Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Keyboard/Glossy Screen

MacBook Keyboard/Glossy Screen
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2006, 06:16 PM

I haven't posted in a long time, but these new macbooks got me back in the swing of things.

Anyway, I've always loved mac keyboards. However, I don't know if the macbook keyboard is my favorite (after limited used at the apple store).

I was hoping its just one of those things that you get used to.

Also the glossy screen is cool and also makes me nervous.

I've been waiting for the 13.3 ibook for years now and it finally came. But now that it's here how do people like the things some of us weren't expecting.

How is the keyboard for typing on? I write a lot (blogs, papers).

Does the glossy screen make it better, worse, same than the ibook screen?

I assume if I bought one of these machines, I'd get used to it and fall in love.

However, maybe I need to save more money and get with the Pro version (as I know I love those keyboards).

thanks for any opinions.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 01:37 PM

The MacBook keyboard is simply awesome. It's not removable, so this enables it to really feel solid.

The screen is way better than the iBook's. It's glossy, but you really don't notice when you're using it. It's very bright and looks great. The colors seem a little washed out compared to my 20" iMac's display but the iMac's is one of the best displays I've ever seen.

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 03:52 PM

I'll second the approval of the keyboard and screen. Something about the keyboard spacing was a little off to me at first and took some readjusting, but other than that, I love the feel of it. The screen is great; I hardly ever notice the glossiness is a negative way and it's so bright that usually having it much past half up on the brightness would hurt my eyes. In lower light, my preference is actually to only have it at the fourth level up from the bottom. That's a huge difference from my 12" PB, which I'd often have all the way up and still want to be brighter.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Nov 13, 2006, 04:00 PM

The glossy screen is troublesome when it's dirty (right now I have several smudges that are visible even when the screen is on), but overall I'm very pleased with it. The keyboard was a little awkward at first, probably due to the difference in spacing from my iBook 12" that I migrated from, but I am used to it now and very happy with it...

peterauch21
Nov 13, 2006, 04:08 PM

The keyboard is awesome. Might take a little typing to get used to it but not a whole lot. The glossy screen is also very good. Right now I'm using a matte screen and its just not the same. Not nearly as sharp or as bright. The only thing is that when you are in a bright area that you can get some glare issues. But that can be easily fixed by either moving the screen or adjusting the light.

Forum Links
Forum Rules