Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help! PowerBook won't even start?

Help! PowerBook won't even start?
EvanV
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 08:35 PM

My PowerBook won't start up for some odd reason. I just formatted and then I had pressed update (Where you can update the OS and the battery update etc.). Anyways, as that was happening I plugged in my iPod then a gray screen came up and said I needed to restart in like 7 different languages. So I restarted and can only can to where it has the white screen with the gray apple on it, which then turns into a circle with a cross through it. Can anyone tell me what to do?

Thanks.

EvanV  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 08:49 PM

BTW it's a 1.25 GHz, 15' AlBook. And I am posting this from my Windows PC because it wont start.. lol.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 25, 2004, 08:51 PM

well you just got a kernel panic. it is the equivalent of a blue screen in windows, or a bomb screen in os9. it didnt seem to like when you plugged in your ipod.

try this:
1. press the power button to turn on the computer (notice it has to be off, or restarting) right after you hear the power up tone, press ?-S. when you do this, the apple will appear for a few seconds, then a DOS-like terminal will come up. this is super user mode, from here you can really screw up your computer, so only go in here if you know what your doing. when it does show up, and you get a prompt after lots of text flashes by, go to step 2

2. if you are in 10.3, type fsck -f, if you are in 10.2 or below, type fsck- y. this is kinda like norton disk doctor for os x, but less thorough

3. after it has finished and comes up with a concluding sentence, type reboot. it will reboot, and hopefully boot right, if not, i might suggest a reinstall.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

EvanV  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 08:53 PM

Thanks Rag.. I will go try that now. I don't even know anything about Mac really as I just got it in December but I'll see what I can do

EvanV  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 09:01 PM

Hrmm, that doesnt seem to work when I press ?-S.. Maybe I am doing it wrong.. I tried about 5 times and it keeps going to that white screen with the gray apple which turns into a circle with a cross through it still.. I am assuming to re-install, I would need to get into that super mode as well? Seeing as how I cant do anything with it right now?

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 25, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by EvanV:
Thanks Rag.. I will go try that now. I don't even know anything about Mac really as I just got it in December but I'll see what I can do
no problem. always willing to help a mac user, especially a switcher

i think you will like it, just bad luck. that fixed it the last time i had this problem.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 09:28 PM

Have you tried booting from your OS X install disk?

EvanV  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 09:33 PM

Yup tried that. Tried pressing B at startup because a site said you can boot from a disk that way? Still no-go.

rsgunther
Apr 25, 2004, 10:05 PM

Actually, hold down C the whole time it is booting to boot from a CD.

If you can't boot from the install CD, I would try resetting the PRAM & doing a Power manager reset. You can find out details on this on Apple's support site.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by rsgunther:
Actually, hold down C the whole time it is booting to boot from a CD.

If you can't boot from the install CD, I would try resetting the PRAM & doing a Power manager reset. You can find out details on this on Apple's support site.

You can also boot while holding down the shift key. That is equivalent of booting without extensions in OS9. It might be a bad stratup program loading. If it works remove programs from "StartupItems" in system folder!

EvanV  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
You can also boot while holding down the shift key. That is equivalent of booting without extensions in OS9. It might be a bad stratup program loading. If it works remove programs from "StartupItems" in system folder!
Hrmm, that works!

I'll try that Startup Items solution as well.. Thanks.

I notice my internet doesnt work in safe mode.. doh!

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 26, 2004, 12:11 AM

by bad. YOUR ON A PC!!! you couldnt see the character i entered. press [apple]-s to come up with that screen. sorry bout the mixup.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
by bad. YOUR ON A PC!!! you couldnt see the character i entered. press [apple]-s to come up with that screen. sorry bout the mixup.
This may be slightly OT but what does using a PC have to do with seeing this command key symbol? I am using a Powerbook with Panther and the symbol that you offered shows as a question mark (?).
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

EvanV  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by hldan:
This may be slightly OT but what does using a PC have to do with seeing this command key symbol? I am using a Powerbook with Panther and the symbol that you offered shows as a question mark (?).
Hahha, yah I figuired it out after a while that ? doesnt do anything! Hahha, I had to look up commands on the internet because I dont even use shortcuts at all. Anyways, I couldnt do anything in super mode because it couldnt detect a root so I just booted in safe mode and formatted again.

Good to go now though. Thanks guys!

Forum Links
Forum Rules