Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Lexmark Is Missing The Point

Lexmark Is Missing The Point
RWT_Gary
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2007, 09:36 PM

I recently purchased an awesome inkjet printer for the house. It is a model X6570 by Lexmark. It really is a cool printer. It has a wireless card and antenna built into the printer. It comes with drives for all the different versions of Windows like most Lexmark printers do, but the reason that I decided on this printer was because it came with native drivers for OS X.

Under Tiger (OS X 10.4.X) the printer / scanner/ fax/ copier works like a real champ. Scan, fax, or copy multiple pages, print in black & white or color, all from across the room worked as expected. But when Apple released Leopard, that shiny, sleek, feline I was very disappointed to find that the OS X drivers do not work under Leopard.

When I contacted Lexmark support about when I could expect to see driver support for Leopard they simply responded with "Currently we have no plans to include driver support for OS X 10.5). "No Plans", You have got to be kidding me! Apples market-share is rising and Leopard sold 2 million copies on its opening weekend.

I normally do not sign petitions and have never asked others to sign petitions but I am going to make an exception this time by asking you to take a minute to sign a petition that I will be sending to Lexmark trying to get them to update their drivers for Leopard.

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETION TO GET LEXMARK TO UPDATE THEIR DRIVERS TO SUPPORT LEOPARD

I have no idea if this will do any good or not but I believe that if we could get a few hundred folks to sign this petition then it would be enough to at least get Lexmark to re-think their policy towards Leopard.

NOTE: It doesn't matter if you have this printer or any Lexmark printer the more names we get the better clout we have
We create custom themes for RapidWeaver
RapidWeaverThemes

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 09:43 PM

Return the printer.

RWT_Gary  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Return the printer.
That is an overtly obvious solution, however the point is that none of Lexmarks current offerings that include wireless have Leopard support. And their pompous attitude is what gripes me more than anything.

Returning the printer and exchanging it for say an HP or Cannon or Epson is more than likely what I will do this weekend, but I would still like to give Lexmark a "sour grape".
We create custom themes for RapidWeaver
RapidWeaverThemes

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2007, 09:36 AM

The only "sour grape" they care about is $$$.

Vote with your dollar... And don't fool yourself into thinking you have ANY clout because of an online petition.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Mac4Decade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2007, 08:20 PM

Why won't it work in 10.5 exactly?

TiBook G4, MacBook Pro 1.83 Intel Core Duo

threestain
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 07:46 AM

Does anyone else have problems installing Z1480 drivers on 10.4.10? Install program just won't finish at all... so chuffing annoying.

audiophilia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2007, 07:57 PM

Here, too! So pissed! My HP via Bonjour, no problems. The Lexmark's going back to Best Buy....
www.audiophilia.com
The Online Journal for the Serious Audiophile

www.e46toronto.ca
Canada's premier BMW forum

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2007, 05:44 PM

Buy a Canon. Excellent Mac support.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2007, 08:38 PM

I've noticed this similar behavior since Mac OS X came out. Every major upgrade (short of 10.1, I think) has always caused printer issues. I've noticed that printer manufacturers offering "native" drivers tend to have problems with getting compatibility out when the new OS is released. At one time, HP had a very bad track record of releasing drivers, where it took well over 8 months.

I normally check for compatibility list first, knowing that as a worst case scenario I'm not out of luck. This only covers printing, though, so it won't solve the problem of All-in-One machines where you want the rest of the functionality as well.

Aside from Canon, I've been remarkably surprised with Brother, who not only made Leopard-compatible drivers the day Mac OS 10.5 was released, but they actually provide support for Linux, too (a plus in my book). It doesn't have the best UI, but at least it works well.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2007, 05:09 PM

I've now spent about 5 hours trying to get a Lexmark 1420 to work with 10.5. I've been talking to Lexmark support, I've been trying every trick in the book - nothing works. This is an absolute joke and the last time I will have bought anything Lexmark.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 08:06 PM

Have you tried GutenPrint or searched for CUPS drivers?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2007, 11:05 PM

Lexmark, as far as I can see, really only cares about the Windows market. For Mac support, go Canon, Brother, or current model HP. Certain Epson's have good Mac support, but I'm personally not to fond of Epson.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2007, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma View Post
I've noticed this similar behavior since Mac OS X came out. Every major upgrade (short of 10.1, I think) has always caused printer issues.
It really shouldn't have been that way - OS X has a clean driver architecture. And it definitely doesn't make sense for printer drivers to continue to break going from Tiger to Leopard.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2007, 06:09 AM

Epson has failed me for the last time!!!
I find that they "Epson" have not given enough support for even their old printer's 1 to 2 years old shows that the updates themselves are more then 2y's of now? So when scanning a doc' it can take up to 10 try's.

They show that Tiger is supported but it's not the case to many bug's across the control & interface,
I just wish we could control any printer direct from any Leopard app such has iWork, iPhoto, Preview & Safari, yes you can print direct from them but it doesn't always control them directly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules