Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Safari won't skin after Security Upgrade

Safari won't skin after Security Upgrade
Bit Density
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2004, 03:41 PM

Ok, did the security update, and now safari won't skin (tried with Exec and Soot). Any suggestions? Safari About box says 125.12

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2004, 03:48 PM

right,
reapply in ss and it should work

FB Eye
Senior User
Dec 3, 2004, 04:43 PM

Repairing the permissions before and after any system update is always recommended...

Bit Density  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by bentoon:
right,
reapply in ss and it should work
The fact that there were two themes should have been a clue I had tried that, and hey I did read the dialog box...

But lets see. I deleted ALL themes, repaired permissions, enabled/disabled/enabled shapshifter, redownloaded themes. But NO skinning of either finder or safari is happening. Other apps are fine...

Also have bizarre behavior with label o's theme. Title bar does not appear to be theming with a bitmap? Anyways I am getting yellow par with red vertical stripes between the menu items across the bar. (This happened before security upgrade).

penguinn
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2004, 07:14 PM

that's messed up... now i'm afraid to get the security update!
*DeXtop GUI

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2004, 08:36 PM

type in that terminal command found sumwhere (but im too lazy to look) in these forums.

silencedge
Dec 3, 2004, 09:33 PM

It's weird. I'm on TiSkin and it works great, whereas JetBlack isn't.

Bit Density  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2004, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by boy8cookie:
type in that terminal command found sumwhere (but im too lazy to look) in these forums.
Originally posted by smeger:
Well, gotta have at least one bug in every release...

If you've installed the new iTunes 4.7 or security update, you'll find that many of your apps have reverted to Aqua. Here's the fix:

Launch Terminal. It's located in /Applications/Utilities

Enter the following command:
defaults delete com.unsanity.shapeshifter CustomSettings

Guess I've got something to do for 2.0.1 now.
I added the part in about the security update... And it works...

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 01:01 AM

This is caused by a bug in ShapeShifter 2.0 (which is fortunately fixed in the upcoming 2.0.1 release).

The comprehensive fix is to do the following:[list=1][*]Delete the folder at <your home directory>/Library/Caches/ShapeShifter/Mods.[*]Delete the file at <your home directory>/Library/Preferences/com.unsanity.shapeshifter.plist.[*]Log out and back in (important).[*]Reapply your theme, icons set, whatever.[/list=1]

This bug is triggered whenever any application that has a custom skin applied via ShapeShifter changes version number. This includes apps that have a custom icon via an icon set, or apps that have custom application skins.

Sorry for the hassle, as I mentioned, this is fixed in an upcoming 2.0.1 release. And for the geeks reading, I screwed up a "for" loop. Sheesh! Who screws up a "for" loop? You gotta WORK to do something that lame...
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules