Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Network printers

Network printers
Michael Jolly
Aug 31, 2006, 05:09 PM

wondering if you could all help, I will be buying a printer for a small home network (7 machines) so i need a printer with either a wireless or ethernet connection any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

OreoCookie
Aug 31, 2006, 05:36 PM

What's you budget? Would you like to be able to print in color? Laser or inkjet?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Michael Jolly  (op)
Aug 31, 2006, 05:40 PM

around £100-150 and an color ink jet as i have some problems with lasers,
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

OreoCookie
Sep 1, 2006, 08:06 AM

For that price, you have not much choice. The only printer I can think of would be Canon's i5200R (160 Euros). A sturdier alternative is HP's OfficeJet K550DTN (289 Euros, LAN) or its bigger brother DTWN (329 Euros).

There are a few HP printers with LAN in the same price-range as Canon's i5200R, but I wouldn't recommend them. Just do a search on HP inkjets and you'll know why.

Well, stupid me, I forgot one obvious alternative: you can connect your printer to any of your (desktop) computers and use it as a print server. Then, all you need is to buy a regular inkjet (e. g. a Canon) and connect it to your favorite Mac. It then shows up automatically in the Print dialog of any other Mac in the Network (under Shared).

Michael Jolly  (op)
Sep 1, 2006, 08:34 AM

it works for the 3 mac but they dont play nice with the Pc (always had trouble with this) many thanks

Apple addict Since 2004

OreoCookie
Sep 1, 2006, 09:16 AM

Well, other than `worked for me', I cannot say much (my brother can print via my father's Mac).

It is not really advisable to buy an external printserver for cheap inkjet printers. Another option might be to check out ebay for some used Business Inkjets. But if I were you, I would either get the Canon or increase the budget and get the HP.

cms
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 09:33 AM

NO disrespect to OreoCookie, but I don't agree with him that all HP inkjets are garbage.

Over the past 6 months, I've become a big fan of the Hewlett-Packard Deskjet 6940. It's a proper network-ready ink-jet printer that hops onto your network via its built-in ethernet card and plays very nicely indeed on mixed-platform networks without any issues at all. Installating is really simple, too. Colours are nice and sharp (although not really photo-quality) and documents are crisp and professional-looking, particularly if you use 90 gsm paper instead of flimsy 80 gsm copy paper. The printer has a pretty high capacity and, while HP cartridges are certainly not cheap, you get plenty of mileage for your money. It's fast and quiet and looks pretty -- aluminium casing and neat, attractive design.

I've installed dozens of these in home network and small office environments over the past 6 months, and everyone loves them. I was so impressed with the first one I installed that I bought one myself for my home (mixed platform) network, and it has never given me a moment's trouble. The best thing about the printer is the price: £82.21 (inc. VAT) on www.dabs.com today: Quicklinx XTNWS. But shop around (www.kelkoo.co.uk) and you will probably find it cheaper.

OreoCookie
Sep 1, 2006, 09:45 AM

No, that's ok, no offense taken

It's just that I dislike HP's ink tank policy, they are still convinced that they can get away with selling three-ink color cartridges. My parents have had three HP multifunction printers (plus some lasers), and each generation has gotten crappier (their current multifunction printer's paper tray for example is a joke).

(I have used many HP printers over the years (LaserJet IIIP, LaserJet 3, LaserJet 3100, LaserJet 4050, LaserJet 4250, DeskJet 510, DeskJet 840, OfficeJet G85, and many more).)

Their Business Inkjets and OfficeJets have separate inktanks and `feel' very sturdy and offer separate ink tanks as well.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Sep 1, 2006 at 09:55 AM. )

cms
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 09:53 AM

I hear you on the ink tank issue, OreoCookie. And I absolutely agree with you that HP's multifunction kit is mostly junk. I wouldn't touch any of them with a 10-foot pole. But what I like about the Deskjet 6940 is its simplicity of design and function. It's just a network printer, no more, no less. nd in my quite considerable experience of installing and using it, it really does do what it says on the tin.

The price is pretty darn good, too here in the UK. Although it probably seems expensive to anyone living in, or from, the US....!

OreoCookie
Sep 1, 2006, 10:03 AM

I would honestly consider HP's cheapest OfficeJet (1100), but I prefer laser printers since I don't print much in color, but need nice duplexing and higher speeds. Plus, toner is much cheaper than ink if you buy the right printer (about one toner cartridge a year/7500-8500 pages a year).

However, I'm glad you like your printer, competition is a good thing™

Michael Jolly  (op)
Sep 1, 2006, 10:03 AM

cool may look up the HP its around £72 on some sites
thanks guys for the advice

Apple addict Since 2004

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2006, 09:23 AM

Just a quick follow up question on this topic. I have long used a Canon inkjet attached to a computer and used the computer as a print server but, due to a different layout in my new place, I really need a standalone IP printer. My main question is if there are any OS requirements for this. I found a nifty networkable Canon laser printer but it claims OS support for Windows only.

Is this right ? Shouldn't a networkable printer work with OS X just fine or are there OS specific drivers that are needed?

Black & White Laser Multifunction Printers - Laser Multifunction Printer - Copier - Fax - Scanner - imageCLASS® MF5770 - Specifications - Canon USA Consumer Products This is the product I'm looking at. Would it work with OS X ??

powerbooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2006, 10:58 PM

I am using a Brother MFC-420CN, a multi-function station: inkjet printer, copier, scanner, fax, and flash card reader. The N in this series represents "network", with both USB and ethernet link. I plug it into one of the RJ45 jack in my wireless router, and it is automatically assigned a local IP address, and Mac can find it via "Bonjour". All my computer, either Mac or PC can connect to it via either hardwire or wireless connection. Very convenient. The print quality may not be the best, but it is fast and fits my need very well, and it's cheap, about US$150 here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules