Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Briefly: more Apple YouTube channels; POP issues in iOS 9, OS X 10.11

Briefly: more Apple YouTube channels; POP issues in iOS 9, OS X 10.11
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 12, 2015, 02:38 AM

Following some localized YouTube channels for Apple's videos in South Korea and Japan over the summer, four new official Apple channels -- for Spain, France, Germany, and Italy -- now offer local-language versions of Apple's recent and older videos for new products and services. Not counting the US-based "original" channel, the Japanese version has thus far proven the most popular, attracting more than 10,000 subscribers after less than three months. Of the four new European channels, France has about half as many subscribers as the others.

Users of iOS 9, OS X 10.11 El Capitan reporting POP email issues

While admittedly a fairly outdated technology these days, POP email accounts are still in use by millions who rely on accounts set up by local ISPs who don't offer an alternative, or have had a particular email address for longer than IMAP has been in wide use. First reported by iOS 9 users, MacNN has also received reports of problems from OS X 10.11 El Capitan users who report that emails with attachments may not offer the option to download those attachments, or claim that they haven't been downloaded from the server.

The problem seems specific to Mail (the built-in native Mac app) on both systems, with some users reporting that using webmail or an alternative email program provides a workaround for the issue. Complicating the issue is that POP servers are generally configured by default to deliver a copy of the email to the first device that logs in, and then delete the email from the ISP's server -- severing a link that may be needed if the attachment or image in the email was not fully downloaded. Devices running iOS leave POP messages on the server by default, but other devices checking the account could cause the message to be removed. Apple is aware of the issue, but it is not yet clear if the problem has been resolved in iOS 9.1 or OS X 10.11.1, both currently in beta testing.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2015, 09:19 AM

I have a different problem with Mail and IMAP servers. About once a day Mail crashes when I send an email. Apple is getting the error messages, so hopefully there will be a fix.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2015, 02:03 PM

I have always found Apple Mail to be problematic with POP accounts. Configuring new email accounts using Mail's so-called "Wizard" is a royal pain in the arse if your email provider isn't one of the Usual Suspects. It wants you to use IMAP darn it and Too Bad if you want to configure your POP3 accounts manually because The Wizard throws up road blocks during the process.

After testing myriad paid and free email apps (I am not interested in using webmail...) I finally settled on GyazMail. Yes, it costs $18 and it doesn't allow the creation of HTML mail (but it does display HTML properly). What it does do is allow me to easily configure multiple POP3 accounts hosted by my preferred email host Runbox.com. (I use a couple of domains I own as well as several GMail accounts.)

GyazMail makes it easy to use rules/filters to redirect mail from my inbox to dedicated folders based on sender, subject and other permanent and temporary criteria. And I don't need to spend extra money for plugins that are often necessary to make Mail fully functional. Those plugins can wind up costing $50-$100 which make Apple Mail the most expensive "free" email client on the market.

I still miss the nearly perfect Eudora... I used Eudora for 15 years until OS upgrades and a lack of development made its continued use problematic. Nothing comes close to it these days but GyazMail is pretty darn good.

elroth
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2015, 03:59 PM

I've had similar POP issues with Yosemite (I went straight from Snow Leopard to Yosemite - SL was fine). Sometimes attachments don't appear in the email that's sent to my inbox, but I can go online to my ISP's webmail and see them there. Most attachments are sent with no problem, but I've never figured out why some aren't.

MitchIves
Oct 13, 2015, 03:47 PM

Yep, have had issues with Cox POP accounts since the updates...

Forum Links
Forum Rules