Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod Firmware 2.1 observations

iPod Firmware 2.1 observations
fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2003, 04:19 PM

morning all,

just updated my gen. 3 ipod to firmware version 2.1 and have noticed a couple of things;

- long lists of albums now load instantly, previously there was a slight delay between selecting 'album' and the appearence of the titles. nice !

- the battery power bar is now a solid, gone are the four bars. hopefully this will result in more accurate reporting.

- didn't notice any change with the contrast as others have reported.

- the new 'music quiz' game is pretty cool, it starts playing a track off your ipod and has a list of titles. you have to identify the playing track and select the title. not bad.

all in all, a nice little update from apple.

ae77
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 04:50 PM

i, too, love the new battery indicator and the music quiz!
^_^

boardsurfer
Oct 16, 2003, 08:23 PM

my music quiz doesnt work. when I click it, it says no songs selected. How do I select songs?

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by ae77:
i, too, love the new battery indicator and the music quiz!
Describe the Music Quiz for us sad people at work or uni.

bkatran
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 09:51 PM

it takes random songs from your libary and plays it..you have to select the song before the clock runs out...for points

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2003, 09:36 AM

Anyone else find that the music quiz keeps picking the same songs all the time ? Insanely easy !

Oh - and check your 'shuffle' setting. The Music Quiz seems to honour that, so if you have 'albums' selected, it seems to just play songs off the same album.

...actually, maybe I need to turn off 'shuffle' altogether to cure the problem above.

mishap
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Anyone else find that the music quiz keeps picking the same songs all the time ? Insanely easy !
I only played twice and i noticed 5 or so out of 15 were the same on both tries. but, that was only two tries...but still...strange.

my shuffle is set to "songs"

cowicide
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 12:26 PM

iPod 2.1 & iTunes 4.1 updates:

Has anyone had any trouble with these new updates? Has it hosed anyone's iPod?

I look forward to finally syncing my iPod's "On-The-Go" playlists with iTunes and potential performance increases, but I fear this update might do things comparable to what I've seen lately with other Apple updates.

For instance, I worry it might drastically shorten the life or even fry the non-replaceable iPod battery like similiar situations with other alpha...uh, I mean beta... (cough) I mean, gold master Apple update releases and unreleases, etc.

Is it safe? Have you guys been measureing your battery life since this update.

Here's the only "trouble" I've seen so far (aside from the small issue of the song game repeating songs too much here)... PodWorks_2.5 has to release fixes for incompatibility problems experienced by some people using the new 2.1 iPod firmware. What those specific problems were, I don't know.
_________

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by cowicide:

iPod 2.1 & iTunes 4.1 updates:

Has anyone had any trouble with these new updates? Has it hosed anyone's iPod?

I look forward to finally syncing my iPod's "On-The-Go" playlists with iTunes and potential performance increases, but I fear this update might do things comparable to what I've seen lately with other Apple updates.

For instance, I worry it might drastically shorten the life or even fry the non-replaceable iPod battery like similiar situations with other alpha...uh, I mean beta... (cough) I mean, gold master Apple update releases and unreleases, etc.

Is it safe? Have you guys been measureing your battery life since this update.

Here's the only "trouble" I've seen so far (aside from the small issue of the song game repeating songs too much here)... PodWorks_2.5 has to release fixes for incompatibility problems experienced by some people using the new 2.1 iPod firmware. What those specific problems were, I don't know.
_________
The update worked great for me. It dramatically sped up my artist listing. Before the update, it would take a few seconds to list all the artists (I have a lot of music). Now it's instant. And I had issues with contrast before, and now they are gone. I haven't noticed any oddities with battery life.

Overall, this was a great update. Lots of great stuff fixed and a few new cool things!

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 03:33 PM

It seems that the larger iPods that are nearly full are seeing a big performance boost. I have a 40GB model, with 3.1 GB free, 7012 songs on it. Before it took a moment when I selected Browse>Artists, or Browse>Songs etc... I always figured it took a second to spin up the drive and read the titles into memory. Now everything pops up nearly instantly. I'm very happy with the update.

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2003, 08:16 PM

Holy Cow Batman! I was just using my iPod after purchasing a new CD and updating it to my iPod, when something very peculiar happened.....

My screen scrolled up and down, not side to side.

When I clicked on Browse Artists, the whole screen moved up and the Artists list came up from below! I didnt notice it until I selected my artist - and i thought wow, how didnt I notice that before!! So I went back, and I can;t remember if the screen went up again or back down but it went vertical not horizontal. So then I tried again on playlists and it was normal, maybe it's browse only? Nope. It hasnt happened again....strange.

cowicide
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2003, 01:55 AM

Hopefully this screen flicker thing is just with a few users and isn't a big 10.2.8 recall type thing.

I may actually use this update... maybe...

gheff
Oct 20, 2003, 07:46 AM

I haven't been reading the forums the last few days so I may have missed this, but has anyone else noticed that the battery indicator lags a little bit? I mean that after a full evening of charging I will unplug the iPod and the indicator will not read full. But after a minute or so of use, the indicator will creep up toward full. Sorta like a gas gauge on some cars that creeps up after a fill-up.

I first noticed this after I got on the road for a 6 hour trip and the indicator was reading way less than half. I was pissed, thinking it hadn't charged at all, until I checked it later and it was reading more like what I'd expect.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by gheff:
I haven't been reading the forums the last few days so I may have missed this, but has anyone else noticed that the battery indicator lags a little bit? I mean that after a full evening of charging I will unplug the iPod and the indicator will not read full. But after a minute or so of use, the indicator will creep up toward full. Sorta like a gas gauge on some cars that creeps up after a fill-up.

I first noticed this after I got on the road for a 6 hour trip and the indicator was reading way less than half. I was pissed, thinking it hadn't charged at all, until I checked it later and it was reading more like what I'd expect.
Yep, had the same exact thing happen after charging. Thought the battery meter was messed up, but it creeped up to full.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2003, 04:25 PM

Yes, I noticed the same thing. The meter takes a minute or two to get to full capacity. Seems like a bug to me, although a relatively harmless one. I seem to be getting quite good battery life after the update, although I haven't really measured it. Anyone notice any differences?

Forum Links
Forum Rules