Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Order now,or wait ?

Order now,or wait ?
drlaine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 09:45 PM

Really would love to order my Macbook pro now. I'm looking at the 15" 2.16 ghz. with an upgraded 7200 rpm 100 g drive. It is not really a matter of need but want.
I've been reading about all of the problems people have been having and it seems like the issues with the pro have thinned out while more problems seem to be popping up in the blackbooks. Does it seem like maybe the newest builds of the Pros are getting better ? I know some issues will still arise and it doesn't seem like the heat problem will go away without any major changes. I guess my real question is, what chance that another update would happen in August when the new Intel processors come out ? I could wait till August (maybe) to buy. But, it would suck to wait then no upgrades. It would suck evenmore to wait till August with no upgrade and buy, then in say October the upgrades come. So I could either buy now or possibly wait up to 4 or 5 months for Rev.B ?!?!
Maybe I'm just overthinking.

Thoughts anyone ???

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 03:43 AM

you're overthinking.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2006, 09:46 AM

I overthought my Macbook half to death. Reading these forums I half expected the thing to catch fire or give me aids. It turned out to be a fantastic laptop. If the potential power of the new Core 2 Duo is important to you, make the decision now to wait and don't think about it any more. Or - in the alternative - buy a MBP now.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 10:23 AM

If Apple has been having problems integrating the Core Duos in the Pros, they may have similar heat problems with the Core 2 Duos. Who knows, it may even be a bigger problem.

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by drlaine
Really would love to order my Macbook pro now. I'm looking at the 15" 2.16 ghz. with an upgraded 7200 rpm 100 g drive. It is not really a matter of need but want.
I've been reading about all of the problems people have been having and it seems like the issues with the pro have thinned out while more problems seem to be popping up in the blackbooks. Does it seem like maybe the newest builds of the Pros are getting better ? I know some issues will still arise and it doesn't seem like the heat problem will go away without any major changes. I guess my real question is, what chance that another update would happen in August when the new Intel processors come out ? I could wait till August (maybe) to buy. But, it would suck to wait then no upgrades. It would suck evenmore to wait till August with no upgrade and buy, then in say October the upgrades come. So I could either buy now or possibly wait up to 4 or 5 months for Rev.B ?!?!
Maybe I'm just overthinking.

Thoughts anyone ???
You're thinking WAY too hard. My WhiteBook is amazing. You'll love it (as long as you dont' buy the horrid black case, it will scratch and smudge to no avail).

fesdds
Jun 7, 2006, 12:03 PM

Definitely overthinking! I needed 2 laptops, 1 for my self & 1 for the office now not later. They both work great. Yeah sometimes a little hotter than my iBook, but seriously the fans have only kicked on loud once.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2006, 01:32 PM

Now.
Macbook 2ghz|2GB|160GB|SD
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
iMac 500mhz|768MB|30GB|DVD
iPod Nano 4GB iPod Shuffle 1GB iPhone 16GB White & 8GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules