Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > U.S. says exercise by Israel seemed directed at Iran

U.S. says exercise by Israel seemed directed at Iran
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 01:02 PM

I looks like Israel is try to send Iran( and the US) a message that it will act if diplomacy fails.

Full article: U.S. says exercise by Israel seemed directed at Iran - International Herald Tribune

By Michael R. Gordon and Eric Schmitt
Published: June 20, 2008
WASHINGTON: Israel carried out a major military exercise earlier this month that American officials say appeared to be a rehearsal for a potential bombing attack on Iran's nuclear facilities.

Several American officials said the Israeli exercise appeared to be an effort to develop the military's capacity to carry out long-range strikes and to demonstrate the seriousness with which Israel views Iran's nuclear program.

More than 100 Israeli F-16 and F-15 fighters participated in the maneuvers, which were carried out over the eastern Mediterranean and over Greece during the first week of June, American officials said.

The exercise also included Israeli helicopters that could be used to rescue downed pilots. The helicopters and refueling tankers flew more than 900 miles, which is about the same distance between Israel and Iran's uranium enrichment plant at Natanz, American officials said.
45/47

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I looks like Israel is try to send Iran( and the US) a message that it will act if diplomacy fails.
And maybe get a little practice in at the same time.

I think some planes should go into Iran ala Israel v. Syria (jam signals, stealth perhaps) and drop a gazillion leaflets that state "Folks, we just wanted to let you know haw darn easy it is to fly over your heads. See you soon."

I think that would freak out Iran more than these exercises.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2008, 10:15 PM

This is a miserable situation. Iran seems to be a bit out of control and it would be a bad thing for them to have nuclear weapons. However, military intervention would be a total disaster. There is no good answer.

So I'm not particularly insightful- nor did I add anything to the conversation, but the whole thing scares me and I just wanted to say that.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
This is a miserable situation. Iran seems to be a bit out of control and it would be a bad thing for them to have nuclear weapons. However, military intervention would be a total disaster. There is no good answer.

So I'm not particularly insightful- nor did I add anything to the conversation, but the whole thing scares me and I just wanted to say that.
Especially when MA wants to usher in the Mahdi.
45/47

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2008, 12:20 AM

It's about time Israel shook off their leash.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Atomic Rooster
Jun 23, 2008, 12:13 AM

See, I guess Mel Gibson wasn't so crazy after all.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 03:16 PM

As long as another country takes the heat (and pays the bill) for a strike against Iran. Of course, since people view Israel and the U.S. as basically the same country I'm not so sure about that come to think of it.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 01:47 PM

It's really heating up now, threats have become a lot more 'realistic', such as blocking off supply routes from the Arabian Gulf, rising oil prices etc.

I'm curious..... what has Israel EVER done to Iran to warrant threats of this kind ('wipe off the map', etc,etc). I know Israel's neighbors just want all the land they can get their hands on or under muslim rule, but where and why does Iran come into the conflict ? is it a muslims vs everyone-else sort of thing ?

If the current rate of progression of events continue, i wouldn't be surprised if there's a major showdown in the next 6-12 months. I'm sure the IDF can take on Iran's forces with no problem, the only wild cards now are the supply routes and oil prices.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 2, 2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
is it a muslims vs everyone-else sort of thing ?
Yep. That's what it's always been, from day one. And that's what it'll always be, until one side is eliminated.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Doof View Post
Yep. That's what it's always been, from day one. And that's what it'll always be, until one side is eliminated.
..and that's just the moderate muslims!

“Building Better Worlds”

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2008, 06:47 PM

Go Israel

-t

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
It's really heating up now, threats have become a lot more 'realistic', such as blocking off supply routes from the Arabian Gulf, rising oil prices etc.

I'm curious..... what has Israel EVER done to Iran to warrant threats of this kind ('wipe off the map', etc,etc). I know Israel's neighbors just want all the land they can get their hands on or under Muslim rule, but where and why does Iran come into the conflict ? is it a Muslims vs everyone-else sort of thing ?

If the current rate of progression of events continue, i wouldn't be surprised if there's a major showdown in the next 6-12 months. I'm sure the IDF can take on Iran's forces with no problem, the only wild cards now are the supply routes and oil prices.
They (Israel) exists. That is more than enough reason. This goes all they way back to Issac and Ishmael.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules