Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 2.0 File> Save As... doesn't work.

Safari 2.0 File> Save As... doesn't work.
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 07:43 AM

With mpg movies, and mp3s, when I used to load them in a browser window with Safari 1.3, once the file was done loading, I could proceed to save it to disk using file> save as... Now all I get is a little 4k file that won't play. Why?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 12:56 PM

So, everyone else is able to save media files in Safari? I've got the same prob on 2 different machines.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

bseely
Jul 25, 2005, 02:21 PM

if it's a quicktime movie you're trying to save, are you sure you're not just saving a reference movie? there should be an option somewhere to change that.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 03:14 PM

I get the same thing with mp3 files. The Finder shows it as an .mp3 file, shows the correct length in time, and it has the playbar in the preview pane, but the file is 4k.

allblue
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 03:22 PM

I posted exactly this question re Safari 1.3 yesterday, but no-one has responded yet! I have found a workaround, namely when I want to download an mpg or MP3 (or even God forbid wmv) file I open Camino (v 0.84), go to the same page and use "Save as" to get the full playable file in my downloads folder. I just don't understand what's wrong with Safari here...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2005, 10:05 PM

Control click on the files and "save as". It should work unless the file is coded to block any downloads. Apple S, in Tiger, saves the web page for offline viewing.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Control click on the files and "save as". It should work unless the file is coded to block any downloads. Apple S, in Tiger, saves the web page for offline viewing.
So this is an intentional behavioral switch on Apple's part? I find this annoying. If I'm searching,say a band's website,and they offer up some mp3s, I'll click the link, which loads the mp3 in a browser window, with the QT playbar thingie. If I like the song, I hit command+s to save it. Now, I've got to go back a page, and control+click the link. Why does save as... present me with the option of saving the mp3, and give me something that looks like one in my Downloads folder, if it's not really saving it? I had five or six 4k "songs" on my desktop the other day before I realized none of them would play.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 09:30 AM

You can option click on the link for a direct download or control click and do a "Save as" or "download link" in Tiger.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules