Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > installing Windows XP on an iMac

installing Windows XP on an iMac
drmuppy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2009, 02:58 PM

I have an iMac with OS X (Leopard 10.5.7). I am trying to install Windows XP with Bootcamp. I have partitioned my hard drive to 32 GB for Bootcamp. When I insert my Windows XP disk, my computer freezes with a gray screen.

I have tried the Apple website and have downloaded the iMac patch which is supposed to correct this problem. When I try to install the patch, my computer tells me that the patch is not needed.

drmuppy

Cold Warrior
May 30, 2009, 03:07 PM

Did you partition your iMac using Boot Camp Assistant? Is the XP disc Service Pack 2 or higher? What happens when you insert the disc, shutdown your iMac, then hold option at startup? (You should get the option of choosing between OS X and the XP disc.)

drmuppy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2009, 03:32 PM

Yes, I did create the partition with Bootcamp Assistant, and yes I am using a retail version of Windows XP w/ SP2. The computer will not go to the windows disk to install the OS, it just freezes at the gray screen. Holding the option key on boot-up will not do anything if the Windows OS is not being read by the computer. Right?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2009, 03:36 PM

Wrong.

If holding the option key does not present you with the boot manager (it will do this even if only a single bootable volume is present), then something is broken, or you have a firmware password set.

drmuppy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2009, 09:55 AM

I appreciate the attempts to help, but perhaps I am not fully explaining my challenge. While it is correct that holding down the option key while starting my iMac does give me a boot option screen (a very pretty image of my OS X hard drive and the inserted Windows CD), it DOES NOT install windows XP onto my Bootcamp established partition. THAT is what I am trying to do.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2009, 10:33 AM

So:

You're getting the boot manager, and clicking on the Windows CD, and then clicking the little "Continue" arrow at the bottom right, and THEN it hangs at a gray screen?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2009, 10:35 AM

Is that one a 32 bit version of XP?.

Is that iMac patch some sort of firmware update?. Wasn't it, is there any available for it?.

Cold Warrior
May 31, 2009, 11:17 AM

Double-check this thread to ensure you have the right firmware.
http://forums.macnn.com/109/alternat...ight-firmware/

Also unplug any peripherals at startup (printers, firewire/usb drives, even the mouse).

drmuppy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2009, 07:18 PM

To Cold Warrior, I followed the link you kindly provided, which then linked me to a page that the Apple site "cannot find". Spheric Harlot asks what happens when I click the arrow below the Windows drive icon of a option key influenced startup. The answer is that the computer hangs and the screen in gray. While not wanting to sound flip here, am I the only one who has ever experienced this problem with an iMac? I suspected that this was at least an occasional glitch from time to time for others. Is it that I am so late to the Bootcamp party that others have already moved so far beyond this initial challenge? I have used bootcamp to install Windows XP on my new aluminum Mac Book without any difficulty at all.

While I am interested in your input, is there any respondent who owns an iMac as described (2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) who actually experienced a comparable version as mine.

ibook_steve
Jun 1, 2009, 03:46 AM

Check the Windows CD. The Windows installer is very picky about optical media. Make sure there are no scratches. You could also try making a clean copy of the install CD and try booting with that.

I'm not sure why you are getting a gray screen hang.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules