Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Shutter Speed with D200

Shutter Speed with D200
Tim Collier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2007, 11:32 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a Nikon D200 with a 18-70mm DX AF-S lens. It's all been going well and the shots have been superb, but I am keen to find out what a few things on the LCD Display on the top of the camera.

For example, I had a reading of f/4.5 and the shutter speed said 1ooo. Now I know that when it has " it means seconds (I think) but I can't figure out what these o mean. It also happens on a variety of speeds such as 64o.

Thanks,
Tim
( Last edited by Tim Collier; Sep 29, 2007 at 01:50 AM. )

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2007, 01:20 AM

Well, you seem to be new to photography, but bought a very good camera, used by many professionals.

The nature of your question shows that you need really basic information.

This is a good intro into basics.

Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition): Books: Bryan Peterson

Study all kinds of graphic arts and paintings and enjoy the masterpieces of the history of the photographic art and you'll get much more out of your camera.

Tim Collier  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 01:50 AM

I guess you could say I am new to it, but I do understand a fair bit. My last camera was a Nikon Coolpix, so I figured, if I am going to take things more seriously, I would go to a better SLR. Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2007, 02:03 PM

the os are 0s

1/1000 and 1/640 of a second, respectively. the larger the number, the faster the shutter speed.
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules