Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > modem help

modem help
goldseal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 01:52 PM

ello

I have a old beige g3 and a external modem im not sure of the make just says macsurfer 56k voice modem v.90. ive been trying to connect using aol ,but when it does its search for a connection device it says the modem port is already in use close all applications that could b using it i got no idea what its on about and if i manage to get it to dial out i get the line busy tone. ive asked the aol tech guys but well they was no help so if anyone has any ideas id b greatfull.

os 8.1

thnxs

Ra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by goldseal:
ello

I have a old beige g3 and a external modem im not sure of the make just says macsurfer 56k voice modem v.90. ive been trying to connect using aol ,but when it does its search for a connection device it says the modem port is already in use close all applications that could b using it i got no idea what its on about and if i manage to get it to dial out i get the line busy tone. ive asked the aol tech guys but well they was no help so if anyone has any ideas id b greatfull.

os 8.1
thnxs
It is possible that you have changed the modem port with AppleTalk? Go to the "Chooser" and see if AppleTalk is active or not. You should be able to switch ports with this application, but you won't notice the change until you restart the computer.

Since I don't need AppleTalk, I just leave it "inactive." However, it needs to be "active" when using some printers. For example, some Apple laser printers (older ones) require the use of AppleTalk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules