Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Office v.X for Mac on PB

Office v.X for Mac on PB
pb_soon
Oct 26, 2003, 06:32 AM

From the brochure and website, I believe there's a trial version Office v.X for Mac? Where abouts may this be located? I couldn't see it on any of the included DVDs or within Installers?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 07:58 AM

It should already be installed on and in your applications folder - it was on mine.

Mike

pb_soon  (op)
Oct 26, 2003, 08:14 AM

Nope, it's not in there for me Maybe they forgot to include it in the image that I got!

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 08:30 AM

No worries, you can download the trial here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...?pid=testdrive

Personally, I think it's much more beautiful then Office on windows, but now and then I get this annoying lag on my Rev A 12" PB where I will start typing and it has to think about it for a bit before it starts poping up on the screen, not sure why have 768MB of ram. Maybe I need to go update it or something.

Anyways good luck with it.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 09:09 AM

http://www.openoffice.org/

try that for free fun...

lates...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 10:32 AM

anyone know when a native OSx version will be out?
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

ligux
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 11:48 AM

Be careful with the trial version, I have read somewhere in Macnn Forum that people have had problems with their PB and that it �s been solved uninstalling it. Sorry for not giving more detailed info. I only remember reading about it.
-Mac G4 867, 240Gb HD, +1gb Ram . OS9.2.2 and OS X 10,2,8
-iPod 10 Gb
-PB 12'' 1Ghz 768 RAM + AirPort Extreme OS X 10.2.8

Ph.D.
Oct 26, 2003, 12:18 PM

The office demo installs a timer that writes to your hard disk once per second, no matter if office is running or not. Do you want your disk being written to once per second, forever? I thought not! Just drag the demo to your trash, and all will be well.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2003, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Cincojoe:
Two years ago or so.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

ligux
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Ph.D.:
The office demo installs a timer that writes to your hard disk once per second, no matter if office is running or not. Do you want your disk being written to once per second, forever? I thought not! Just drag the demo to your trash, and all will be well.
Thanks PH.D
This is what I had read about, and if I don�t remember bad, it is about a non stop HD activity (annoying).
-Mac G4 867, 240Gb HD, +1gb Ram . OS9.2.2 and OS X 10,2,8
-iPod 10 Gb
-PB 12'' 1Ghz 768 RAM + AirPort Extreme OS X 10.2.8

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by SplijinX:

Personally, I think it's much more beautiful then Office on windows, but now and then I get this annoying lag on my Rev A 12" PB where I will start typing and it has to think about it for a bit before it starts poping up on the screen, not sure why have 768MB of ram. Maybe I need to go update it or something.
I think that lag is a bug in Office, and I don't think any updates cure it. Personally I find it very annoying.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
http://www.openoffice.org/

try that for free fun...

lates...
Checked it out... Does anyone have this program? I understand its free, but is it as fuctional as Office?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
Checked it out... Does anyone have this program? I understand its free, but is it as fuctional as Office?
I have used this when I was using Linux, and it worked well. It has most things I need. It's worth checking it out, most of all, it's free.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

beefstu01
Oct 26, 2003, 08:05 PM

OpenOffice.org is great, but there are a few quirks (this is from a Linux perspective too, haven't touched the Mac version).

1) Slow (takes like 2 minutes to open, but this is on a PII 333)
2) Wierd choice of font (Nimbus no.9)/wierd rendering of Times/other fonts (may just be Linux)
3) Standard autoformatting sucks
4) Spell check really sucks
5) Wierd formatting system, but you get used to it after a while.
6) Not as many featurs as Office (boo-hoo)

I get MS Office for a very low price, so I use that on my Mac. Plus there's talk about Microsoft encoding the files you save so ONLY Microsoft products can read them. What can you do, eh? But all in all, OpenOffice.org is very decent, especially since the darn thing is free, eh?

beefstu01
Oct 26, 2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Chemmy:
Originally posted by Cincojoe:
Two years ago or so.
Oh yeah, that reminds me. Cincojoe wasn't referring to MS Office, but rather OpenOffice.org itself. That has to be run through X11, so from what I understand, it isn't 100% native to OS X. Probably in a little bit, after the development team sorts out all the quirks with OpenOffice.org suite will we see a native OS X version.

cantcstr8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 08:19 PM

I don't think so.

I have Office X on my system (i need it for work)and had the trial version for about two weeks before that. It does hit the disk a lot when running but even that is fixable (turn off word count, work in normal view)

If it hit the disk once per second, the system would never go to sleep and mine does without a problem.

True it's not the greatest program in the world, but these wild rumors dont do anyone any good.

AND BTW: For most of what I do, mail and Appleworks would be adequate and Appleworks reads and writes Excel and Word files

pb_soon  (op)
Oct 26, 2003, 08:55 PM

Yeah, if I had my way I probably would steer away from Office (not that I hate Microsoft or anything, I actually think it's a pretty good product), but my company standardise on Office and we have a lot of templates that is based on Word. These templates do not port well across to OpenOffice

cantcstr8, do you use Entourage? If so, is it similar to Outlook in that there's some sort of .pst mail file, which can be move around. So if I uninstall trial and reinstall full, I can just point to this mail file?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by beefstu01:
OpenOffice.org is great, but there are a few quirks (this is from a Linux perspective too, haven't touched the Mac version).

1) Slow (takes like 2 minutes to open, but this is on a PII 333)
2) Wierd choice of font (Nimbus no.9)/wierd rendering of Times/other fonts (may just be Linux)
3) Standard autoformatting sucks
4) Spell check really sucks
5) Wierd formatting system, but you get used to it after a while.
6) Not as many featurs as Office (boo-hoo)

I get MS Office for a very low price, so I use that on my Mac. Plus there's talk about Microsoft encoding the files you save so ONLY Microsoft products can read them. What can you do, eh? But all in all, OpenOffice.org is very decent, especially since the darn thing is free, eh?
They fixed a lot of these problems in the new OpenOffice version that just came out I think.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

cantcstr8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 10:30 PM

Pb_soon,

I do use Entourage although I dont like it very much. It's slow and to Microsoft-ish. But yes it does use pst.files and they are portable.

On thing though which is why I ended up with the full version of office. The test drive version does not talk to exchange servers. You need the regular version with the service pack update.

On a brighter note, if you just need exchange access, an alternative is to go with Panther. The new version of mail talks to exchange servers for email. I have been trying it so far and it works well. The only thing is that is does not support Outlook calendars.

Hope that helps

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 10:43 PM

now that i can use textedit to open & save as a word doc, i have not even bothered to reinstall office...
no IE, no word...

microsoft-free! (2 days & counting...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

psk-ele
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 10:51 PM

ThinkFree Office. $50, Mac OSX native, and inlcudes all the Office equivalents. If you are not doing crazy stuff involving Macros and such, then check out their site...ThinkFree Office....
"When people say that Macs suck, that
means they have never used
them.....trust me...."

Forum Links
Forum Rules