Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple service is FAST but....

Apple service is FAST but....
Heavy
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2006, 12:32 PM

... my macbook still doesn't charge right. I plug the AC in and it goes green to orange to off. If I keep playing around with the adapter and replugging it in, I can sometimes get the orange to stay on.

Prior to sending my MB to Apple, they sent a new adapter, because I thought that mine had a short or something. But my MB still wouldn't charge right. So I sent the MB to them. They fixed the heat issue. Replaced heat sink and now this thing runs totally cool. Awesome. So this morning, I go to plug it in, and get the orange light. All is good. I walk by it a few minutes later and it's off.

Anyone have any ideas?

peterauch21
Dec 4, 2006, 04:58 PM

Is it possible to test your MB with someone elses AC adapter? However since apple already sent you a new one it sounds like there might be something wrong with the connection on the laptop side not the adapter since it is able to charge but then other times it wont (and that it's been the same results with different adapters). Check to make sure that there isnt any dirt or anything else that might block the connection between the adapter and the laptop. Look at the mag safe connection on the laptop and make sure it isnt lose or anything like that.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 4, 2006, 09:15 PM

OK, try this:

The next time the adapter goes off, unplug it from the wall for a couple of seconds, then plug it back in.

If it works again, try putting it on a top-quality surge protector.

Apple AC adapters detect "dirty" AC power and will shut off to protect themselves against it. Using power conditioning (beginning with a good surge protector) will stop that problem.

tooki

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2006, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the help bro's. Today I went to charge and the light of course went off after it flashed to orange. I unplugged from the wall and plug it in half way so it's sort've just hanging and the light has stayed in orange mode so far.

I'll try the adapter tooki. Thanx!

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
Thanks for the help bro's. Today I went to charge and the light of course went off after it flashed to orange. I unplugged from the wall and plug it in half way so it's sort've just hanging and the light has stayed in orange mode so far.

I'll try the adapter tooki. Thanx!
i had an identical problem with my powerbook, another replacement adaptor is probably all you'll need. you might have received two dud adaptors in a row, it wouldn't be the first time! does the adaptor overheat? (hot is normal, but is it too hot to touch?)
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2006, 10:53 PM

Get another adaptor, ideally from someone you know - and who knows it works.

Try it with your Macbook. That'll narrow it down.
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2006, 11:01 PM

Check to make sure there are no pins stuck down sometimes dirt will cause them to stay down. Also try to reset the pram and PMU

Forum Links
Forum Rules