Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > is this a good deal on a Powermac

is this a good deal on a Powermac
Michael Jolly
Dec 30, 2007, 07:55 PM

Dual G5 1.8Ghz Processors
1gb ram
160gb hard drive
ATI Radeon 9600 XT with DVI and ADC
Apple Keyboard & Mouse

Running OS 10.3

With a 20inch Apple monitor

for £650

10.3 is not a problem as i have a copy of 10.5

So what do you think?
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2007, 09:53 PM

With the display included, it is a pretty reasonable price, I think. Not out-of-the-park insane cheap, but a good deal. Save up a bit for some more RAM, and you'll have a pretty decent machine.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2007, 02:21 AM

Ask the seller to cut £50-£75 off the price, and it will be an average deal, or thereabouts.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Michael Jolly  (op)
Dec 31, 2007, 05:13 AM

Thanks guys I was thinking of upgrading the HDD to 500GB and the RAM to 4GB the model number is M9454LL/A which makes it around 2005 vintage,
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

yikes600
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2007, 05:17 AM

Pretty average deal but I would avoid any PPC altogether... any Intel mac will be far more future-proof for the next couple years ahead :-)

Michael Jolly  (op)
Dec 31, 2007, 05:52 AM

True it would, but i cant afford a MacPro at this time and my iMac is really to small screaned to do any meaningfull design work,

Apple addict Since 2004

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2007, 04:22 PM

Some G5 towers were limited to 4 GB max RAM, IMO unacceptable. What is the max RAM that box will take? What are your intended uses?

IMO buying into last generation tech is a bad idea unless it is really, really cheap. Note that G5 to MacIntel was a dramatic platform change, not just a speed bump. Already there are app versions that only run on MacIntel. £650 may not be a good deal. In any event wait until after Mac Expo January 15th to re-evaluate, since the Mac world changes then.

-Allen Wicks

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Jolly View Post
i cant afford a MacPro at this time and my iMac is really to small screaned to do any meaningfull design work,
I just noticed that you already own two MacIntel boxes. IMO going backwards to G5 would be unwise. Better to instead max out RAM on what you have and add a second display while you slowly save to move to a Mac Pro. You do not say what design work you do, but most designers including me find 2 displays hugely beneficial. But first see what falls out of Mac Expo in January.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Dec 31, 2007 at 04:41 PM. )

Michael Jolly  (op)
Jan 1, 2008, 02:40 PM

I was going to have to wait till after Macworld and see what steve delivers, otherwise the general idea is add a second monitor and max out the RAM on the iMac, I use Adobe illustrator and Photoshop for Graphic design. okay well its a week away so we shall wait,

Apple addict Since 2004

Forum Links
Forum Rules