Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > It's that time again... Post your iTunes Top 25

It's that time again... Post your iTunes Top 25 (Page 9)
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 09:03 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 09:10 AM

Like most artists from that time period/genre, who knew they were still alive? If I remember, I'll have to listen to a sample.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 10:10 AM

I think it's more that someone decided to do a remix, and then others followed. The "band" itself is probably long gone.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 10:12 AM

I only glanced at the wiki entry, but it says they're still active.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 10:13 AM

But for curiosity's sake:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
They first had chart success with the singles "What Can You Do For Me" (UK #10), "Something Good" (their biggest UK success at #4) and "Believe In Me", a UK #8 chart hit, which they described as their vocal sample trilogy as those singles sampled Gwen Guthrie, Kate Bush and Human League respectively ("What Can You Do For Me" also features a sample from Eurythmics). Contrary to one rumour, the band were not sued by Kate Bush over the use of a sample from Bush's track "Cloudbusting" in the Utah Saints track "Something Good" - the sample was legally cleared before use. Additionally, Bush sold Utah Saints footage from the video of her original song. This track is currently experiencing a revival in the clubs in 2008 with new remixes by Van She, High Contrast, Prok & Fitch, eSquire, Ian Carey and more.

Utah Saints then moved away from vocal samples with singles such as "I Want You" and "I Still Think Of You" (Jez Willis providing original vocals on each).
After their debut album, the self-titled Utah Saints, and one further single "Ohio", Utah Saints seemed to disappear for several years, though they were still busy doing remixes (for a diverse range of artists including Blondie, Human League, Hawkwind, Simple Minds, James, Annie Lennox and The Osmonds and the theme to the 1995 blockbuster, Mortal Kombat), and producing tracks for other artists such as Terrorvision. During this time, they recorded an album that was to be called "Wired World" but was never released, and produced a handful of Utah Saints tracks that to date have never had a proper release either, with titles such as "Star", "Train" and "Rock".

They eventually re-appeared in late 1999 with charting singles "Love Song", "Funky Music" (featuring Edwin Starr on guest vocals), "Power To The Beats" and "Lost Vagueness" (featuring Chrissie Hynde), by releasing the album Two. Also in 2000, Utah Saints did the soundtrack for the video game Carmageddon TDR2000. In 2002 they went back into hibernation only to surface again in 2008 with a single release. The band are notorious amongst their fans and the dance music community for taking a long time in between their releases - their first album Utah Saints and follow-up album Two were released seven years apart.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 10:14 AM

Their "new single" refers to the remix version that's currently doing the rounds. Their last original release seems to have been in 2002.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2008, 06:51 PM

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 08:06 PM

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2008, 09:29 PM

iScrobbler only uploaded half my plays this week. Uploading them after didn't update my weekly charts :/

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 10:38 AM

Unique Artists: 129
Total Tracks: 279
Total Plays: 295

Bad week, forgot my iPod one day, and accidentally left it running on an artist (not shown here) another day.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2008, 03:17 AM

Finally some decent plays again:

Unique Artists: 193
Total Tracks: 426
Total Plays: 607

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 08:11 AM

Snap! You really like throwing the curve balls.

I thought Coldplay's new one was surprisingly short (45 minutes?).

I'm looking for that Party Ben song when I get home (If I remember).

---

Did anyone notice that for a moment this or last week, you could sort your stuff by month instead of week? (Though it didn't work)

Tiresias
Jul 2, 2008, 09:07 AM

Anyone know a good freeware app for iTunes statistics of the "Most Played This Week/Month" variety?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 09:12 AM

I look fairly regularly for iTunes stats programs, and I can tell you with confidence it doesn't exist.

I'm not sure iTunes keeps the data necessary for an accurate representation. last.fm records each instance of when a track was played, while iTunes only records the last instance of when the track was played.

Tiresias
Jul 2, 2008, 09:19 AM

Couldn't you smart playlist a "Most Recently Played" and then organize it by play count? Would that give you the same thing? Um, I honestly can't say.

Too many gin and tonics for me.

Edit: Of course not. Too bad.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Couldn't you smart playlist a "Most Recently Played" and then organize it by play count? Would that give you the same thing? Um, I honestly can't say.

Too many gin and tonics for me.
Play count is a sum of the track's lifetime. There is no splitting it up into time periods.

Tiresias
Jul 2, 2008, 09:33 AM

By Genre:

Classical:

Contemporary:

Books and Literature:

This excludes media that's been to my library in the last year or two. Strangely I've been going through an 80s flashback lately. Plus Rokysopp, Mazzy Star, Cat Power, Babyshambles, Signor Ros, Johnny Cash, Eminem, et al.
( Last edited by Tiresias; Jul 2, 2008 at 09:42 AM. )

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I thought Coldplay's new one was surprisingly short (45 minutes?).
That's part of its charm. I think it's easily their best to date.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
That's part of its charm. I think it's easily their best to date.
Not even close. That'd be Rush of Blood.

I've listened to it 3 times the past week (which is high for me) and each time, I don't even recall hearing the songs. I'll just suddenly realize it's ended. It leaves no impression. Very weird.

Looks like I need to sit down and just listen to it. On the flip side, there are no bad tracks. There's something very all-occasion or inoffensive about the album. Can't put my finger on it.

---

That last.fm beta is awful. Why they're going that direction I don't know. I'm happy enough with how things are.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; Jul 3, 2008 at 09:02 AM. )

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2008, 12:12 PM

Not even close. That'd be Rush of Blood.
Nah, I find that one too uneven and too long. I'm not a big fan of "A Whisper" and I find "Amsterdam" tremendously overrated. Still, it was my favorite until this one.

I've listened to it 3 times the past week (which is high for me) and each time, I don't even recall hearing the songs. I'll just suddenly realize it's ended. It leaves no impression. Very weird.

Looks like I need to sit down and just listen to it. On the flip side, there are no bad tracks. There's something very all-occasion or inoffensive about the album. Can't put my finger on it.
Yeah, we're exactly opposite on this one. The flow and the intro/outro give it an "album" feel that the others don't have (to my ears). I'm also struck by how different and non-conventional Coldplay-like it is. It can be a chore for me to get through other Coldplay albums in one listen, but this one makes me want to play it back-to-back.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2008, 12:56 PM

Nah, I find that one too uneven and too long.
Too long?! It's under an hour! Do you struggle with tracks that are over 4 minutes, too?

I'm not a big fan of "A Whisper" and I find "Amsterdam" tremendously overrated. Still, it was my favorite until this one.
Amsterdam is awful. The album would have been even better if had ended on aRoBttH. Can't say I'm a big fan of Whisper, but at least it isn't that weird whiney that Green Eyes is.

Yeah, we're exactly opposite on this one. The flow and the intro/outro give it an "album" feel that the others don't have (to my ears). I'm also struck by how different and non-conventional Coldplay-like it is. It can be a chore for me to get through other Coldplay albums in one listen, but this one makes me want to play it back-to-back.
Well, I never have to get through an album, that's why there's a skip button. Anyway, I listened to this one on random, so as to keep my judgment of the songs objective. I never noticed the breaks, however.

I'll give you that this is stronger than most albums (of anything) as a whole, but at the cost of sounding the same all around. I guess if you're concerned with albums over songs, that's fine, but I'll take my Scientists, Rushes of Blood, and My Places, over this every single day of the week.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2008, 02:21 PM

Too long?! It's under an hour! Do you struggle with tracks that are over 4 minutes, too?
No. I meant too long because there's too much filler, which you acknowledged here:

Amsterdam is awful. The album would have been even better if had ended on aRoBttH. Can't say I'm a big fan of Whisper, but at least it isn't that weird whiney that Green Eyes is.
Coldplay's supposed to be whiny! I like "Green Eyes."

Well, I never have to get through an album, that's why there's a skip button. Anyway, I listened to this one on random, so as to keep my judgment of the songs objective. I never noticed the breaks, however.

I'll give you that this is stronger than most albums (of anything) as a whole, but at the cost of sounding the same all around. I guess if you're concerned with albums over songs, that's fine, but I'll take my Scientists, Rushes of Blood, and My Places, over this every single day of the week.
I love shuffle and skip, but I like to take in albums as a whole on the first few listens (and sometimes on revisits). I honestly believe VLV has stronger songs. "In My Place," my clear favorite on Rush, is the only one I'd consider to be better than "Lost!," "Yes," "42," "Viva la Vida," and "Death and All of His Friends." "Lost!" may be replacing "Shiver" as my all-time favorite by them.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2008, 02:34 PM

No. I meant too long because there's too much filler, which you acknowledged here:

Aw, well... at the risk of sounding completely retarded, I think sometimes the filler helps highlight the strong stuff. This coming from someone who can't truly think of a single CD I can always listen to front to back.

Coldplay's supposed to be whiny! I like "Green Eyes."
Perhaps, but that hits a level of pathetic and annoying I have not noticed from the rest of their catalogue.

I love shuffle and skip, but I like to take in albums as a whole on the first few listens (and sometimes on revisits). I honestly believe VLV has stronger songs. "In My Place," my clear favorite on Rush, is the only one I'd consider to be better than "Lost!," "Yes," "42," "Viva la Vida," and "Death and All of His Friends." "Lost!" may be replacing "Shiver" as my all-time favorite by them.
Only in the past year or two have I made an effort to listen to all albums all the way through on the first listen. Interestingly, we agree on "In My Place" being the best on aRoBttH. It's the guitar that does it for me. The rest you're nutso on.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2008, 03:45 PM

Aw, well... at the risk of sounding completely retarded, I think sometimes the filler helps highlight the strong stuff. This coming from someone who can't truly think of a single CD I can always listen to front to back.

Perhaps, but that hits a level of pathetic and annoying I have not noticed from the rest of their catalogue.

Only in the past year or two have I made an effort to listen to all albums all the way through on the first listen. Interestingly, we agree on "In My Place" being the best on aRoBttH. It's the guitar that does it for me. The rest you're nutso on.
...says the guy with 4 personalities. I bet the third would agree with me.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2008, 03:52 PM

My god the new Last.FM is awful. This current version is bad enough. Their original non-web2.0 was the best one
we don't have time to stop for gas

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2008, 06:49 PM

There's a new Last.fm? Looks the same as it has the last year or so

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2008, 06:51 PM

*raise eyebrow*

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 09:33 AM

I love last.fm. Somehow Viva la Vida doesn't have an album entry yet.

NateB
Jul 8, 2008, 11:37 AM

I like Coldplay .

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 11:41 AM

Man, listening to a song 79 times in such a short period would make me want to shoot myself.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2008, 09:31 PM

Is that the new beta style?

No real plays to blog home about this week:

Unique Artists: 38
Total Tracks: 58
Total Plays: 59

I got a few new songs this week though, so plays should be back up again next week

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Is that the new beta style?
Yes, sir. To strike fear in the hearts of the many, I'll give you my first impression: MySpace.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 07:30 PM

Yeah, a little bit MySpace, but I think the improvements will make it better overall.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 07:13 PM

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 07:52 PM

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 11:53 AM

July was a bad month as I wasn't around, so here's my contribution for the first full week of August.

Unique Artists: 214
Total Tracks: 386
Total Plays: 412

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 07:13 PM

Top artists last week:

Top Albums last week:

Top songs last three months:

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2008, 11:59 AM

I spent the entire week trying put myself together after hearing Hide & Seek.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2008, 12:28 PM

Avril Lavigne eh?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2008, 12:30 PM

Unashamedly.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 02:18 AM

I spent the entire week trying put myself together after hearing Hide & Seek.
You cried too, hey?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2008, 09:05 AM

You cried too, hey?
Not exactly. It was unlike anything I have or heard or could have expected. The first two or three listens I was mostly in shock and confusion. Which are odd emotions for a song to elicit.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2008, 08:57 AM

Could it possibly take longer for the weekly charts to be calculated anymore?
I suppose it's only fair given how quickly it recalculates your Last 7 after a large scrobble.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2008, 11:32 AM

Listening to music on my iPhone these days has KILLED my Last.fm life...

Getting new speakers at work will probably inspire me to play through my MBP more often. I'm also thinking of using the old iPod as my music player again.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Aug 26, 2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the friggin' image.)

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2008, 11:37 AM

A decent glance around google reveals no scrobbling capabilities for the iPhone. That is unfortunate.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
A decent glance around google reveals no scrobbling capabilities for the iPhone. That is unfortunate.
Yeah, I looked everywhere before purchasing, but it's no big deal. Since I can't put my whole library on it, I listen to a ton of podcasts on it anyways.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2008, 11:42 AM

Wow...how did I miss all the Coldplay conversation weeks ago?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Latest iScrobbler supports the iPhone.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 11:34 AM

Latest iScrobbler supports the iPhone.
Reeeeally? Well, that solves that. *going to update*

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Wow...how did I miss all the Coldplay conversation weeks ago?
Feel free to chime in, so I can tell you your opinion is wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules