Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Air-style comments

MacBook Air-style comments
frdmfghtr
Senior User
Feb 1, 2009, 01:51 AM

Shortly after going back to a stationary desktop-only setup, I found myself in need of a notebook. I thought about getting a MacBook, but went with a refurbished MacBook Air instead; only $999, which I thought was a pretty good deal. It's an older unit, with the 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 80 GB PATA drive, and 2 GB RAM. I'll use it primarily for electronic documentation, with the occasional dip into WinXP via Parallels. I could have gone with an inexpensive WIndows notebook, but didn't want to have to deal with downgrading to WinXP and besides, the refurb Air was a pretty good deal. Without really thinking about it at the time, I ordered it shortly after iLife '09 was released so it included the iLife '09 DVD.

As portability is my main need, and being able to compare it to my recent MacBook experience, I have to say...the Air is a winner.

Backlit keyboard: I never really thought about the usefulness of a backlit keyboard, until I actaully used one. Besides the cool look, it really does help in low-light conditions even when the keys are still readable in the ambient light.

Autodiming backlit screen: the autodimming screen is a nice touch, although it can be tricked by shadows from moving in front of the overhead light.

Power draw: using iBatt 2, I recall my MacBook using 15-20 W of power on a normal basis. iBatt 2 is reporting about 10 W of power draw on my Air. I saw about 15 W when running WinXP/Parallels.

Size and weight: This thing is STUPID THIN! I knew it was thin, but it's thinner than my nice leather notepad portfolio. The notebook sleeve in my backpack that I used for a 12" iBook G4 and later a 13" MB is almost two big for the Air.

Hi-powered USB: I have an external 2.5" drive enclosure that has a USB Y-cable for drawing power for two normal USB ports. The high-powered USB port was sufficient to power the drive with only the data plug and so the drive serves as my Time Machine drive.

MagSafe Connector: the notebook end is MUCH more substantial than the MacBook MagSafe used to be. It has a solid extra rubber sleeve taking the strain between the wire and connector, which looks like it will last MUCH longer than the old MacBook MagSafe.

I think the design feature that astonishes me the most, aside from the size and weight, is the way that the iSight LED and sleep LED shine through the aluminum housing. The tiny, tiny holes in the case that pass the light are so small that they blend into the case finish when the lights are off and are thus nearly invisible, but let the light shine brightly when lit.

Overall, I'm impressed. My 2.66 GHz iMac will be the heavy hitter for most of my daily needs, but the Air is definitely a portable hit.

Just thought I'd share my Air impressions...

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2009, 09:27 AM

You have my dream setup there, i'm thinking my next Mac purchase will be an iMac 20".

Then in a few years i'll upgrade to whatever Air model is available as really I wouldn't need a laptop for much after I had an iMac.

Congrats.

I also think the Air is a fantastic model for anyone who uses a desktop as their main computer.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Michael Jolly
Feb 1, 2009, 09:46 AM

The Air is a damn fine bit of kit, mine is used a a glorified netbook and notebook and my imac is my main machine its so fun
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

Koralatov
Senior User
Feb 2, 2009, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
It's an older unit, with the 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 80 GB PATA drive, and 2 GB RAM.
My girlfriend has the same model of Air, and I am really, really impressed with it. All the little details (like the iSight LED, as you mentioned) really demonstrate that it is a premium model, and that no expense was spared in the design of it. The MagSafe is a vast improvement over the one that came with my MBP: it’s stronger, and also I prefer the shape. It makes cable-management easier than having the power cord sticking out at a 90° angle to the main body of the laptop. I also love the solidity of the thing — it feels much, much more robust that my MacBook Pro does, likely due to it being unibody.

I haven’t used it extensively, but from what I’ve seen, the performance is not what I was led to expect. A lot of pieces I read on the web led me to believe it would be relatively anæmic in this regard, but it turned out not the be the case at all; as long as you’re not doing any heavy-lifting, it runs like a dream. The only program I’ve used on it that drags ass is Office ’08, but that drags ass on my MBP, so I don’t think the Air can be blamed for that.

frdmfghtr  (op)
Senior User
Feb 2, 2009, 10:06 PM

Well, it is "relatively anemic" if you compare it to current MacBooks/MBPs. But again, that's not what it is designed for; portability is the name of the game here. Need power, I/O ports, easy expandabiliy? This is not your target machine. Although, I have to admit, I'm tempted to install World of Warcraft and see how that works.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Jolly View Post
The Air is a damn fine bit of kit, mine is used a a glorified netbook and notebook and my imac is my main machine its so fun
OMG, you called the Air a netbook... I'm loving mine. Had it for a year now.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2009, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
My girlfriend has the same model of Air, and I am really, really impressed with it. All the little details (like the iSight LED, as you mentioned) really demonstrate that it is a premium model, and that no expense was spared in the design of it. The MagSafe is a vast improvement over the one that came with my MBP: it’s stronger, and also I prefer the shape. It makes cable-management easier than having the power cord sticking out at a 90° angle to the main body of the laptop. I also love the solidity of the thing — it feels much, much more robust that my MacBook Pro does, likely due to it being unibody.

I haven’t used it extensively, but from what I’ve seen, the performance is not what I was led to expect. A lot of pieces I read on the web led me to believe it would be relatively anæmic in this regard, but it turned out not the be the case at all; as long as you’re not doing any heavy-lifting, it runs like a dream. The only program I’ve used on it that drags ass is Office ’08, but that drags ass on my MBP, so I don’t think the Air can be blamed for that.
Plus the led screen is awesome. Probably one of the best on the market, and it blows away the pile of crap Dell laptop that I have. Actually, the Dell isn't that bad. Just the screen comes nowhere close the Air. Plus my Dell is seriously infected with a huge virus. It's called Vista and I can't afford to get rid of it.

Michael Jolly
Feb 3, 2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
OMG, you called the Air a netbook... I'm loving mine. Had it for a year now.
Well to be honest it is kinda replacing my EEE PC as well as my old Macbook so it kinda is lol
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

Andy8
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2009, 02:03 PM

Also a happy MBA user here, no complaints.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2009, 03:16 PM

I'm confuzzled here. How are we all using the Macbook Air without a firewire port? I thought that crippled the bloody thing???!!! air pundits

Michael Jolly
Feb 3, 2009, 03:35 PM

to be truthful i can't remember the last time i used firewire

Apple addict Since 2004

Andy8
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Jolly View Post
to be truthful i can't remember the last time i used firewire
Exactly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules