Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Applecare rocks!

Applecare rocks!
Happy Camper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2008, 12:28 PM

Long time lurker here, but never registered - felt compelled to tell my story. I had one of the last Powerbooks ever made, and the warranty is about to run out, so I sent it off for a number of repairs I have been putting off (relatively minor screen issues). Well, a week goes by and I'm getting impatient, then someone from Apple calls and tells me they can't locate the part they need, and they are going to send me a new MacBook Pro! I'm still in shock!

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2008, 12:32 PM

What an awesome story.. congratulations!

Happy Camper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2008, 12:42 PM

Thanks! It is pretty awesome... I do have a follow-up question though - I now have a lot of Powerbook related stuff that I don't need - 2 power supplies, a sleeve, a copy of iWork 08, Leopard retail, a vga adapter, potentially an external iSight etc, and tried to post them on the marketplace, but found that I need to make 100 posts first - is there any way to short cut this, or do I really need to make 100 posts? Could someone do me a favor and make a post entitled 'Powerbook accoutrements' or somesuch, and I could reply to it with the list of stuff? Otherwise there's always ebay I guess... Thanks!

Happy Camper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2008, 12:50 PM

My other question is that I have a time machine backup from my powerbook - am I right in thinking that I just plug this in at startup and can restore? Any quirks I should be aware of with this? Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Jul 15, 2008, 12:52 PM

You will have to PM a Marketplace moderator with that request.
Moderators are listed at the bottom of each section's page, but they are:
MacNN Forums - View Profile: chipchen
MacNN Forums - View Profile: Steve
MacNN Forums - View Profile: chippervw

OreoCookie
Jul 15, 2008, 12:56 PM

Congrats!
They've also lost a package once, and I got the latest and greatest in return as well (not as good a deal as yours, though ).

There have been serious problems regarding fraud in the Marketplace and -- unlike any other forum -- it's serious (i. e. about money). It has taken its toll on even experienced mods and we have been forced to change our policies. That's why we have decided that members need at least 100 posts to create threads in the Marketplace.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 01:06 PM

Congrats! Looks like your AppleCare really paid off.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 15, 2008, 08:11 PM

Congrats!! Aren't you glad you got Applecare?

Happy Camper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2008, 08:51 PM

Boy am I. You know what the best thing is? I can buy Applecare again for this machine and get another three years coverage! When I first heard about it I assumed that Applecare would be pegged to the old machine, but no...
I feel like I've really lucked out!

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2008, 09:09 PM

Applecare is great. A friend of mine bought a used iBook and it still had Applecare on it. It developed a problem and they sent him a new Macbook. This was just last October.... He gave me the Macbook for Christmas....I think he payed like $400 for the iBook....

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2008, 12:42 PM

Applecare usually takes care of the mishaps. I have had a iPod & Mouse replaced and 2 bad batteries replaced, but have yet to score an upgrade!
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2008, 12:44 PM

I got moved from a black Mac Powerbook G3 to a Tibook that way. Nice, isn't it?

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2008, 04:31 PM

Apple Care did the same thing for me. I was having superdrive issues with my white 24" iMac. It happened 3 times they sent me a new aluminum one when I grumbled. (Said they couldn't get the parts too).

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2008, 11:39 PM

My story is hardly as good as yours but it's good nevertheless.

Way back in the day when the first Airport came out (the graphite one), mine bit the dust long after AppleCare had run out but on a tip from one of these forums (possibly Macnn) I called to see what they would do. It turns out there was a big problem with certain capacitors burning out on a huge population of the Graphites and they sent me a shipping box to send the old one back; they also sent me a new (re-furbished) BS inside the box. So I had talked to them in the early afternoon about the problem; by 10:30 am I had a replacement.

Can't beat that for good service!

aquilles10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2008, 08:06 PM

Wow, I really want to send in my Macbook with a couple of issues now! I'm glad I got AppleCare. It's such peace of mind.

charlespsu
Jul 22, 2008, 09:20 PM

This thread is so obviously a scammer trying to get his post count up. Embarrasing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules