Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Find by content?? is it worth it

Find by content?? is it worth it
ctpeterson
Oct 5, 2000, 06:10 PM

I have an iMac running 8.6 and of late I have had a problem using sherlock to find a file by content after indexing the specified folder or drive. Sherlock just quits, no error it just quits. When I re open, it is stuck on find file instead of the find by content that I was trying to use. I have trashed sherlock prefs and indexing prefs, but still no good. I don't know what else to try. The reason I like the find by content is that I have some scripts from TV shows that i like to search by quotes at times. Should I just bag it and forget the content search?
Mac=Life
iMac 266 320MB OS 10.3
MacBook Core 2 Duo 10.4
http://petersoninidaho.blogspot.com

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2000, 12:57 PM

i've personally never found the find by content feature very useful, but then i've never needed to search TV scripts. anyway, what i would do is to try re-indexing the drive and, should that fail, re-install sherlock (which might recquire the whole OS). if neither of those options works out, you may have to give up on it...

-r.

wertyCA
Oct 6, 2000, 05:31 PM

You might want to try UltraFind:
http://www.ultradesign.com/software.html

UltraFind solves probably the biggest problem you have today: how to quickly find something in the overwhelming volume of information on your hard disks or on your network. Powerful and full-featured, UltraFind treats your Mac or network as an information-rich file and text searchable database.

Its extremely fast Text Search shows words in context (in their original sentence), can search in both live or preindexed modes, and even includes a built-in Thesaurus, allowing you to find documents related to a particular topic you are looking for, on your hard disks, in text indexes, and on the World Wide Web and in Newsgroups.

Based on Ultradesign Technology's proprietary UltraSearch� engine, UltraFind is the fastest and most flexible text search and file management program available for the Macintosh and was awarded 5 Mice by MacUser Online in 1996. UltraFind is widely used in military, academic and corporate installations, and by over 10,000 professional Mac users in 64 countries.

Whether you're looking for the latest version of a document, searching abstracts, articles or email messages, filtering technical papers, searching for fonts on the network, images, artwork or programs, UltraFind will locate the exact information you need in seconds and give you immediate access to it. And searching is just one half of UltraFind, to see what it can do with the search results see:

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2000, 04:40 AM

I bet $20 he works for them =P

------------------
-See Yea!

kaiZ
Oct 8, 2000, 06:04 AM

To search through text just use BBedit Lite, from http://www.barebones.com

It is FREE!

You can search either the file that is open, or more usefully all files in a given folder. You can specify whether to search the folders within the folder as well, so you can search the whole hard disk if you so wish.

I use it for search and replace to edit .HTML files. If you learn how to use the GREP search you can do some pretty funky stuff.

And I don't even work for Barebones software!

--
kaiZ

Nauscicaa
Oct 11, 2000, 09:54 AM

Try Find in Files from http://www.mauisoftware.com/#FindInFiles

It's fast and has some nice features. If you can get your hands on version 1.0 your lucky because, although lacking the nice features, it's bloody fast.

Forum Links
Forum Rules