the LCD).

That's one of the reasons I'm waiting for a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook. Hopefully, it'll include DVI-out. And if it doesn't, I'll have to "live with it," just like you.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

prolix  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2003, 12:44 PM

yeah, i just wasn't sure if the signal that comes out that video port on the powerbook was digital. i was hoping it was and that it got knocked down to analog inside the vga adapter cable that comes with the pb. wishful thinking on my part

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2003, 01:46 PM

I am running a similar setup from my 12" and for me the VGA quality seems fine. I would not worry too much about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules