Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Education Discount

Education Discount
polinho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 10:54 AM

Hi there! I'm going to California next month and since there are a bunch of Apple Stores down there, I was thinking on buying a Macbook for myself. I am a College Student here in Europe and I have one of those International Student ID cards. Do you think they will let me use it as proof to get an education discount? Do you think that if they deny me on one store I could (maybe) have a chance in another one?

Thanks!

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 1, 2006, 12:25 PM

They are usually pretty flexible. I used my friends card, they even knew I was doing that and still gave me the discounts.

"Hello, what have we here?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2006, 10:14 PM

They will definetly give you the discount. Enjoy the MacBook.

bembol
Jul 2, 2006, 12:07 AM

Depends on the staff really...first time I bought the 20" iMac Intel Core Duo I had to drag my little Brother/College Graduate with me...a few weeks later I was told I just needed to bring his ID for my 13.3 White Mac Book "Ultimate"

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2006, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by bembol
Depends on the staff really.
Were you a student or your brother? Sounds like the OP is and has an international student id, so that shouldn't be a problem. The one thing you need to get the discount is a student ID AFAIK

Mike
Michael

polinho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2006, 08:43 AM

I know, Mike, but you see, I went to the SoHo store in NY and the guy told me my international student ID was not valid because I had no way to proof I studied in the US and that the Education Discount was ONLY for student residents in the US

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2006, 09:05 AM

That sounds like they were trying to be especially picky. You might wanna try another store. Hopefully you'll find a more relaxed manager that won't give you a hard time.

StuartFrisby
Baninated
Jul 2, 2006, 01:08 PM

I've never had a problem, I usually just show my university registration card, which they have never questioned, even though my photograph has rubbed completely off it. I guess you just have to get lucky with the person serving you, but usually apple staff are very friendly, and I'm sure you wont have a problem with your International Student ID.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2006, 02:05 PM

Depends on who you get. TECHNICALLY, they can only give the discount to a student who goes a school that is in their system.

They have to enter the school into their POS system... and it is populated with pretty much every accredited school in the country. Because they HAVE TO enter a school, home schoolers, some private schools, and international schools are not technically eligible.

I've seen some employees just put in whatever school they can find in the system (usually one they're familliar with)... but if you find one that's a stickler for the rules... they won't give you the discount.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2006, 02:55 PM

a long as your international student id is valid you should be good, but you know you can also use a valid student id from your native nation. in fact i think it would be a good idea to bring that as well.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

iMACBeth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2006, 07:05 PM

Homeschoolers are eligible for the discount from the online Apple store.
iMACBeth

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by polinho
Hi there! I'm going to California next month and since there are a bunch of Apple Stores down there, I was thinking on buying a Macbook for myself. I am a College Student here in Europe and I have one of those International Student ID cards. Do you think they will let me use it as proof to get an education discount? Do you think that if they deny me on one store I could (maybe) have a chance in another one?

Thanks!
Nope - You need to be studying in the US. No different that a US student walking into an Apple shop in Europe and hoping for a discount. Educational discounts are localised.

MisterX88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8
Nope - You need to be studying in the US. No different that a US student walking into an Apple shop in Europe and hoping for a discount. Educational discounts are localised.
Not true. I'm from Canada and have an ID at a Canadian University. I went down to the Apple Store in New Hampshire and asked if it my ID would be valid in the US. The sales person asked the manager and told me it was fine and that Apple recently changed their policy regarding that. So, I walked out of the store with a white 1.83 Macbook and a 2GB Nano on the education special!

They had trouble with their system as to which school to put me under so they just said that all Canadians should be labelled home schooled

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by MisterX88
Not true. I'm from Canada and have an ID at a Canadian University. I went down to the Apple Store in New Hampshire and asked if it my ID would be valid in the US. The sales person asked the manager and told me it was fine and that Apple recently changed their policy regarding that. So, I walked out of the store with a white 1.83 Macbook and a 2GB Nano on the education special!

They had trouble with their system as to which school to put me under so they just said that all Canadians should be labelled home schooled
It does not work in Hong Kong

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 11:59 AM

MisterX88, I hope you have a friend or relative in the US. Terms and Conditions on the rebate form specifically indicate that the "Checks must be mailed to an address within the United States or District of Columbia." And this is a revised from today as it already contains the wording to exclude the new education model iMac released this morning.

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2006, 08:13 PM

have a copy of your most recent report card - helps to prove you're still a student.
bb iBook 300MHz / 278MB / 40GB / OS 10.2.8 / OS 9.2
iBook 700MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
iBook 900MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
PowerPC 604 / 72MB / 3GB / OS 7.5.5

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by polinho
I know, Mike, but you see, I went to the SoHo store in NY and the guy told me my international student ID was not valid because I had no way to proof I studied in the US and that the Education Discount was ONLY for student residents in the US
That is very dumb. They have an education store for other countries including Canada, who cares where you buy it from, Apple is still getting money.

SpyManiac007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 11:35 PM

And though you probably already know, do it before September 14th, and you essentially receive a free 2GB iPod nano ($179 mail-in rebate). Not sure how that'd work, though, being in Europe.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2006, 12:06 AM

Do they check the individual student or just that the person has an ID card from an accredited/in system school?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2006, 12:19 AM

So long as someone with a student ID is present and breathing, then you will get the student discount. W00t they love education.

Don't have a student ID? Grab one of the students in the store and have them "help" you.

MisterX88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen
MisterX88, I hope you have a friend or relative in the US. Terms and Conditions on the rebate form specifically indicate that the "Checks must be mailed to an address within the United States or District of Columbia." And this is a revised from today as it already contains the wording to exclude the new education model iMac released this morning.
My brother lives in the US so I had that already covered. Going to call up Apple Canada to see if I can fill in either the US or Cdn form and have the rebate sent directly to Canada instead. I'm sure the answer will be no although I don't really see a difference.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 04:58 AM

... so would it be illegal for your cousin that is in college to buy your MacBook's apple care...? would you have to have the student ID just to use the AppleCare?? (yes, I did post this in another thread, but not everyone reads every thread and I'm just trying to get an answer ).
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

Forum Links
Forum Rules