Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro [Macworld Official Thread]

MacBook Pro [Macworld Official Thread] (Page 15)
foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2006, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by morffius
Crucials price is sky high now, so where are you finding that $105 1GB stick for? I need to jump on that great price.
dealram.com
pricewatch.com
and a dozen other price sites.

Crucial is overrated and expensive.
iMac 3.3/i5 (2015) 24GB 2TB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.5 (2014) 16GB 500GB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.3 (2012) 16GB 250GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.4 (2010) 9GB 120GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.0 (E-2009) 4GB 120GB 10.13

morffius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2006, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by foo2
dealram.com
pricewatch.com
and a dozen other price sites.

Crucial is overrated and expensive.

Good work! Ill keep it in mind after I recieve my new 'book.

... Apparently refreshing the Order Status page does as much good as repeatedly mashing the elevator button.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by John123
Sorry, but I find this logic specious. You can get a 1GB chip for $105. I bet you can sell the old 512MB chip for at least $35 on Craigslist, so you're talking about $70 in value here, max.

The hard drive is worth at most $100 in upgrade cost.

That's $330 for the additional video RAM and the processor. Not exactly a "sneeze." It's 16.5% more (conservatively) for no more than 10% more in speed. Bad deal.
Well, I never thought of flogging the RAM on Craig's List. Sounds like more effort than it's worth. The effort of listing the thing and packing it up etc. is worth more to me than $35. I would just leave it in there.

I just checked the spreadsheet I did comparing the two. In France, which is where I'm located, Crucial charges €146 for 1GB of RAM. I get a slight discount from Apple but it's the same discount for both machines. The difference between a MacBook 1.67 with an extra Gig of RAM and the Apple upgrade to the 100GB (5400) hard disk, winds up being €85 in favour of the slower machine.

The 1.67 would end up with 512MB more RAM of course, but less video RAM, slower clockspeed and both memory slots full. For €85 (about 3% more), I figured the 1.83 was worth it.

You may wind up with different results depending on what deals you can get. All I'm saying is that you should check quite carefully because in my case, it was better to go for the faster model.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Troll
Well, I never thought of flogging the RAM on Craig's List. Sounds like more effort than it's worth. The effort of listing the thing and packing it up etc. is worth more to me than $35. I would just leave it in there.

I just checked the spreadsheet I did comparing the two. In France, which is where I'm located, Crucial charges €146 for 1GB of RAM. I get a slight discount from Apple but it's the same discount for both machines. The difference between a MacBook 1.67 with an extra Gig of RAM and the Apple upgrade to the 100GB (5400) hard disk, winds up being €85 in favour of the slower machine.

The 1.67 would end up with 512MB more RAM of course, but less video RAM, slower clockspeed and both memory slots full. For €85 (about 3% more), I figured the 1.83 was worth it.

You may wind up with different results depending on what deals you can get. All I'm saying is that you should check quite carefully because in my case, it was better to go for the faster model.
Are you kidding me? It's easy. It takes less than a minute to get a post on Craigslist. And you don't need to "package" it. No one cares. And buyers will come to a location convenient for you. I make 6 figures and I can't tell you how much little stuff I've sold on Craigslist ($20 - $75 items, plus the occasional iPod or PowerBook) just because it's easy and I can. The only thing in your favor for this is that you're in France, but here in the U.S., it's so ridiculously easy.

You're also biasing your calculation by using Crucial RAM. I've never wasted the money. As the links above showed, you can get fine RAM for cheaper. I've owned a half dozen laptops -- upgraded the RAM on all of them, never paid a super premium price doing so, and had flawless operation.

Look, you can justify your purchase to yourself however you like -- and hey, everyone wants to be satisfied with what they bought -- but when you come on a message board and tout that something is a better deal when all objective indicators suggest that it is *not*, you're going to get people like me to take issue with you....
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006, 09:52 AM

Sorry, but I find this logic specious. You can get a 1GB chip for $105. I bet you can sell the old 512MB chip for at least $35 on Craigslist, so you're talking about $70 in value here, max.

The hard drive is worth at most $100 in upgrade cost.

That's $330 for the additional video RAM and the processor. Not exactly a "sneeze." It's 16.5% more (conservatively) for no more than 10% more in speed. Bad deal.
It's all in your perspective. The time it would take to find a seller for the 512MB RAM should be factored into the equation.

Also, the hard drive upgrade costs Apple is charging is not that much of a premium compared to what Apple charges for RAM.

As for current prices on MBP/iMac RAM, OWC is charging around $120 -- much better than Crucial.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 11:05 AM

Are you kidding me? It's easy. It takes less than a minute to get a post on Craigslist. And you don't need to "package" it. No one cares. And buyers will come to a location convenient for you. I make 6 figures and I can't tell you how much little stuff I've sold on Craigslist ($20 - $75 items, plus the occasional iPod or PowerBook) just because it's easy and I can. The only thing in your favor for this is that you're in France, but here in the U.S., it's so ridiculously easy.
Wow! What a response.

First off, let me congratulate you publicly on how much money you make. I'm not sure quite how that's relevant to the current debate and you're the first millionaire I've ever met that wanted everyone to know it, but well done. Pat on the back to you.

Secondly, the 6 minutes that it takes to list the RAM on Craig's List is only a fraction of the time it'd take to "do the deal". Add to that the time to open up the MacBook, get the memory out, put it back together again, check receipt of funds, go to the Post Office etc. I have a pretty good idea of what my time is worth and this exercise wouldn't be worth $35 to me.

But that's not the point because the reason I wouldn't do what you're suggesting has nothing to do with how much money I make. It has to do with the fact, that if I sell the 512MB, I wind up with a computer with 1GB of RAM instead of 1.5GB of RAM. The point I was making is that with the 1.83, you're not obliged to immediately upgrade the memory. I need a bigger disk and I think everyone who buys a MacBook needs more than 512MB of RAM. If I bought the 1.67, I would immediately have to add RAM and upgrade the disk.
You're also biasing your calculation by using Crucial RAM. I've never wasted the money. As the links above showed, you can get fine RAM for cheaper. I've owned a half dozen laptops -- upgraded the RAM on all of them, never paid a super premium price doing so, and had flawless operation.
Where I live, Crucial are the only people selling 1GB 667Mhz DDR 2 RAM apart from Apple. Maybe some people reading these boards are, like me, not located in the US. Y'think?
Look, you can justify your purchase to yourself however you like -- and hey, everyone wants to be satisfied with what they bought -- but when you come on a message board and tout that something is a better deal when all objective indicators suggest that it is *not*, you're going to get people like me to take issue with you....
What objective indicators suggest it isn't? I told you that the difference between the two on the deal I can get is €85. That's the only objective part. After that, it's completely SUBjective as to whether the faster computer is worth €85 more.

I don't really know what your problem is here. I specifically said that you need to look at what you need and the deal YOU can get. I specifically said that I was in France and that I get a special deal through Apple so mine was not a standard case. I specifically said that others may have other options and needs And I specically said that this was just my 2c, just a DEScription of what I found in MY situation; rather than a PREscription for what anyone else should do. I think I was really clear about that.

inkhead
Senior User
Feb 1, 2006, 11:59 AM

Find RAM at Pricewatch.com.

I hate it when people go on and on about needing "brand name" ram in their machines. You just need the right ram. Cucial's RAM is made in the EXACT same FACTORY as almost every brand of RAM on the planet.

There was an online comparison of generic ram and brand name ram and their was no difference found in the connections, or even in the chips. The only difference was Crucial and the "brand name" companies were easier to reach by phone if you happened to get a bad chip.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker
It's all in your perspective. The time it would take to find a seller for the 512MB RAM should be factored into the equation.

Also, the hard drive upgrade costs Apple is charging is not that much of a premium compared to what Apple charges for RAM.

As for current prices on MBP/iMac RAM, OWC is charging around $120 -- much better than Crucial.
I factored that in. It's less than 10 minutes of total time. Believe me, I've done it. Three times with RAM chips.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006, 01:00 PM

Wow! What a response.

First off, let me congratulate you publicly on how much money you make. I'm not sure quite how that's relevant to the current debate and you're the first millionaire I've ever met that wanted everyone to know it, but well done. Pat on the back to you.
The point is that regardless of income, it is easy and a worthwhile argument. I'm sorry my comment made you so defensive about your own status.

Secondly, the 6 minutes that it takes to list the RAM on Craig's List is only a fraction of the time it'd take to "do the deal". Add to that the time to open up the MacBook, get the memory out, put it back together again, check receipt of funds, go to the Post Office etc. I have a pretty good idea of what my time is worth and this exercise wouldn't be worth $35 to me.
Not really -- I guess you aren't familiar with Craigslist. You'll notice that I made reference of your not being in the U.S. in my original post (something you glossed over later -- I guess you wanted to get in a hurry to post your tit-for-tat reply). But here in the US, people use it to sell stuff, locally, to local buyers. You post an ad, which takes literally 60 seconds, you get e-mail responses, you pick a meeting place (all via e-mail typically), you go there at the arranged time, and you get money. 90% of my Craigslist deals have required less than 15 minutes of my time, total. Not worth it to you to have to go through something like eBay where shipping is required? Fine.

But that's not the point because the reason I wouldn't do what you're suggesting has nothing to do with how much money I make. It has to do with the fact, that if I sell the 512MB, I wind up with a computer with 1GB of RAM instead of 1.5GB of RAM. The point I was making is that with the 1.83, you're not obliged to immediately upgrade the memory. I need a bigger disk and I think everyone who buys a MacBook needs more than 512MB of RAM. If I bought the 1.67, I would immediately have to add RAM and upgrade the disk.
Where I live, Crucial are the only people selling 1GB 667Mhz DDR 2 RAM apart from Apple. Maybe some people reading these boards are, like me, not located in the US. Y'think?
What objective indicators suggest it isn't? I told you that the difference between the two on the deal I can get is €85. That's the only objective part. After that, it's completely SUBjective as to whether the faster computer is worth €85 more.
Uh, what? If you buy the 1.83, you get 1GB. If you buy a 1GB and sell the existing 512MB that you get with the 1.67, you get a total of 1GB. How is the 1GB versus 1.5GB comparison relevant in the least? There is no "required upgrade" if you sell, which is *my* original point. Anyway, no, while Crucial may be the only company DIRECTLY shiping chips into France, I assure you that there are other options. Again, maybe not worth your time to deal with, but there are options.

I don't really know what your problem is here. I specifically said that you need to look at what you need and the deal YOU can get. I specifically said that I was in France and that I get a special deal through Apple so mine was not a standard case. I specifically said that others may have other options and needs And I specically said that this was just my 2c, just a DEScription of what I found in MY situation; rather than a PREscription for what anyone else should do. I think I was really clear about that.
Actually, no, that is not what you led off with. You led off with a post that did NOT reference how your situation was unique but instead tried to make a generalizable argument about value that doesn't hold fro the MAJORITY of users. Now that I have successfully gotten you to admit that your evaluation of the situation is very narrowly defined to your circumstances, I've achieved my objective.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 02:59 PM

I'm sorry my comment made you so defensive about your own status.
Oh, *I'm* the defensive one here! I haven't mentioned "my status". I'm not defensive about it, I just don't think how much money I have makes what I'm saying any more important, so I don't mention it. I found it strange that you thought that your point would carry more weight if you mentioned that you were a millionnaire. But maybe that's because I come from a background where it is considered impolite to mention how much money you have.

Contrary to popular belief, for me, time is not money. Time is far more valuable to me than money. I can't buy time and more time is really what I want. I could not possibly, get the RAM out of my MacBook, list an ad on Craigs List, correspond with the buyer to arrange a meeting, travel there, meet them, do the deal and get back to the office in 15 minutes.

But that's irrelevant because as I said, the time issue is not the reason I wouldn't sell the 512MB stick. If I get the 1.67, I'm forced to upgrade the memory and once I do that, I'm not going to take the 512MB out ... Never mind. Despite my having made the point numerous times, you don't seem to understand.
You led off with a post that did NOT reference how your situation was unique but instead tried to make a generalizable argument about value that doesn't hold fro the MAJORITY of users.
Obviously you don't read so good. Maybe you should count the number of personal pronouns in my original post and maybe you should do a search on what "my 2c" means. If you took it as my making "generalisable (sic) argument about value ... fro (sic) the majority of users," you misunderstood. Moving on now ...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Find RAM at Pricewatch.com.

I hate it when people go on and on about needing "brand name" ram in their machines. You just need the right ram. Cucial's RAM is made in the EXACT same FACTORY as almost every brand of RAM on the planet.

There was an online comparison of generic ram and brand name ram and their was no difference found in the connections, or even in the chips. The only difference was Crucial and the "brand name" companies were easier to reach by phone if you happened to get a bad chip.
That would be all well and good except it's not true. There are at least 3 companies who have factories producing DRAM chips.
As far as compatibility, search these forums (or Google) to see how many people have "matched the RAM specs" and had freezes and panics or not booting at all with cheap RAM.

foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
That would be all well and good except it's not true. There are at least 3 companies who have factories producing DRAM chips.
As far as compatibility, search these forums (or Google) to see how many people have "matched the RAM specs" and had freezes and panics or not booting at all with cheap RAM.
I'm sure a few have had issues. Contrast that though with the millions of RAM chips bought that *haven't* had issues. Is a tiny, tiny, tiny sliver of a risk (of lost time & effort) worth saving $50 or so? For most people, the answer is yes.
iMac 3.3/i5 (2015) 24GB 2TB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.5 (2014) 16GB 500GB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.3 (2012) 16GB 250GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.4 (2010) 9GB 120GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.0 (E-2009) 4GB 120GB 10.13

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006, 04:27 PM

you mentioned that you were a millionnaire. But maybe that's because I come from a background where it is considered impolite to mention how much money you have.
Obviously you don't read so good.
1. 6 figures does not constitute a millionaire. It's an order of magnitude less. Math 101.
2. The word you should is "well," the adverb, not "good," the adjective. Reading 101.

I am reminded of the "Academic Decathlon in Billy Madison....
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

loh
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 05:19 PM

Ok I didnt mean to start a flame war, lets get this back on topic.

I pretty much think Im gonna get the 1.67, upgrade to a 7200rpm, and use my student discount. This comes out to 1979 before tax. Then I can go buy a 1GB stick of kingston or mushkin from newegg for 90 bucks and ill have 1.5GB. Saving about 400 dollars on this configuration, compared to the 1.83.

If I wanted to really max it out, I could buy this dual kit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146440 and sell the stock 512 on ebay or something.
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

morffius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by loh
Ok I didnt mean to start a flame war, lets get this back on topic.

I pretty much think Im gonna get the 1.67, upgrade to a 7200rpm, and use my student discount. This comes out to 1979 before tax. Then I can go buy a 1GB stick of kingston or mushkin from newegg for 90 bucks and ill have 1.5GB. Saving about 400 dollars on this configuration, compared to the 1.83.

If I wanted to really max it out, I could buy this dual kit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146440 and sell the stock 512 on ebay or something.
If you are a student and not a member of ADC you should consider it. My student discount was only 200 off and my NET discount (after purchasing the 100 membership) with ADC is 400 off the 1.8 or 300 off the 1.67.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2006, 05:39 PM

Hmmm.....interesting departure from reality.

In any case. Ram, yes, Random Anger Management?

I have bought ram over the last 5 years from 1-800 memory, Newegg, OWC, Fry's and Crucial.

I use my machines in Pro category, I'll save everyone the lame & insecure, egotistic need to post my income bracket...:-)

Not that all have the following problems, I have had a few w/ bad ram. While many may be made in the same factory, not all are Q/C tested the same. The only ram I have not had show up bad, go bad due to heat, heavy use or some other malady is Crucial. The extra money is worth the peace of mind.

For example, I had a Fry's stick go bad after about 8 months. It did not just go, it died slowly and made me lose many hours to trying to figure out what was causing the problems. Bad ram not found right away can cause directory damage and other things to go bad if not found right off.

But the bottom line is the time it takes away from your life to figure it out. It took at least 40 hours of clean installs, down time, head banging to trace it to the ram. If you make, $25 an hour ( and I make much more than that ) That amounts to $1,000. That is not even counting the personal stress involved.

Cheap ram might go bad and not have very good support if it does, lifetime warranty or not. Crucial has not gone bad for me and would be an easy swap if it did. My time and peace of mind is worth an extra $50-100 bucks, easily.

When I ordered my McBook, 1.83, 2gb, 7,200 rpm, I assumed that Crucial would not have the newer RAM. Had I known they did at the time I ordered it, I might have passed on having Apple do it. But you know what? This is a new machine, who knows what damage bad ram might do to it and possibly void the warranty. Not a chance I was willing to take. So I paid the extra ( I get my own discounts ) and have that peace of mind as well.

What is you time worth? If you are buying a new machine that is faster, then time seems to be of value to you and all things should be considered, yes?

While I am looking forward to this new machine, I ordered it with a degree of hesitation as I wished it supported 4GB of ram. I can use all I can get in my line of work, even in a mobile computer.
( Last edited by Daniel Bayer; Feb 1, 2006 at 05:48 PM. )
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 06:24 PM

"

If I wanted to really max it out, I could buy this dual kit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146440 and sell the stock 512 on ebay or something."

Ioh, just fair warning - the RAM in that link WON'T work with the MacBook pro. The MBP uses DDR2 667 (PC2 5300), the RAM on that link is the DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) used in the October Powerbooks. If I'm not mistaken, under clocked RAM either won't work or basically burn up from overclocking. Last I checked Newegg didn't have any DDR2 667 SO-DIMMs listed (they're new even to the PC world).

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 06:27 PM

Sorry about the crappiness of the quote in the previous post, btw - I just figured out how to do the proper quote thing.

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2006, 06:33 PM

I'm not so sure if the slower RAM would 'burn up from overclocking.'
From experience , usually it's the faster RAM that underclocks itself to accommodate the lower-speed RAM.

Either way though, you don't want to be making a compromise to the performance that you'd be getting; best to find a stick of DDR2-667.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2006, 06:48 PM

Beware 18004Memory.com. They're impossible to do refunds.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

hldan
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Beware 18004Memory.com. They're impossible to do refunds.
That may be true, but not only have I bought quality ram from them with zero issues I have also sold my old ram to them and within 7 days they cut me a check.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

jwoods
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 12:14 AM

What's up with everyone hinting how much they make? I didn't realize I had to have a six figure income or make much more than $25 an hour to buy RAM.

(Just kidding).

morffius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2006, 12:53 AM

In light of this RAM debate, I wonder what our ratio is between those who ordered the 1.67 and those who ordered the 1.83. Shall we start a poll?

1.83 for me.

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 01:08 AM

1.67 for me (couldn't quite afford the better one ), and btw, the "burn up from overclocking" was mostly ment sarcastically

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 06:42 AM

2. The word you should is "well," the adverb, not "good," the adjective. Reading 101.
Maybe you should review the part of Reading 101 that talks about the use of verbs.

Back on topic, I can also chime in with a bad memory problem on an iBook. It didn't die completely but the machine just started crashing more and more regularly and slowed down till it was unusable. Numerous reinstalls later, I took the RAM out and the machine was fine. I'm not saying this wouldn't have happened with Crucial or Apple RAM but the only bad experience I've ever had was with cheap RAM.

ccwillows
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2006, 10:33 AM

Interesting turn of the thread lately.

Poll contribution: 1.83, 7200 rpm, 1 gb (to be upgraded later to 2 gb, probably crucial), make around 15K per year

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2006, 10:38 AM

You're not allowed to buy that PowerBook if you earn less then 5 figures. Consider yourself reported to the macnn forum police®.

Let me repeat the essential rules here for you too sir.
• < 4 figures: get a PC, report to mduell for the intro course on what is a P7 vs. P8.
• >4 figures: 1.67GHz MBP allowed
• >5 figures: 1.83GHz MBP encouraged
• >6 figures: entitled to have the only correct opinion in any given thread

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 01:59 PM

You're not allowed to buy that PowerBook if you earn less then 5 figures. Consider yourself reported to the macnn forum police®.
Hey now - I only make like 3k a year - that's 3,000 (So the MBP is 2/3 my yearly income ).

Of course I'm a student ... But still.

loh
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 05:17 PM

Simon - thanks for the guide made my decision easier, go for the 1.83
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by loh
Simon - thanks for the guide made my decision easier, go for the 1.83
I'll be getting the same model. Not just based on that guide.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 05:21 PM

I haven't seen anyone getting the lower-end unit here (though I haven't looked too hard). Edit: just one.
( Last edited by schalliol; Feb 2, 2006 at 05:29 PM. )
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Higuchem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2006, 05:54 PM

I been reading some article this past week saying intel macs are at higer risk for virus attacks but there is a rebuttal to those statements.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1916535,00.asp

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Higuchem
I been reading some article this past week saying intel macs are at higer risk for virus attacks but there is a rebuttal to those statements.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1916535,00.asp
Viruses attack softwares, not hardware.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jerome
Viruses attack softwares, not hardware.
What were you saying?

Higuchem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by mduell

Thanks mduell, the two links were very interesting and helpful.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2006, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I'll be getting the same model. Not just based on that guide.

I'm sorry, Simon, but I am going to have to ban you from buying that machine. For the simple reason, that you don't have enough space in your signature to add another one!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2006, 05:57 AM

Agreed.

When I get my Intel iMac and the 1.83GHz MBP, I'll throw two old Macs on Ebay to free up some sig space.

ccwillows
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2006, 11:35 AM

[You're not allowed to buy that PowerBook if you earn less then 5 figures. Consider yourself reported to the macnn forum police®.]

I had no idea there was a caste system in the mac community.
Does that mean I have to return the 23" cinema display, too?

boombashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ccwillows
[You're not allowed to buy that PowerBook if you earn less then 5 figures. Consider yourself reported to the macnn forum police®.]

I had no idea there was a caste system in the mac community.
Does that mean I have to return the 23" cinema display, too?
Arrrrgh, you peasant! I have come to collect taxes. I will require 4 sheep and your 23" Cinema Display. Hand it over, or I'm taking your wenches!

venom600
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2006, 06:49 PM

Anyone else wonder if the MBP will have upgradeable processors like the iMac? It would be nice to be able to go into any PC shop in a year or so and pick up a 2.3 Ghz Core Duo processor and just throw it in.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by venom600
Anyone else wonder if the MBP will have upgradeable processors like the iMac? It would be nice to be able to go into any PC shop in a year or so and pick up a 2.3 Ghz Core Duo processor and just throw it in.
Don't hold your breath! The cramped quarters in a notebook make that sort of thing difficult.
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 06:53 PM

The question of cooling, front side bus, etc. (compatibility beyond just the socket size) come up, but yeah I wonder that too, especially since I've heard that the next generation of Intel mobile processors (64-bit) will use the same socket. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 07:00 PM

I haven't seen anyone getting the lower-end unit here (though I haven't looked too hard). Edit: just one.
Make it two - my college wouldn't let me borrow enough loan money for the expensive one (even though I'm on partial scholarship and not borrowing near as much as everyone else...) oh well, I'm not complaining

Don't suppose I'll get it shipped faster cause I'm almost the only one?? In that case I'll laugh at all of you for a few days

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by venom600
The only Core Duos listed on Intel's site are S478 (but they're also lacking a mention of the 2Ghz part), so the chip in the MBP may be socketed.

Originally Posted by Rumz
The question of cooling, front side bus, etc. (compatibility beyond just the socket size) come up, but yeah I wonder that too, especially since I've heard that the next generation of Intel mobile processors (64-bit) will use the same socket. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct, the current socket/chipset is expected to be forward compatible with the Merom chips, since Merom is scheduled to ship in 3Q06 while Santa Rosa isn't expected until 1Q07.

PurpleRabbit73
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2006, 06:34 PM

hey, maybe someone answered this already but can the new MacBook Pro's be able to run windows games? And with the 1.83 Ghz processor, will I experience any lag with games like Half Life 2???

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006, 06:45 PM

PR73, no one has gotten windows running on the new intel Imacs yet, so until they do HL2 isn't going to work. When the macbook ships, I'm sure many a nerd will be working on that as well.

My understanding though is that there is a competition w/ a 10k cash prize to the person who gets XP installed first. It will just be a matter of time, but not yet....
Joe

lookmark
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 06:55 PM

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I'm not sure that even a 10K prize as an incentive will be enough to get the very EFI-unfriendly XP booting on an Intel Mac any time soon. (Money can only do so much.) Windows Vista though is supposed to be EFI-savvy, and it's quite likely that someone will make that work.

dacalo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleRabbit73
hey, maybe someone answered this already but can the new MacBook Pro's be able to run windows games? And with the 1.83 Ghz processor, will I experience any lag with games like Half Life 2???
Windows cannot be installed on a Mac, yet. Lag has nothing to do with processor speed, it has to do more with your internet connection. Furthermore, graphic intensive games like Half Life 2 is more reliant on graphic cards rather than cpu. The game should run fine on the X1600 once Windows can be installed.

morffius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2006, 12:05 AM

z0ne81,

Let us know if your Apple Order Status has updated to shipped (I believe yours was shipping on the 7th.... Lucky duck) . I cant wait for you to do a hands on review with lots of pictures soon! Thanks!

Cheers

PurpleRabbit73
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2006, 03:41 AM

Is it official yet when the MacBooks will be in the stores?

Forum Links
Forum Rules