Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Your thoughts on SafariSpeed 2.0

Your thoughts on SafariSpeed 2.0
peterauch21
Nov 21, 2006, 03:32 PM

Does it actually speed anything up? It saddens me to see my XP machine beat my mac in the race of loading web pages. What are your opinions and thoughts?

jaydon34
Senior User
Nov 21, 2006, 03:35 PM

I'm guessing you don't have an Intel Mac , correct?
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

peterauch21  (op)
Nov 21, 2006, 03:51 PM

i have a macbook.

jaydon34
Senior User
Nov 21, 2006, 03:56 PM

surprising. I would say empty your cache. But my macbook flies when surfing the net. I don't use safari though. I went to from safari --> Firefox --> Firefox intel optimized --> Camino and then finally settled on Camino intel build as my browser of choice. Its good and offers many of the features that Firefox offers check it out. I'm guess safari won't get any better until 10.5 is released.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

More Cowbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 06:43 PM

What is "Firefox Intel Optimized"?

kick52
Baninated
Nov 21, 2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
What is "Firefox Intel Optimized"?
it is a firefox build optimized for intel proccessors, made so it will run faster on those machines.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 08:55 PM

I am the developer of SafariSpeed 2.0, so I am a bit biased in this response, but I hope to explain to you how SafariSpeed works and why it does indeed speed up Safari.

SafariSpeed has three features aimed at improving Safari's performance: disabling the page loading delay, disabling favorite icons, and disabling the cache. I'll try and explain what effect each of these has.

When Apple made Safari, they built in a page loading delay. This delay causes the browser to wait one second before it begins to display a page. SafariSpeed removes this delay, so pages begin to be displayed as soon as they are downloaded.

Favorite icons are the small pictures that appear in the address bar next to the web address and in the bookmarks menu and manager. Each time you visit a website, Safari downloads and saves to your computer one of these tiny little pictures to represent the site. Afterwards, every time you load Safari, all of these favorite icons are loaded into memory to generate the pretty pictures for the bookmarks menu. By disabling the storage (but not display, since this has no effect on performance) of these favorite icons, SafariSpeed reduces the time it takes Safari to load.

Finally, disabling the cache can increase performance for users on broadband, since it is often faster to load the page directly from the server rather than from your hard drive.

You can read more about what SafariSpeed does on my website: scifience :: safarispeed

I'll be the first to admit that all of the things SafariSpeed does can be done without it if you know what you are doing and are comfortable using the Terminal (and Developer Tools for the Aqua modification). However, SafariSpeed aims to make it easy for the average user to apply these modifications safely.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scifience View Post
Finally, disabling the cache can increase performance for users on broadband, since it is often faster to load the page directly from the server rather than from your hard drive.
Have you tried this on the latest nightly builds? *Anything* over the network being faster than local points to a highly broken implementation, afaict (which makes some sense, since the released version of Safari is known to have a messed up cache implementation).

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 11:10 PM

I've run Safari Speed for some time now and have always been pleased with it. Does it make Safari blindingly fast? Nope. But it was a noticable bump when I first installed it.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Scifience
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man View Post
Have you tried this on the latest nightly builds? *Anything* over the network being faster than local points to a highly broken implementation, afaict (which makes some sense, since the released version of Safari is known to have a messed up cache implementation).
The cache issue isn't nearly as bad in the nightly builds. In the latest nightlies, it is only faster to have the cache off when accessing intranet sites or if you have a *really* fast connection. It is still faster with the cache off on a gigabit fiber link, for example. For the average user, though, this feature will likely lose its usefulness in 10.5 (or whenever they release a fixed version).

Forum Links
Forum Rules