Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Two Apple IDs?

Two Apple IDs?
philm
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 05:18 PM

I am a regular purchaser from the UK iTMS, so I suggested to my brother that he purchase me some vouchers for the US store for my birthday - he is based in the US and I think you need to have a US address to purchase vouchers for the US store. Great, I thought, I can buy some songs from the US store which are not available on the UK store (e.g. new albums from The Killers, The Wedding Present etc).

So the voucher arrives and as I thought, it is valid only for the US store. But, my Apple ID is somehow tied to the UK store (stay with me, we're nearly at the end).

So presumably, I could register with a new Apple ID for the US store and use the vouchers, but the songs which I currently own require my regular Apple ID to play. So, does anyone know of the implications of getting second Apple ID. Cheers.

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 05:50 PM

actually I'm curious about this as well in the broader sense:

Is it possible to use two .Mac accounts with a single user account on a machine? i.e. can I set up mail to get two .mac account emails? Can I have 2 iDisks mounted? Used by iPhoto and others that integrate?

Less speculatively, can I authorize music I have purchased (using my .Mac account) on my wife's computer/iPod if she also has a .mac account?
cpac

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Feb 24, 2005, 06:03 PM

I don't know about how it would work with music. But I do have two .Mac accounts on one single user machine. Mail checks both of them. One of them is a full fledged account, and the other is an added email account. But I actually use the added email account as my iChat account, rather than the main one. I don't run into any problems.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

bseely
Feb 24, 2005, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by philm:
I am a regular purchaser from the UK iTMS, so I suggested to my brother that he purchase me some vouchers for the US store for my birthday - he is based in the US and I think you need to have a US address to purchase vouchers for the US store. Great, I thought, I can buy some songs from the US store which are not available on the UK store (e.g. new albums from The Killers, The Wedding Present etc).

So the voucher arrives and as I thought, it is valid only for the US store. But, my Apple ID is somehow tied to the UK store (stay with me, we're nearly at the end).

So presumably, I could register with a new Apple ID for the US store and use the vouchers, but the songs which I currently own require my regular Apple ID to play. So, does anyone know of the implications of getting second Apple ID. Cheers.
yes, you could create a new US-based account and purchase music. You would just log in using whichever account you wanted to purchase using. All your songs will continue to play fine - that machine would be authorized for both accounts.

However, that means you'll need a US-based credit card (not sure how it works with PayPal). I don't think Apple will let you create the account without a credit card - even if you haven't bought any songs and don't intend to (since you'll be using the gift certificate / gift card).

Forum Links
Forum Rules