Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Purchase dilemma

Purchase dilemma
prolix
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 01:19 PM

I'm trying to decide what G5 to buy and what config. I've done searching here and some people find the single CPU acceptable, others say the dual is the only way to go.

I currently have a 12" pb, basically live on it when I'm not at work. This g5 is for home, I do some design work, nothing insane, do a little coding, db work, etc. I do tend to run a lot of apps at the same time. My PB seems to handle what I throw at it without many problems, its not the fastest but it also doesn't lag. I live in mostly linux at the office, I also have some winblows machines that I do SQL dev work on, but at home I'm osX all the time. My pb goes to work with me a lot also.

However, I want a desktop at home now b/c sometimes it just sucks sitting there in front of a 12" screen for a long period of time.

I want to buy a G5 and possibly a 20" lcd. I already have a Sony SDM-M81 (dvi) lcd, its an 18". It works fine, but I'm a geek and want the 20" cinema display. I used to use the Sony on my PC but I have since moved the PC to the office and I find the Sony a little fuzzy since you can only use hte analog connection on the PB

The problem comes down to money. I think I could swing a single CPU g5 (1.6 or a 1.8 if i can find one) along with the 20" Cinema display.

Or do I just keep my Sony 18" LCD and buy a dual 1.8 G5? Maybe get the 20" cinema later down the road? This would also end up cheaper than the single cpu/cinema package

What do you guys think?

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2004, 01:27 PM

I have a DP 2.0 G5 and love it. Had the DP 1.8 been available at the time, that's what I would have bought. I think it's currently the best value in the line. Given the multiprocesssor support in OS X, it seems silly to tie it down with a single processor machine if you don't have to.

prolix  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 01:34 PM

what about refurbs? i've read mixed reviews on here about them (sometimes scratched, hair in keyboard, etc...)

powermax has a dual 2.0 refurb for $2399.00 .. tempting, but i worry about condition

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 01:53 PM

I'd wait to the end of January which is the likely release for the next rev..

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2004, 02:00 PM

Definitely wait for the refresh. At that point, a refurb single 1.6 should be VERY cheap, and the new low end machine should be the same price as the current single 1.6 price (if not lower).

I'd suggest getting a dual anyway. It depends on the speed, price, and other specifications of each model, but the slower of two duals should be fine.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2004, 10:26 PM

Dual 2.0 REFURB - $2350
AppleCare if you're worried - $200

done.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules