Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can I make a image of a CD that works like a CD?

Can I make a image of a CD that works like a CD?
The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2007, 12:59 PM

I have a proprietary program that will only install on a PC, and then, only run if I have the actual disk in my drive. (yes, I do have a licensed copy). The need to use this program is the only reason I got Parallels.

However, I don't want to carry the disk around in my laptop all the time! Can I somehow use Disk Utility to create an image of the CD, and then somehow point Parallels and/or the application to the image and leave the disk home? T.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 02:34 PM

Of course. Create a disk image in OSX, and then tell Parallels to use that image as the CDROM drive. Or create a disk image in Windows and use daemon tools inside your virtual environment to mount it as a CDROM drive.

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2007, 03:11 PM

Cool, thanks for the response. Can you give me a little more info? Like, a lot more info I would prefer a method that would not require that I constantly switch anything around to use my CD drive for something else - but if that's not an option so be it.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Cool, thanks for the response. Can you give me a little more info? Like, a lot more info I would prefer a method that would not require that I constantly switch anything around to use my CD drive for something else - but if that's not an option so be it.
1. Insert CD into your CD drive
2. Go to Disk Utility and select the disk
3. Click "New Image" at the top of the window
4. Select the image format as "DVD/CD master" and encryption to "none" and save it to somewhere were you won't loose it (like ~/Documents)
5. Hit save and a window should pop up with a progress bar with the text "Creating Image "<name of CD>.cdr""
6. When its finished open up Parallels and go to the VM's configuration page and go to "CD/DVD-ROM 1"
7. Select "Use image file", click the "..." button and select the disk image.
8. save the configuration and XP should recognize it as a CD in a CD drive when you load XP.

When it comes to having a drive for other CDs/DVDs, I think you could just add another virtual drive to your XP VM.
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Nov 3, 2007 at 03:32 PM. )
Signature depreciated.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2007, 04:04 PM

An alternative would be to make an ISO image from inside Parallels using the donateware tool ISO Recorder.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2007, 06:49 PM

thanks for the info... I just tried it using C.A.T.S.'s instructions but it's telling me "Error: This program cannot run without the original CD in the drive"

that must be some serious drm.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 07:54 PM

Open Windows Explorer inside Parallels... does the CD drive appear to contain the disk for your app?

What app is it? You could always download a no-cd crack (which I have no moral qualms about suggesting, since you are legally licensed).

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2007, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Open Windows Explorer inside Parallels... does the CD drive appear to contain the disk for your app?
Ah good point. Yes, it's there as the CD. Still doesn't work tho. I remember in a older version of the application I was able to go into the "info" window of a certain file and then redirect it to point at the program's database that I transferred to the local HD. Unfortunately, I can't remember what file it was, and in playing around with it I can't seem to find it. They probably changed it. Anyway, it's a publication of the abms. As for ripping it, I used to use mactheripper for dvds, but I tried it and it won't work.

Wait, if you're launching a program that insists that a file needed to use it (i.e., a database) must be taken from the CD, removing any copy protection will have no effect. no? Well, I guess that by using the image I should have been able to get around that if it were true. Hrmmm, is the d: drive the typical drive for a PC's CD? Kinda weird.
( Last edited by The Wolf; Nov 3, 2007 at 11:12 PM. )

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by legacyb4 View Post
An alternative would be to make an ISO image from inside Parallels using the donateware tool ISO Recorder.
Just tried it. Not letting me copy the disk. I guess b/c it's not an .iso file? Its got about 3 folder on the root level and many more beyond that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules