Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12 Macbook

12 Macbook
Ham Sandwich
Jun 1, 2017, 02:50 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:38 AM. )

P
Jun 1, 2017, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Does the 512 GB hard drive actually have a faster hard drive than the 256 GB hard drive, all other things being equal? Or are both hard drives equally fast?
The bigger one is faster, at least on sequential writes. It might be slightly faster on sequential reads as well, but the difference is too small to say clearly. Note that even the slower drive is very very fast - faster than the vast majority of SSDs on the market.

Is there really much difference with watching/editing 1080p60 video between the 1.1 GHz and 1.2 GHz models?
Probably not.

Also, does using a faster CPU mean less battery life?
Eh. If you're doing the same workload, the no - you will have slightly more power left because the screen was on for a shorter time. If you work for the same amount of time, then yes you will have slightly less battery left. I honestly don't think that the difference is large enough to matter.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 2, 2017, 09:45 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:39 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jun 2, 2017, 12:05 PM

Marginally less - the RAM doesn't take much power. You probably won't notice the battery lasts one minute less. Future OS releases tend to be happy with more RAM, so a 16 option would be well worth losing a minute of battery.

P
Jun 3, 2017, 03:45 PM

You may have noticed that Apple got some flak for not having a 32GB RAM option on the new MBPs. The reason for that is they're using LP-DDR3, and that memory type is not available in the sizes Apple would need. Why do they use LP-DDR3? For exactly this reason - it uses even less power. RAM uses power at all times, even at standby, so Apple goes to some lengths to reduce that power usage.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules