Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Library/Recipts folder and its contents.

Library/Recipts folder and its contents.
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 02:05 PM

I now have 65 mb in this folder, and was wondering if these files served any use besides the OS or applications keeping track of what-all updates had been applied, and what will be the repercussions of throwing any/all of these receipts away? I can see it perhaps being a problem with Apple's Software Update feature, but what about 3rd party receipts, such as printer driver packages and such?

Or should I just leave it the hell alone?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 02:07 PM

Basically, that folder is used when you repair permissions. If you remove apps that may have installed a receipt, you can remove that with no problems.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Basically, that folder is used when you repair permissions. If you remove apps that may have installed a receipt, you can remove that with no problems.
i.e. if you delete the receipts, you can no longer repair permissions w/r to that given receipt.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2005, 10:56 AM

So, although I'm on 10.3.8, I should keep the 10.3.1-10.3.7 reciepts, or can they go away, now? I'm on an anti-clutter crusade.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
So, although I'm on 10.3.8, I should keep the 10.3.1-10.3.7 reciepts, or can they go away, now? I'm on an anti-clutter crusade.
Leave them there. If you need the space that bad, you need a new hard drive. If you had done a 10.3.8 combo update, I would think you could delete 10.3.1 through 10.3.7, but otherwise, there are changes that would have been in one update, but not in the other.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2005, 11:53 AM

I'm trying to educate myself about what's trash and what's not. Thanks!

I don't need space all that bad-- I just hate it when I find 2 or 3 GB of suff that's useless. I've looked elsewhere today, and gained a lot of drive space back-- 80 + MB of Log files, and since the OS 9 system that I'd cloned from my Cube originally was meant for booting, (now on a G5, so no OS 9 booting any more) I rooted throught the System Folder, and my Classic apps and found another gig or so worth of crud. (Including 50 MB of Explorer cache! Duh!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules