Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mac Book Pro memory glitch?

Mac Book Pro memory glitch?
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 07:11 PM

The first time I saw a Mac Book Pro was at the Apple store, here in Austin about 10 days ago. I gave it a whirl, but after noticing the thing just didn't seem like what I'd call fast, I took a look in /var/vm and noticed there were 6 swapfiles, so the lag was most likely it paging out/in. I checked o see what was running, and after I quit Garage Band, nothing was open but Safari & the Finder. I launched Activity Monitor, and noticed well over 500 MB of RAM 'active.' When I sorted by 'real memory,' the Window Server floated to the top, with 475 MB of RAM. I thought "huh." (I know, I'm a deep thinker, right?) Actually, my first thought as that maybe this is just the way it goes with the Intel hardware, so I went to an Intel iMac across the room & checked it -- no problems, there. The Window Server was soaking about 40 MB of RAM, which is about par for the course, from past experience.

I was back in the store today, and noticed the same thing with two different Mac Book Pros. The Window Server was using upwards of 500 MB of RAM on both, with nothing running but the Finder, and more than 600 MB of RAM listed as 'active.'

Seems like if it was an Intel-wide problem, it'd be happening with the iMacs, too, but no. I doubt it's Rosetta, as there was NOTHING running on any of these machines except for the Finder, and maybe Safari.

Any similar experiences here? I'm curious if it's maybe just a problem with the disk image they use to re-image the machines at the store, or if this is a product-wide symptom.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ibook_steve
Apr 5, 2006, 07:20 PM

How about simply rebooting the machines? Who knows what somebody may have been running before you came in.

Steve

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 08:35 PM

yes, i always reboot the machines here in austin...too many people that try crazy stuff on the display models...

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2006, 12:18 AM

I'm sure rebooting would clear it out temporarily, but that's really not the point of the post. I have NEVER seen a machine with the Window Server hogging 500 megs of RAM. I checked a G5 and an Intel iMac at the same store today, and they were at 24 & 40 meg, respectively. None of my machines run any differently, and we beat on them and leave 'em up 24/7. sometimes for months at a stretch.

All four Mac Book Pros I've looked at had this gong on. On different occasions, too. Seems weird.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules