Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > which to buy: best Macbook or best Macbook Pro?

which to buy: best Macbook or best Macbook Pro?
phrozted
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 08:59 PM

Money here isn't an issue. I just want to hear your opinions on the big difference between a fully loaded Macbook and the top-of-the-line Macbook Pro.

Obviously the Pro is the better machine overall, but I like the smaller size of the Macbook. Also, I've had a Pro before, and the aluminum case was pretty flimsy. I've heard the Macbook's case was sturdier. I've also heard that the Macbook might get better wireless reception because it doesn't have to deal with the interference of an aluminum case, and I do use my computer all the time all over the place, so this is important.

Then again, application load times are important to me. I like things to open immediately, and I hate it when my computer has to take forever bringing something up. Also, I'm a little interested in video editing, and although I haven't graduated from iMovie to Final Cut Pro, I've heard that the latter is infitely better on the Macbook Pro.

I don't really play video games much, but I used to play them all the time, and I guess there's some slim chance that I might play one in the future.

The backlit keyboard on the Macbook isn't an issue for me at all.

Another thing: I don't like the hook latches on the Pro. On my old Pro, one of the hook springs dislodged itself. I like the simplicity of the Macbook's magnetic clasp.

But the POWER of the Pro is so sexy.

I do hope to run Vista on either machine.

I use mainly email (Apple Mail), Firefox, and word processing (Word/Pages), but occasionally I use iMovie, and I live in iPhoto. Obviously, I'm in iTunes all the time, too.

Any advice?

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2007, 09:05 PM

For me, it came down to: Will whatever it is you're doing require a good graphics card or not? If yes: MBP. If no: MB.
Also, do you like a bigger or smaller screen: Bigger: MBP. Smaller: MB.

For me, there was NO justification for the MB. I do serious PS work, the MB handles it just fine.

Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2007, 09:06 PM

no need to double post.

You don't even need the top of the line MacBook if you don't want it. If you know that Mail, Word, iMovie, and iPhoto are about all you'll do, the baseline MacBook might be for you... the only caveat being that darn Combo Drive. MacBook Pro would be a waste of money for you.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 4, 2007, 09:13 PM

Cross posting is a Bad Thing™.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2007, 09:22 PM

I'd go with the MacBook. It doesn't sound like you need the power of the MBP enough to justify the huge price increase.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 02:19 PM

I have a 17" PowerBook that has been very nice, but I will be buying a new MacBook with an 23 or 24" external monitor shortly.
I do miss my 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook for the ability to put it in a backpack and not notice it. I had the 15" PowerBook before the 17" and while the monitors are amazing I find the small laptop a lot nicer to carry around.

When I am at home I will use my bluetooth keyboard and mouse on my closed MacBook with an external monitor plugged in.
Best of both worlds.

Mac Hammer Fan
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2007, 03:28 PM

MacPro SixCore 3.33 Westmere - MacBook SR 2.2 Ghz - PowerMac Dual G5 2.3
Besides Macs, I love Gothic Horror Films

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
That's quite a visual hammer.

Yet I had a first gen. black MacBook 2.0 Ghz and it rocked for my purposes which admittedly aren't using Pro apps.
I think we have the same compy... 2.0 black 2GB c2d... I DO use quite a few pro apps (final cut express, Aperture, CS3), along with the normal iApps, with no problem

I keep brining this up, because it seems like people REALLY underestimate the MB. For the price difference, somebody needs to point that out.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2007, 05:01 PM

You guys act like graphics makes the MB suck.
If you don't do 3d stuff, it nearly is irrelevant.
I use both my 2.0 2GB MB and GF's 2.4 2GB 256 graphics interchangably, and the MBP ABSOLUTELY doesn't feel faster. It's faster in encoding a bit, but that's from the processor.

HowEver
Nov 5, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Hammer Fan View Post
That's quite a visual hammer.

Yet I had a first gen. black MacBook 2.0 Ghz and it rocked for my purposes which admittedly aren't using Pro apps.

wobbly
Nov 5, 2007, 09:30 PM

I think that you should purchase the minimum when it comes to computers etc. Everything changes so fast, what is "the best" today may be limping along in a few short years. If you purchase it as an investment, well consumer electronics are disposable these days. Nearly everyone I know who has the fastest/best laptop, with few exceptions, does not need them. There is nothing wrong with getting top of the line if that is your thing but a "lesser" machine will be just as capable for most people.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Nov 6, 2007, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mac Hammer Fan View Post
And, yet, for most Mac consumers (I myself included, the only thing I feel left out of is TF2), GMA is plenty sufficient.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

MacPhly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2007, 01:17 PM

Does Apple now still have the offer of free Nano for purchase of a MacBook through educational discount? Or, are there other special offers for edu discount purchases? Can someone tell me where I can find such info?
Thanks.

Kestral
Senior User
Nov 7, 2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by MacPhly View Post
Does Apple now still have the offer of free Nano for purchase of a MacBook through educational discount? Or, are there other special offers for edu discount purchases? Can someone tell me where I can find such info?
Thanks.
This is where you find Apple promos:
Apple - Product Promotions

The Back To School promo you are referring to is over.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by phrozted View Post
I'm a little interested in video editing, and although I haven't graduated from iMovie to Final Cut Pro, I've heard that the latter is infitely better on the Macbook Pro.
FCP runs very capably on a MacBook. The main advantages of the MBP for editing are the larger screen and Firewire 800. Graphics card doesn't make any difference for FCP.

Now Motion on the other hand, there is a world of difference between the MB and MBP with Motion - primarily in real-time previewing, which uses the GPU. I imagine the new MacBooks will perform rather better than the old ones, but I'm willing to bet they will still get spanked by the 'Pro in Motion.

But if it's editing (rather than motion graphics or 3D) that you're into, then the MacBook should do just fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules