Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question About the Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse

Question About the Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2006, 02:54 AM

I'm giving my MX3000 set to my mom and I was wondering a few things about the Apple wireless set:

Batteries. How long do they last in the keyboard and mighty mouse? I've heard bluetooth sucks for power consumption.

Maintenance. How does the wireless mighty mouse do concerning the trackball? I've had a wired Mighty Mouse from the first batch, it was horrible. Two weeks of use and the trackball didn't work at all. Cleaning it with alcohol and all that jazz didn't do enough to make it worth the effort. However, the Mighty Mouse that shipped with my Intel iMac has never stopped working or scrolling. I've been using it off and on for a few months, nothing extensive like my first Mighty Mouse. But I'm curious to know how the wireless model does with this issue. I don't feel like paying $70 for a mouse that's basically going to crap out after two weeks of use (and all because it' gets a little dirty!).

Bluetooth. Do you have to pair it everytime you reboot? Does the mouse sleep after a period of inactivity? How is the range?

Basically, is it worth it?
 Certified AppleCare Technician

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 10:19 AM

My keyboard batteries lasted a few months with using it a few hours a night, and some long stretches when papers were due. It always remains paried, meaning you can wake the computer from sleep with the keyboard. The keyboard itself goes to sleep after a while, so maybe after 30 min or so, you have to wait a few seconds for it to reconnect, but don't have to pair it again.

Yes, its worth it.
Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

stefanicotine  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2006, 02:43 PM

Awesome. That's what I like to hear. I ordered it on Thursday and despite a shipping date of Sept. 28 (man that wireless mighy mouse is popular) it shipped the day after! I can't wait for it to get here

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by stefanicotine
Awesome. That's what I like to hear. I ordered it on Thursday and despite a shipping date of Sept. 28 (man that wireless mighy mouse is popular) it shipped the day after! I can't wait for it to get here
I know for sure that you'll enjoy the keyboard. I've played with the mighty mouse a few times, and it is certainly something that some love, while others hate. I'm not a fan, so I got a logitech VX revolution which is awesome.
Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

stefanicotine  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by senseigmg
I know for sure that you'll enjoy the keyboard. I've played with the mighty mouse a few times, and it is certainly something that some love, while others hate. I'm not a fan, so I got a logitech VX revolution which is awesome.
Good good. Well I have the wired Mighty Mouse and I love it. So I'm guessing the wireless will be just the same. I've heard from some that the wireless mouse loses right click functionality after about 10 minutes of steady use due to overheating or something like that. I don't know, that seems pretty unlikely to me

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2006, 11:46 PM

i have the original wireless mouse, the single click one, im thinking about getting the mighty mouse one as well...i went to the apple store to try one but they didnt have any might mice on display, even the wired ones. ill get one eventually.

Sage
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 12:32 AM

If you’re concerned about batteries, get rechargeables. You save a whole wad of cash in the long run (especially since the mouse eats through batteries pretty quickly).

stefanicotine  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2006, 03:36 AM

The thing I'm concerned about is the trackball and the loss of right click after 10 minutes. I hope the trackball's have improved, and I hope the right click issue isn't a popular one.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 08:32 PM

Hey guys sort of off topic, but does the wireless keyboard have usb inputs as well like the wired one? i couldnt find any info on the apple website..

If it does, its probably usb1.1 right? as its using the bluetooth

stefanicotine  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2006, 12:16 AM

I just got mine today. Nope, it doesn't. A real bummer too

jonn804
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by macboy
Hey guys sort of off topic, but does the wireless keyboard have usb inputs as well like the wired one? i couldnt find any info on the apple website..

If it does, its probably usb1.1 right? as its using the bluetooth

No inputs on the wireless keyboards.
-------------------
Dual G5 2.0, MBP, 23" ACD and 30" ACD, 1 TB storage, iPods

Forum Links
Forum Rules