Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook 13: Bags!

Macbook 13: Bags! (Page 12)
cxjr25
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by oijw27 View Post

Barry's Farm

Barry's Farm

omg are they cute or are they cute
Thats a niiiice, just wish it was neoprene....the vinyl with soft interior lining doesn't sound like it does much protecting

mutejute
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2007, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache View Post
Not sure about the measurements but I just found these:

Powertraveller.com - Technology that Travels™
i am torn between this celly bag and stm alley. but im inclined on getting the celly bag because it looks more nice and cool. the thing i dont know is how big this bag is, is it well-padded, and how snug the macbook inside. has anyone bought this bag? can anyone post a pic with a macbook inside. thanks.

_Elle_
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pcubed View Post
After I bought my Macbook, I got a Sony Vaio neoprene sleeve because I've read from this forum that it's a good fit. Well, it does fit well but after a while (about a month), it left black stains on my laptop and I'm trying to find ways to remove it. Does anyone know anything that'll work? I've read the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser could do the trick. Here are some pictures, it's not very clear since I took it with a camera phone but I don't have access to my digital camera right now.

I've been looking all over for a better replacement and I've finally got the LArobe Sleeve by be.ez in San Jose. It has a nice solid feel to it especially when I have the laptop inside. The zippers are big and sturdy and there's a lining near the zipper to ensure that the laptop won't be scratched. There's that shock protection foam similar to the one in the Shinza where if you were to press onto it, it'd leave an imprint and will slowly reshape itself again. I've got the Sweet color which is a purply color. Here are some pictures: Let me know if you have any questions regarding this sleeve.

The plastic casing in came in

There was a sample of the fabric attached to the casing

Before the laptop is in

What it looks like opened

With the laptop partially in

All the way in

The zipper

Zipped with the laptop inside
Hi
I see by your picture that the 13" MacBook seems to fit perfectly into the be.ez sleeve. Just thought I'd double check once more with you, since you can see beyond the pictures because you actually have this sleeve, if there is any bit of space once you put the MacBook in this sleeve. Some of the other sleeves mentioned by others on this forum including the STM Rebound have an extra inch give or take but I'm really wanting a sleeve that fits my 13" MacBook perfectly and exactly.

Thanks for your help!

Spacey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2007, 05:26 PM

Excellent forum, excellent thread. Read this thread, some very good posts. Thanks for everyone’s input.

The problem I have is regarding the STM Small Brink messenger bag. Well the problem is that I can’t seem to find a review about it anywhere. Hence, instead of being a lurker I thought it best to post a query about this bag. I was intending to get the STM small alley bag, but I’ve heard some people having problems with the two “gaps” at the top, which let rain water in. Something which is a problem for me in England, where it rains at least once a day (on a good day). The alley does not seem to have any guard to prevent this.

I came across the STM Small Brink and liked the look of (it has a guard to stop rainwater get in. It is also more of a messenger bag, in that it “wide”.

My query is – how good is it? And can I carry cables/transformer etc in it as well.

Thanks for your help.

stm – shoulder bags – small brink shoulder bag

Laptop Shoulder Bags, Apple Notebook Shoulder Bags - STM - Lifetime Warranty

neoben
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2007, 11:46 PM

Howdy...

I've just 'switched' to a MacBook from being a PC user for the last 10 years, so it's great to find this forum..

I was looking for a case for my MacBook, and liked a lot of what I saw at the Apple store, so I decided to make a video-roundup of all the ones I liked...

I put it up as part of my Podcast. I hope you get something out of it...

Neo-Fight: Episode 169 - Lots of MacBook Bags

Looking forward to reading some of these interesting topics. We'll be having more Mac stuff on the podcast too.. (We just started editing it on FCP6)...

Best,

Ben
---------------------------------------------------------
neo-fight.tv - {The Weekly Technology Podcast}

Spacey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2007, 04:48 PM

Thanks Ben, for the link.

Very informative video.

Thanks.

farshid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 02:09 AM

I am going back to grad school, prepared with a 13" MB. Want a good workhorse backpack so that in case I haul a couple of textbooks as well, I have the necessary support/protection for my back as well as the laptop. Although I try not to load things down, I expect usually to have at least class notes + 1 textbook+light lunch for example, and an average walk to get anywhere on campus is 10-15 minutes.

I tried on the Brenthaven Trek and STM evolution at the Apple store, liked both of them very much. I liked the extra space+compartment and better materials of the Brenthaven, but liked the waist strap of the STM, which the Brenthaven doesn't have. Also, the MB seemed to fit better in the Trek. Do people have experience with these two? Does the lack of waist strap on the Brenthaven make it the worse choice for my back/shoulders/neck?

I also see great reviews for the Swiss Gear Maxxum, which I haven't been able to try on yet. It sounds as capable as the Brenthaven, but is significantly cheaper, anybody know why?

Thanks, your help is much appreciated...

328iGuy
Jul 20, 2007, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by farshid View Post
I am going back to grad school, prepared with a 13" MB. Want a good workhorse backpack so that in case I haul a couple of textbooks as well, I have the necessary support/protection for my back as well as the laptop. Although I try not to load things down, I expect usually to have at least class notes + 1 textbook+light lunch for example, and an average walk to get anywhere on campus is 10-15 minutes.

I tried on the Brenthaven Trek and STM evolution at the Apple store, liked both of them very much. I liked the extra space+compartment and better materials of the Brenthaven, but liked the waist strap of the STM, which the Brenthaven doesn't have. Also, the MB seemed to fit better in the Trek. Do people have experience with these two? Does the lack of waist strap on the Brenthaven make it the worse choice for my back/shoulders/neck?

I also see great reviews for the Swiss Gear Maxxum, which I haven't been able to try on yet. It sounds as capable as the Brenthaven, but is significantly cheaper, anybody know why?

Thanks, your help is much appreciated...
For the requirements you explain above, I would say the bag I have been using with my MB for the past 4 months would be a PERFECT fit.

I am presently using the "Crumpler - Considerable Embarrasement" and it is fantastic, from the build quality, comfort to storage space. I would highly recommend you check out the Crumpler bags if you haven't already done so. You won't regret it!

dmgboots
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 12:11 PM

sorry for the double post. I meant to edit it but instead I started a new post somehow.
( Last edited by dmgboots; Jul 20, 2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: double post)

dmgboots
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 12:12 PM

I use this for my 13' MB. Size Large fits with enough room for a few notebooks, books, or folders.

farshid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2007, 02:17 AM

Thanks for your inputs, but I really prefer a backpack, and now I have decided I also want it to have a waist strap for extra support (I am only medium height, so it makes a difference when there are a couple of textbooks...)

I have so far narrowed it down to STM vs. Targus. I tried the STM evolution on and liked it, but would have liked another compartment. So I really would like to try the STM sport, but cannot find it in my local Apple store.. I also tried the Targus Feren, Flare, and XL (was too big for my taste). The Targus' were all much better than I thought, but were clearly heavier and more built like a tank. I fell the STM looks a little more like an outdoorsy backpack with lighter more advanced materials, but I could just be bs'ing myself.

Does anyone have any experience with the STM sport (or the other models I described above)? Is Targus generally a good brand to look at? (I was concerned because it was not offered through the Apple store, but that may not matter...)

Thanks again,

Farshid

funkyjudge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2007, 04:03 PM

I have the STM Sphere (small size suitable for the Macbook). I think it may be smaller than the evolution and sport models. The quality of the bag is excellent. Loads of pockets and well padded. I chose it because it was a compact size and looks like a regular backpack. You would never know i had a laptop inside it.

Flickr Set

I actually use the rear compartment for the Macbook and not the middle one as they suggest (zipping it up can be tight on the corners). The rear one has room for the Macbook, protected in a Marwell cover, plus a few magazines and street atlas.
The middle compartment has plenty of space for other things like lunch etc. The front compartment has small pockets for things like a mobile phone, camera or iPod.

funkyjudge
Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - Black
1GB memory, 80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive

MacChicaroo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2007, 05:30 PM

I have this one and I l-o-v-e it! You can get it so that the orientation is vertical and then just slip it in any old backpack. That way your laptop is protected, but you don't have to get a fugly laptop-specific backpack.

Waterfield Designs / Sfbags.com

http://www.sfbags.com

MacChicaroo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2007, 05:39 PM

Hey funkyjudge, I wrote my comment before seeing your post; it wasn't directed at your backpack! That is indeed a normal-looking backpack. Many of the other laptop-specific ones leave much to be desired, style-wise.

rml
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 10:33 AM

rml
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 10:34 AM

DwayneWayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2007, 07:03 PM

I just got my Booq Hyper sleeve for my MacBook. I am going to update this post with some pictures. First impressions are that the sleeve is good - I like the design, and it seems pretty solid.

Update (pictures);

( Last edited by DwayneWayne; Aug 30, 2007 at 06:41 AM. Reason: added photos)

SpencerLavery
Sep 2, 2007, 06:33 AM

I just got my Crumpler Boomer M, specially designed for the MacBook 13". Pretty happy with it, though it's missing a few key features I've come to expect from Crumpler bags. Full review with photos to follow.
WhiteBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio HD
Wireless Mighty Mouse, Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Hyundia 22" LCD
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

Drew
Sep 4, 2007, 11:34 PM

I decided not to shell out money for a bag, so I asked my grandma to make me one I gave her the measurements and told her what I was looking for in the bag. I'll post the results and maybe some pictures when she's finished!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2007, 05:14 PM

I bought a Crumpler Salary Sacrifice for my MacBook.
The internal laptop sleeve fits the MacBook really well. I am going to order a Radtech Sleeve since there is a small amount of space around the MacBook and with a Sleeve I think it'd be perfect.

I like the bag because it's small and thin. I do not need water bottle holders on the side of my backpack, which I hardly ever use and they widen the bag too much.
The Salary Sacrifice is really spacious inside.

johnnypark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2007, 11:12 PM

Great thread!

I'm looking for a case for my 13" MacBook. It has to be pretty sturdy, have a shoulder strap, and have enough room to hold an external hard drive as well as the computer, a mouse, and the power supply.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

MacChicaroo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2008, 12:10 AM

Waterfield Designs
Sleevecase: Velcro-closing neoprene fun. Macbook size: 13.

Made in San Fransisco. All over the web (and the mega-bags thread under the Powerbook forum), you'll find highly satisfied WF customers.
-------------------------------------------------------
I know you were just listing companies in alphabetical order, but man, you really should put Waterfield at the top of the list. They are worth every penny.

I have the MacBook Air SleeveCase in hand already. Fits perfectly. (I received the sleeve two days after ordering it!) The top of the laptop is actually protected even though the main sleeve is three-sided. (They also have an optional flap you can get, but I don't think it's really necessary.) The strap that closes the sleeve brings the top two pieces almost together and the sleeve is VERY well padded, while still staying slim.

Their gear is bullet-proof. Their customer service rocks too. There is a reason they have such a loyal following. Well-thought out designs, amazing quality and fast (and nice) customer service.

Thanks for starting a great thread.

MacChicaroo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2008, 12:13 AM

Whoops--thought this was about the MacBook Air. My last comment is about my new MacBook Air case. I have a Waterfield sleeve for my MacBook too. They both rock

alisonkay2008
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2008, 11:19 PM

All those cases for cool~
I personally like this one. Macbook Pro Case

HowEver
Feb 27, 2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by alisonkay2008 View Post
All those cases for cool~
I personally like this one. Macbook Pro Case
I like how your grammar matches that site exactly! And I don't like those cases much...

I'm in the market for a case again and looking for reviews for the Mac-Case Signature Suit (still)....

Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
I guess I'll never read a proper review of the case-mate sig-suit for the MacBook. It costs a lot but there's no way to know if anybody uses it and likes it, perhaps it's just that nobody uses it?

MacBook Cases, 15" Macbook Pro Cases - Case-mate

( Last edited by HowEver; Feb 27, 2008 at 08:30 PM. )

pallos100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2008, 12:18 PM

For those of you who want a more stylish bag that works for both men and woman check out Malcolm Fontier bags. I bought this bag a month ago and could not be happier with the design, size, pockets and material.
I am in the process of changing over from a Powerbook G4 15in to a new aluminum Macbook 13. I was pleasently suprised to find that my new notebook fits perfectly in my Fontier Guide bag. I used to lug around a larger Tumi bag but now have a nice compact package with the Macbook 13 and the Fontier. The bag has a neoprene sleeve with a flip over velcro holder. The material is a coated canvas that feels cool to the touch and i bet is pretty water resistant. Check it out at
http://www.malcolmfontier.com/store/...products_id=30
( Last edited by pallos100; Nov 6, 2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: tried to add a pic)

r2g2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2008, 01:46 PM

www.simonandcleo.com has some cool looking sleeves for ipods and laptops - and whats more, some of them can be combined with their interesting wallets (Pure Rebel wallet and sleeve makes a wicked combo!)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by r2g2 View Post
www.simonandcleo.com has some cool looking sleeves for ipods and laptops - and whats more, some of them can be combined with their interesting wallets (Pure Rebel wallet and sleeve makes a wicked combo!)
nice sleeves, but no full-sized pictures! are they padded? do they close (seems not)...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

r2g2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
nice sleeves, but no full-sized pictures! are they padded? do they close (seems not)...
Yea - ample padding - dont close though - they are meant to be used with your existing bag or case. Perfect for carrying around in your studio (or office). Yea, they should put in higher res pictures

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2008, 01:54 AM

that simonandcleo design looks awfully similar to my Fabrix Case Black Suit Delux case man.

roelani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2009, 09:46 AM

I see no-one has mentioned the Knomo collections. There aren't many reviews out there, but they are definitely worth checking out.

For any women out there who don't want to lug around a bag that screams "I contain a laptop", the Portobello collection is lovely and stylish. I'm not generally a fan of fashion, but I really wanted a leather bag that looked nice enough to double as a purse. I also carry around files and paper notebooks, so I can switch it out with the MacBook when I don't need it. They have quite a few models that fit the MacBook 13, so you guys should check them out.

I ordered mine today, so I'll keep you guys posted on the bag when it arrives. A few pics for the curious:

-roelani
wordinprogress.com

paulhnet1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2009, 11:47 AM

Hi, need some advice on a slim messenger bag for the MBP 13 inch unibody, for business -

Does anyone have experience with Malcolm Fontier Diplomat 13? It looks really nice and well constructed but wondering how it is functionally.
Modern Messenger Bags - The Diplomat 13

Also considering Booq Taipan Slimcase S but the laptop compartment seems less padded.
MacBook Sleeves by booq

Also looking at Knomo or Tucano but they don't have much options for 13 inch...

//

Forum Links
Forum Rules