Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Quark: replace picture?

Quark: replace picture?
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 01:19 PM

Quark 5/6 upgrade (Thanks, guys!) doesn't even ship with a PDF manual, and the half-assed help viewer is of no use here. Can you replace a picture in quark and retain the scaling/positioning of the orig. picture?

I have an img scaled to 95%, and off zero axis by a few 10ths of an inch. I can replace it five times on five pages, and manually transcribe and re-enter all the placement/scaling info in the measurements palette, but you know, if this were Illustrator, I could click the "replace picture" button on the Links Palette, ant it would retain all the placement/scaling info of the original.

Can this be done in Quark? Or should I pull my own head off now?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

betoranaldi
Mar 30, 2005, 03:52 PM

you can do this through the usage window (I belive its tools > usage and then click the pictures tab)

although I do not have quark in front of me, I think you can click the image in the list, and then hit a replace button, although this will replace all instances of the image not a specific one.

Hope this helps and is what you were looking for.

-Brian

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 05:05 PM

utilities > usage > pictures > highlight the image in the list > update

betoranaldi
Mar 30, 2005, 05:12 PM

Thanks art_director I thought that I had the wrong menu item

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 06:11 PM

you essentially had it right from your memory. good job.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 06:49 PM

I tried this. If the img has been modified, I get the update.. button, and when clicked it doesn't present me with an open/save dialog-- it just updates the picture I've got highlited. If all the imgs in the file are presented as ok, then the update... button is greyed out.

I don't want to update the same image-- I want to replace it with another, without having to do a Place... and start over.

If I delete or move the original image, will it ask me to find it?

<rant> THIS IS A SIMPLE MOUSE CLICK IN INDESIGN AND ILLUSTRATOR

</rant> sorry

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

betoranaldi
Mar 30, 2005, 07:36 PM

i was away from quark and thought i remember there being a replace button, obviouly i was wrong.

the not so fun way could be making the image "missing" change the directory that the image is currently in. then in the usage window it will say find, you can then point to a new image.

hope this helps.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by betoranaldi:
i was away from quark and thought i remember there being a replace button, obviouly i was wrong.

the not so fun way could be making the image "missing" change the directory that the image is currently in. then in the usage window it will say find, you can then point to a new image.

hope this helps.
There is a "replace" button in the font pane of the Usage... dialog.

That's probably a viable workaround. Certainly easier that re-entering postion, scaling and rotation by hand 5 times. (same img on 5 pages) Still, there's no Quark command for replace picture? Having to delete/move the old one so it goes "missing" is pretty inelegant for a Version 6, 12 Y.O. application.

Another question-- is there any way to constrain the proportions for image scaling, so that you don't have to enter the same number twice in the x & y boxes?

betoranaldi
Mar 30, 2005, 09:53 PM

looking in my quick start visual guide book (quark 5) i cannot find any type of way to replace an image

Quark is stupid

as for your constrain proportions issue i dont no if this will help but its worth a try.

you have a picture box that has a pictrure in it, if you type command-option-shift-f it will fill the picture box while maintaining proptions of the image

hopefully this is what you are looking for

all of this just give me even more reason to convert to InDesign over the next couple months

andi*pandi
Mar 31, 2005, 03:07 PM

I would rename the old one, or move it, and when it's looking for the old one, point it to the new one. A hack, an old hack, but a hack that still works.

Not going to rib you about indesign.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
I would rename the old one, or move it, and when it's looking for the old one, point it to the new one. A hack, an old hack, but a hack that still works.

Not going to rib you about indesign.
Please don't -- this has been painful enough. Believe me, the second thing I tried was opening the file in InDesign, but ID doesn't do Quark 6, yet. The hack works, but it's too bad that you've got to resort to such things.

I do like the fit content to box/ box to content commands, though. Those ARE handy.

Oh, and here's some potentially good news: Quark has released a PSD Import Xtension that appears (at first blush) to handle spot channels,and multi-channel files. I'm attempting to print one as we speak. Could this be the long-awaited death of the dreaded DCS 2.0?? Cross your fingers and hold your tongue like this...

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 04:45 PM

I AM PRINTING SPOT CHANNELS FROM A MULTICHANNEL PSD IN QUARK!111!!!1ONE

HALLE-F*CKING-LUJA!1!11!!!!

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
I AM PRINTING SPOT CHANNELS FROM A MULTICHANNEL PSD IN QUARK!111!!!1ONE

HALLE-F*CKING-LUJA!1!11!!!!

Just wait until Quack supresses output of your fonts with that native PSD plugin. It's not anything close to being what it's billed as. I ditched it about a week after it was released for this very reason.

Quack is a miserable application � this coming from someone who's used it for over fifteen years.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 05:05 PM

I can always make text in illustrator and save it as EPS. I just hate trying to line up DCS 2.0s with their crap previews.

Believe you me, it would be cheaper in a lot of cases to just buy my clients InDesign than to struggle with quark.

Edit-- is this font problem from merely having it installed, or just files that actually use PSDs?
( Last edited by chris v; Mar 31, 2005 at 05:10 PM. )

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Edit-- is this font problem from merely having it installed, or just files that actually use PSDs?

I created a presentation ( lots of ads, posters, ooh boards, story boards, etc. ) only to find that the PSD images I used in QX v.6 suppressed the fonts. The workaround was to make PDFs of the presentation for output to meet my dealine. That cost me a night of sleep.

In my post mordem troubleshooting I determined that replacing the native PSD images in my QX documents allowed the fonts to print properly. The funny thing is that in some instances the same face was used for the headline and copy. The headline would print but the copy would not and vice versa.

Bigeffingpainintheneck, that's what QX is.

andi*pandi
Mar 31, 2005, 05:46 PM

It's amazing that with all the hacks designers have done to get multi-spot output from PSD (multi-layers of greyscale, save each layer as a tif, tag in layout... etc) that adobe et al haven't figured out this is something we'd like.

art_director
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 08:20 AM

Isn't it tough?

Forum Links
Forum Rules