Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Is 9.2.1 worth the update?

Is 9.2.1 worth the update?
moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2001, 12:36 AM

Hey all,
I'm currently running 9.1 and am completely happy. I saw that 9.2.1 came out and I've seen mixed reviews. Is it THAT much of an update? Or should I just stick with 9.1 for now? And does 9.2.1 mess up any apps or anything? I really don't wanna have to go in and update everything for 9.2.1...
Thanks,
moofman[/LIST]

-Q-
Sep 5, 2001, 10:33 AM

There's a thread that outlines the pluses/minuses of upgrading. IMO, it's only worth it if you use OS X. I've noticed some measurable increases in speed in launching and using classic in X. When I use my iBook in 9, I really don't notice much other than OpenTransport starting up before all the other extensions. At this point, I'd wait. But YMMV.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2001, 10:45 PM

Well I think it also depends on what computer you have. I updated my powerbook to 9.2.1, and after that, it crashed on the insertion of any disk into the dvd drive. Well after reformatting and sending it back to apple for a repair(lcd screen), I tried loading OS X 10.0.4 with 9.2.1 on the powerbook already and it wouldn't even read the cd. I couldn't even boot up off of it. Well everything ran fine besides that, but when I was looking for an app on a cd today, it crashed when I loaded the cd, so I decided to go back to 9.1. I also got to load 10.0.4 also. I may go back to 9.2.1, but I don't know if it is worth it. Sure it was cool to be able to control the sound in itunes with the volume keys, but is that worth the crashes???
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2001, 10:50 PM

Well I think it also depends on what computer you have. I updated my powerbook to 9.2.1, and after that, it crashed on the insertion of any disk into the dvd drive. Well after reformatting and sending it back to apple for a repair(lcd screen), I tried loading OS X 10.0.4 with 9.2.1 on the powerbook already and it wouldn't even read the cd. I couldn't even boot up off of it. Well everything ran fine besides that, but when I was looking for an app on a cd today, it crashed when I loaded the cd, so I decided to go back to 9.1. I also got to load 10.0.4 also. I may go back to 9.2.1, but I don't know if it is worth it. Sure it was cool to be able to control the sound in itunes with the volume keys, but is that worth the crashes???
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Mr. Blonde
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2001, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by jguidroz:
<STRONG>Well I think it also depends on what computer you have. I updated my powerbook to 9.2.1, and after that, it crashed on the insertion of any disk into the dvd drive. Well after reformatting and sending it back to apple for a repair(lcd screen), I tried loading OS X 10.0.4 with 9.2.1 on the powerbook already and it wouldn't even read the cd. I couldn't even boot up off of it. Well everything ran fine besides that, but when I was looking for an app on a cd today, it crashed when I loaded the cd, so I decided to go back to 9.1. I also got to load 10.0.4 also. I may go back to 9.2.1, but I don't know if it is worth it. Sure it was cool to be able to control the sound in itunes with the volume keys, but is that worth the crashes???</STRONG>
If you reinstall,disable all of the Authoring Support extensions and Disc Burner. There are 5 extensions in all. They cause the DVD drives in G3 powerbooks to freeze.

SDAP Authoring Support
Firewire Authoring Support
Authoring Support
USB Authoring Support
Disc Burner

Use Toast to burn CDs

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2001, 01:13 AM

Ive run into a few other problems with 9.2.1 on my indigo fw ibook.

Sometimes when I load up web pages in IE5 and netscape 6.1, the scroll bar at the side diappears and I ant get it back. So do the navigation forward and backward buttons.

No idea why, but it never happened in 9.04 or 9.1, and Ive tried formatting and it happened again.

Any ideas?
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Cipher13
Sep 7, 2001, 04:30 AM

Absolutely not.

On my G4/400 I installed 9.1 fresh off CD, then updated.

4 days later it chewed my drive... 9.21 tried to handle drive corruption itself, from the finder.
I got dialog boxes which would come up, warning me, then upon clicking okay, would reappear. I could barely do anything at all.

I got rid of it and went back to 9.04, the best MacOS.

DocWest
Senior User
Sep 7, 2001, 09:05 PM

Well no problems for me. I dont even have OS X.
As always: "IF you don't try it, you dont know what you're missing."
Sure, bad things COULD happen, but they didnt with me, so I say 9.2.1 is the best OS ive ever used.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2001, 09:39 PM

I personally saw more stability in Classic under OS X, tons more compatibility (especially with internet apps) and general stability improvements when booting in OS 9.2.1....

but others saw no difference... so it's just a gamble.

I would upgrade before upgrading to 10.1 though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules