Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Old TiBook... looking to upgrade...

Old TiBook... looking to upgrade...
threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2009, 07:14 PM

I've got an old TiBook 1GHz G4 (6.5 years and going strong) and am looking to upgrade. I'm sure all of the new ones will be breathtakingly quick, but is it worth getting a macbook pro over a macbook for research publications (lengthy word files, with images and large endnote libraries), music, BBC iplayer (which kills it right now), plus the usual geeky fiddling etc? I'm thinking not, and I'm not sure what the pro really adds.

Secondly I'll try and keep the old girl running, but is there a way to keep the two in sync somehow?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2009, 07:19 PM

In terms of raw performance the MB and low-end 13" MBP are very similar. Compared to your old Ti, a new MB will be a whole different experience anyway. However, the MB is likely to see an update soonish so you might want to consider holding off on it right now.

OreoCookie
Sep 22, 2009, 08:08 PM

Any new Mac will be a huge improvement. Since you are content with such a machine and you haven't mentioned any special needs, both, the 13" MacBook Pro and the low-en 15" MacBook Pro will be well-suited for your needs. You can make this decision in terms of screen size. The 13" ProBook is very portable, it weighs less than the 12" PowerBook.

I wouldn't recommend the MacBook, not because it doesn't suit your needs, but because it will likely be replaced soon.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

threestain  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2009, 08:54 AM

it looks like I'll be going for the 13" probook when I get around to it.

thing is though, for them to update the macbook, they surely have to update the rest of the portable line up too, or else = no difference between pro and consumer lines?

OreoCookie
Sep 23, 2009, 09:03 AM

Well, I suppose that Apple tries to differentiate in terms of cpu speed: the fastest MacBook has a 2.13 GHz processor, the slowest ProBook cpu is clocked at 2.53 GHz. The fastest 3.06 GHz cpu is only offered in the 17" model, though.

Also, the ProBook's current gpu is much faster than that of the MacBook -- which may make a difference in the future (the latest version of OS X allows developers to use the GPU to make computations).

threestain  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2009, 12:07 PM

having had a look at the specs though the difference between the macbook and macbook pro at 13" is minor:

MB v MBP
2.13 GHz v 2.26 GHz
Same GPU
800 MHz DDR2 RAM v 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM
Less ports v More ports
No LED backlight v LED backlight

Seems awfully narrow differentiation currently. Even less so if the MB is upgraded and the Pro isn't

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Also, the ProBook's current gpu is much faster than that of the MacBook -- which may make a difference in the future (the latest version of OS X allows developers to use the GPU to make computations).
I think you're mixing things up there, Oreo. The X3100 is gone thank goodness. The MB and 13" MBP share the same 9400M. In fact, even the low-end 15" comes with it. You have to look at the better 15" models and the 17" for the 9600M.

The differences between the MB and low-end 13" MBP are mainly RAM limit, ports, case design, and screen. 0.13 GHz and DDR3 don't change much. The raw performance is very similar.

OreoCookie
Sep 23, 2009, 05:14 PM

I see, so they didn't just bump the cpu speed by a teeny bit, they also upgraded the gpu. The power of the 9400M, however, can be harnessed to my knowledge.

Are the screens identical?

ibook_steve
Sep 23, 2009, 05:37 PM

You can actually get the 3.06 GHz in the 15" when you customize.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2009, 05:42 PM

I think its nice you kept your tibook going for so long. I miss mine, and although I definitely needed to upgrade for work reasons, I wish I had kept it rather than trade it it for a measly 3000 yen!
ππ>_<ππ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I see, so they didn't just bump the cpu speed by a teeny bit, they also upgraded the gpu.
Yeah, but that was back in January.

The power of the 9400M, however, can be harnessed to my knowledge.
Sure thing. OpenCL/GCD can put that 9400M to good use.

Are the screens identical?
No. LED backlight on the MBP vs. CCFL on the MB.

threestain  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2009, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by yugyug View Post
I think its nice you kept your tibook going for so long. I miss mine, and although I definitely needed to upgrade for work reasons, I wish I had kept it rather than trade it it for a measly 3000 yen!
Kept going through sheer need, force of will and lack of money.

Also however, it still does all I need to, just sometimes (read often) infuriatingly slowly!

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2009, 01:27 AM

Is it just my impression or are the latest MBP's quite cool?

I remember, a few years back, there was always that hot spot on the left, where the hard drive was.

Did that improve so much, or did I just come across MBPs that had been asleep all day and woke up just for me

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2009, 09:49 AM

The UB MBPs definitely run cooler (to touch) than the previous non-UB MBPs.

threestain  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2009, 04:26 PM

as a side point...

how do you sync 2 macs together?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by threestain View Post
how do you sync 2 macs together?
When you get the new Mac and set it up Migration Assistant will ask you if you want to migrate from a previous Mac. You select which parts (accounts, apps, docs, prefs, etc.) and MA does it.

threestain  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2009, 07:37 AM

cool thanks.

I just ordered a 13" MBP for myself and one for my sister (thank god for the 14% EDU discount!). Actively the first time that I've ever found it CHEAPER to get Apple RAM! (4 Gb installed £69, 4 Gb from Crucial £65!). Though obviously could have sold the RAM afterward...

Now 2 questions - I'm going to keep both my macs going, so suggestions to keep them in sync - ? chronosync ?

Second I need to migrate her from a crappy windows laptop to her new shiny macbook pro. It's been 7 years since I even thought of this! How other than external HDD or DVDs?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2009, 08:01 PM

Belkin : PC-To-Mac Transfer Kit
Well worth the price, IMO.

threestain  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2009, 05:15 AM

the new mac is awesome. Took a while to migrate but now, perfect. Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm going to repost elsewhere about syncing. Cheers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules