Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > word 2004 printing problems

word 2004 printing problems
Michael Jolly
Feb 1, 2008, 03:35 PM

so i have a little problem printing via wireless to my HP Deskjet 6940, I get the rather unhelpful error (below) yet if i print of a document from text edit it prints fine wirelessly no error is returned at all

any ideas what to do?
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Feb 2, 2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: tried to fix your img code)
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

Cold Warrior
Feb 2, 2008, 12:31 PM

Try adding your printer again through the Printer Utility and then try to use that newly-added one from within Word.

Michael Jolly  (op)
Feb 2, 2008, 01:27 PM

I have added the printer again both in system preferences and within word, that failed so i reinstalled word no joy and patched it to the newest patch, I updated the drivers for HP printer and still the same error.

So yes i am really stumped,
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

Cold Warrior
Feb 2, 2008, 01:37 PM

Has it ever worked over wifi with Word 2004? Will it work connected directly to the printer?

Michael Jolly  (op)
Feb 2, 2008, 01:57 PM

Just connected it to a printer no go, yet will print from Neo office/textedit no problem, i also tried it on my iMac via Wifi it has word 2004, worked fine no problem this is really weird,

Apple addict Since 2004

Cold Warrior
Feb 2, 2008, 02:05 PM

Delete your Word 2004 preferences and caches. They're located in your home folder > Library > Preferences, and will start with com.microsoft.*. There's also a Microsoft folder in there, which also contains some plist files.

One thing to check though: start up another Office 2004 app, e.g., Excel, and try to print with it. If it doesn't, then you should expand your plist and cache deletions to all of Office 2004.

bmwparamedic
Feb 2, 2008, 02:41 PM

I had this problem last week. I then installed 2008 and that worked. I called MS and spent about 5 hours working them them. Uninstalling installing updated patches, deleting things. Nothing worked.

I deleted it and did an archive and install and it fixed the problem.

Michael Jolly  (op)
Feb 2, 2008, 03:04 PM

prefs deleted and tried again still the same problem, okay this is odd

Apple addict Since 2004

Cold Warrior
Feb 2, 2008, 03:06 PM

Create a new user and try it from the new user account.

Michael Jolly  (op)
Feb 2, 2008, 09:03 PM

new user account created and this problem still happens. i have no idea why its very frustrating

Apple addict Since 2004

Cold Warrior
Feb 2, 2008, 09:06 PM

Maybe time to consider an archive-install, like bmwparamedic mentioned.

bmwparamedic
Feb 2, 2008, 11:12 PM

Yeah archive-install worked for me, I was dreading I was going to have to do a fresh install. Office 2008 is another option, however for me it wasn't since I have to use EndNote.

Forum Links
Forum Rules