Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My Powerbook and Tiger

My Powerbook and Tiger
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 04:17 AM

Hi

I installed version 10.4.1 yesterday evening on my Powerbook 12" (1Ghz, 768MB) and I must say I am disapointed to say the least. My PB has never been so slow, startup time is very long ...

Am I the only one to experience this ?

Thanks
S k y p a t

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 04:27 AM

One, there's lots of Tiger install threads. Also, how did you install? My PB is considerably faster with Tiger. Has Spotlight done indexing as well?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

dog2van
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
One, there's lots of Tiger install threads. Also, how did you install? My PB is considerably faster with Tiger. Has Spotlight done indexing as well?
my pb seemes slower after installing the update. and i dowmloaded it 10.4.1 from apple.update...

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 05:10 AM

Ok, my bad. I read the first post incorrectly. Sorry about that. Did you have any problems with 4.0? Did you repair permissions before and after the install? Is it slow in Finder or certains apps or what? Have you logged off/restarted after repairing permissions the second time?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Randman

I just upgraded from Panther ... I did not make a clean install because I didn't want to reimport all my music in iTunes

Spotlight works really well. But the whole system is less responsive and the start up takes way too much time.
S k y p a t

ism
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 07:54 AM

exact same pb here and 10.4.1 is ok. I archived and installed 10.4.0 though over panther.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 09:10 AM

Startup time is slow the first time you boot Tiger, yes.

It is also quite sluggish for the first half hour or so, while it indexes your hard disk for use with Spotlight (you can see the little dot pulsing in the Spotlight icon - the magnifying glass at the right end of the menu bar).

After that, Tiger is VERY fast, and bootup takes only a few seconds (15" Powerbook 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB 5400 RPM hard drive).

-s*

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 09:19 AM

Another thumbs up for Tiger on my revA PB17. Between the speed increases in Safari and Spotlight, and a new battery (replacing a well used 25 month-old one!), I feel like I have a whole new machine.

I came across an issue with m$ word (and I updated to 10.4.1 to see if it fixed the problem), and I've had to upgrade some software to be Tiger-compliant. My main gripe is CCC is MUCH better than Super Duper (at least on this machine in 10.3 than SD in 10.4; CCC worked great running in the background, SD does not) that I need to find a replacement cloning software. These are pretty minor, tho - many people prefer SD over CCC, so this is more a matter of opinion than substance.

When I updated to 10.4.1, the initial launch time was VERY slow. This has not recurred, I'm assuming it was doing some sort of system resets from 10.4.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 09:36 AM

Hi

I am surprized to read all those positive posts (glad for you). I have not paid attention to the little spotlight magnifier... but is it supposed to re-index things after the 10.4.1 upgrade ? It already did that with 10.4.

The boot time - the very first - was terrible. I thought it would never show something else than the grey screen with the apple logo. And after that, I could click on a drop down menu with no immediate reaction. Say it took half a second for the menu to drop down.

iPhoto keeps on crashing when browsing tthrough full screen pictures and I even had a crash with Safari ...

So my experience of Tiger is mixed ...
S k y p a t

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 09:41 AM

Spotlight did not reindex after 10.4.1 for me.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 01:26 PM

same pb here with a bit mor RAM and after a clean install, my machine is runnin like a champ. i was thinkin bout upgrading but i really don't see a need for that now.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

KenDallas
May 19, 2005, 10:35 AM

After doing an Erase&Install of Tiger my Powerbook was significantly faster than when it had panther installed- almost to a point that I felt I had a brand new computer.

Then I installed 10.4.1 just a few days ago and ever since then its been significantly slower. I mean, I am not sure if its as slow as it was when it had panther installed, but it sure has lost its get-up-and-go that it had prior to 10.4.1.

RydDragyn
May 19, 2005, 11:17 AM

I bought my new powerbook 15" 1.5 ghz on monday, and it came with a Tiger install DVD. Upgrading from Panther to Tiger caused no slowdowns, and that's with about 15 gigs of old files transferred from my old comp.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2005, 02:09 PM

Ok. If I decide to re-install Tiger (clean install), how do I re-install iTunes with a few GB of files without being forced to upload song by song ... Is there a fast way of re-installing iTunes ? I have a firewire external drive where I can backup my music ... Thanks
S k y p a t

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Skypat
Ok. If I decide to re-install Tiger (clean install), how do I re-install iTunes with a few GB of files without being forced to upload song by song ... Is there a fast way of re-installing iTunes ? I have a firewire external drive where I can backup my music ... Thanks
clone your system (using superduper or ccc via terminal or similar) to the external firewire drive and then copy them back the music files + any others you want after the clean install. If it all goes wrong you will also have a working bootable copy of your system as it was before
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules