Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Program load times

Program load times
sxates
Aug 30, 2005, 02:00 PM

Have a question about the start time for software on my 1.5ghz Powerbook. Things seem to start very slowly, certainly slower than my not-cutting-edge PC. For example, Photoshop CS2 takes 40 seconds to load from a clean restart. Other CS2 software and things like Dreamweaver also take a significant time to load.

Is this normal, or is something wrong?

sxates  (op)
Aug 30, 2005, 02:01 PM

For comparison, my 1.9ghz Athlon PC (with a 10k rpm drive) starts Photoshop CS2 in 13 seconds.

cliffom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2005, 03:11 PM

I have a Revision B 12" (1ghz G4) and 1.25 gb of RAM. Photoshop CS1 takes approx. 20 seconds to start. I would imagine CS2 would start much faster on your machine.

TimothyJay
Aug 31, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by sxates
Is this normal, or is something wrong?
You know, I wonder about the same thing before, because I compared it to my 3.0ghz Pentium 4 desktop which loads the program in no time.

One of the main factor I was told about the difference in load time is the speed of the harddrive. Desktops are normally 7200 rpm, while PowerBooks are 5400 rpm, so that could be one of the main reason.

Also, what's the size of your ram? That could be a reason as well. I have a 15" PB w/ 1.5ghz and 1gb of ram, and it made a substantial difference in load time once memory was added.

sxates  (op)
Aug 31, 2005, 03:46 PM

I considered the slow HD, and its true my desktop HD is probably twice as fast as the PB, but it still seems inordinately long on the load time. I have 2GB of ram, so I don't think that's the problem. I really just wanted to check with other PB owners to see if this is normal, or if I am experiencing an unusual load time. Any CS2 PB owners out there who would mind posting their load times?

mrmister
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 06:48 PM

"I considered the slow HD, and its true my desktop HD is probably twice as fast as the PB, but it still seems inordinately long on the load time."

Is your load time well over twice as long?

TimothyJay
Aug 31, 2005, 08:55 PM

I have Photoshop CS2 (as well as the whole suite) and it doesn't take me 40 seconds to load it. It was less than 20 seconds. I varies from time to time, I guess depending on how many programs I have open.
( Last edited by TimothyJay; Aug 31, 2005 at 09:38 PM. )

sxates  (op)
Aug 31, 2005, 11:10 PM

Timothy:
Is the 20s load time for the first time you load it? If I close and reload it, subsequent loads are only about 13 seconds. It's just the first launch.

mrmister:
yes, its more than twice my PC. PC= ~13s, PB= ~40-45s for initial load times.

TimothyJay
Aug 31, 2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by sxates
Timothy:
Is the 20s load time for the first time you load it? If I close and reload it, subsequent loads are only about 13 seconds. It's just the first launch.
Oh, ok... well, first launch is about 25-30 seconds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules