Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So I had to buy a new battery today....

So I had to buy a new battery today....
brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 07:58 PM

Apparently laptop batteries are only considered "consumable goods" like tires on a new car. They're only guaranteed for defect, but not for quality (how long they last.) So, I had to buy a new battery ($199 CDN) for a year and a half old Tibook today.
Also, according to Apple, batteries are only good for around 300 charges, after that they start to lose their ability to hold a charge...so use your charges well.

Lertsiri
Oct 10, 2003, 08:26 PM

What is considered a charge......from 0 percent or from the 94 percent level in my aluminum PB 17"

I don't want to have this thing use its charges like crazy for just being in the powerbook..

so from this fear I take my battery out of the case when its being used on the desktop for long periods....

do you think that is a good idea to conserve my limited number of Charges?
"Think Different and Just Do It"

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 08:51 PM

Do you have Applecare? Check your (original) statement. Apple recently took batteries off the AC/warranty statement, but your TiBook's statement doesn't dis-include batteries. Warranties are not alterable after the fact, so if you have AppleCare, you can push hard on this one.

If you don't have AppleCare, I'm sorry.

As for charge, 60% is considered "nominal", in other words, if it falls below 60%, it is considered "dead". This is an industry definition, I believe.

There was a real good consumer battery FAQ/page listed on one of the discussion sites this week. Unfortunately, the URL is on my AlBook, which is somewhere between here and Houston for a repair.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 09:25 PM

Don't NiMH batteries have less life on a single charge but they last a lot longer before dying? I have a PowerBook 520c with a battery that can still hold almost an hour's charge. I see NiMH batteries from PowerBook 190s and 5300s on eBay all the time, and I'm assuming at least some of them have to be good. Apparently, NiMH batteries can be reconditioned but LiIons can't.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 09:26 PM

ive barely used my battery on my pismo......and it died. i reset the PRAM while it was plugged in AC, and it started charging. i get about 30 min....max.
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 12:11 AM

here is a url... with much info...

http://batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

lates...

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2003, 12:31 AM

Well, I got 4 hours of ACTUAL usage on my 1.25 SD 15" Powerbook today. Sitting down by the lake and studying...taking notes. Airport off, Bluetooth off, screen at 40-50% brightness, no display sleeping, and reduced processor. I used Word to take notes. Powerbook ran for around 4 hours straight and still had a 10% charge when I closed it up. Can only imagine what Panther has to offer.
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

kikkoman
Senior User
Oct 11, 2003, 07:52 AM

I bought a new one too. I was getting 30 minutes max on the old one. Now I'm getting nearly 4 hours on the new one! I'm running a Ti 667.

Originally posted by spitty27:
ive barely used my battery on my pismo......and it died.
The worst thing that reduces battery life is to subject the battery to high temperatures on a full charge. I often set my Ti on the bed while plugged into the wall. It would get very hot. I'm sure that killed the battery capacity.
( Last edited by kikkoman; Oct 11, 2003 at 08:01 AM. )

ligux
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by brapper:
Also, according to Apple, batteries are only good for around 300 charges...
They should say that on their web page , these are the little things to feel ashamed of defending APPLE in this PC world.
-Mac G4 867, 240Gb HD, +1gb Ram . OS9.2.2 and OS X 10,2,8
-iPod 10 Gb
-PB 12'' 1Ghz 768 RAM + AirPort Extreme OS X 10.2.8

kikkoman
Senior User
Oct 11, 2003, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by ligux:
They should say that on their web page , these are the little things to feel ashamed of defending APPLE in this PC world.
Why? It is not unique to Apple. The battery in my Dell Latitude does not last as long when it was new. It's just an inherent limitation of the technology.

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2003, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by kikkoman:
Why? It is not unique to Apple. The battery in my Dell Latitude does not last as long when it was new. It's just an inherent limitation of the technology.
But what he meant was that Dell clearly states how many charge cycles you can expect out of the battery before the charge capacity gets reduced (on all their models). Further more, even thought Dell's 3-year warranty costs less and covers more, they WILL replace a battery if it significantly reduces charge time in only a year and a half. That's the difference.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2003, 12:55 PM

Anybody needing a new Ti battery should get a NewerTech battery instead:

http://www.newertech.com/newer_bats.html

As I recall, the original Ti battery was covered by Applecare at that time. They may have restricted coverage since then, but they can't take away the coverage they gave you at that time.

ligux
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 05:13 PM

That is the point,
thanks for understanding stiZeven
-Mac G4 867, 240Gb HD, +1gb Ram . OS9.2.2 and OS X 10,2,8
-iPod 10 Gb
-PB 12'' 1Ghz 768 RAM + AirPort Extreme OS X 10.2.8

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2003, 05:44 PM

thanks - i'll look into it and tell you all what the deal is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules